What's new
What's new

what's a good cheap old cellphone to run SQUARE credit card reader?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
i've been using my own phone (kyocera brigadier) as a c-c reader for retail sales , which is fine for the purpose - at the
end of the day i can hose it off with soap and water. but i would prefer a stand-alone smart phone , like an iphone2
or galaxy 2 . all it has to do is run wifi and square app and hold a charge . some phones might not like to work without
service ?

any suggestions?

How about a little android tablet? They're cheap and you can run them on wi-fi only.

I've been using a Galaxy S3 since it first came out and it's been zero trouble. Love the camera. I've been starting to think it might need a replacement someday so I started to look around and I think an S4 might be next.

I use Total wireless for my cell service. Mexico telecommunications company that runs their service on the verizon wireless system. Cheap monthly rates and you could even port your other cell phone to them in case you just want to pay a 2 phone line system. For two smart phone unlimited talk/text and 15G of data I pay around $56/month.

For the phone, I run an Iphone 5S straight out of total wireless kiosk @ walmart. $150 each. I also have a 7S for my day job and honestly like my 5S better.

Been on this strategy and phone for 6+ months and everything is great. Total wireless customer support is awesome because I was on the phone with them on and off daily for a week straight and it wasn't even their issue. I screwed up the porting of the number out of Google and I couldn't figure out what I did and lost my number. They got me back on track.

I use Total wireless for my cell service. Mexico telecommunications company that runs their service on the verizon wireless system. Cheap monthly rates and you could even port your other cell phone to them in case you just want to pay a 2 phone line system. For two smart phone unlimited talk/text and 15G of data I pay around $56/month.

For the phone, I run an Iphone 5S straight out of total wireless kiosk @ walmart. $150 each. I also have a 7S for my day job and honestly like my 5S better.

Been on this strategy and phone for 6+ months and everything is great. Total wireless customer support is awesome because I was on the phone with them on and off daily for a week straight and it wasn't even their issue. I screwed up the porting of the number out of Google and I couldn't figure out what I did and lost my number. They got me back on track.

i'm not in the market for phone service . i don't care what great new phones are available. i just need a
compatible one . looks like apple is out. too expensive. i'm not going to pay more than $50 for the thing.
all it has to do is run android 4.4 or newer.

credit card assholes kept sending me c-c machines that would break after every 4-5 months, and cost me $250 to replace . over and over . they refused to replace the fucking hardware so i said no more . square chip cost
me $6 . i replaced it once , but that was before i figured out how to clean it . use pecentage is actually
cheaper than my old machine.

looking at ebay, the galaxy s3 looks promising @ under $40 all day long. i won't be able to scrub it in the
sink like the IP68 kyocera , but i won't be putting the thing up to my face , either.

With the Intuit "Go Payment" App you don't even need the crappy reader as it offers option to Scan the card at same % rate as the Swiper option.

Scanning is just like taking a picture..center card in view finder, soon as phone recognizes your done.

The square swipe thing was fine...if I could find in my desk. If I took off the phone protection cover. Scan is super easy and no more dealing with bad swipe strips.

Back