What's new
What's new

Where to build a website?

broke

Hot Rolled
What hosting site are you using for your shop website?

I don't have any needs for E-commerce so that should simplify it.

Is anyone using square space with decent results?

I looked in to having it professionally done and I'm pretty surprised how expensive it would be so i thought I'd take a crack at it.

You could look into wix.com

It's pretty straight forward and easy to get a simple site up and running. Not too terribly expensive either.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Darn near free and easy doing it yourself. For just photos and words it is easy.
We have a professional for the shop and it takes much time to get him to move on anything.
I manage kellyroadcamp.com with IPage.. that is easy and low cost.Yes it is just a hobby site but could be used for a business site.

I do like how easy Square Space looks.

I would like to be able to add some videos of our machine capabilities. Has this posed a problem for anyone?

I use Godaddy. stupid name, but the rest is good and they have very good free support, as much as you need. Use them for the hosting, domains and email

I too tackled the web site myself, speed and savings being the motivator. I was (am) a beginner to html, lots of crappy utube tutorials later I published an ok site

What hosting site are you using for your shop website?

I don't have any needs for E-commerce so that should simplify it.

Is anyone using square space with decent results?

I looked in to having it professionally done and I'm pretty surprised how expensive it would be so i thought I'd take a crack at it.

Be careful about using square space /WIX/ Website Builder / etc. While they are dead simple to use, the dont adhere to web and browser standards. This means that you get severely penalized in Google search rankings. They would be good for a personal blog or something of that sort, but if this is going to be a site for your business you will want to stick with the more traditional way of of web site building.

Not in anyway meant to insult your website michiganbuck, but with that method of building the attached photo is how Google sees your website. Very strangely formatted title, no description at all. All the text is not properly tagged to let let the GoogleBot know that it should eat it. It's important to remember that search engines just go around mindlessly scraping website content, so if it's not in the format the bot expects it has no idea what to do with it. I know it's not your intention to rank with that site, but someone else using the same methods to do so for business development/exposure would likely get the same results.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 9.47.45 AM.jpg

-Adam

I've been using square space for several years and I'm very pleased. The templates are very good, I put my site together in about a day. Toughest part was figuring out what to say and finding pics. Because it's easy to update it gets updated fairly often which helps the rankings in the search engines. As always, just my two cents.

Slap one...Think the view of your shop and hand drilling the part on the About page reduces expectations for your shop.. *Very nice work you do.

Shop photo on Sample page is fine.

You might add "One-ups to production runs" if you have space on that page in CORE SERVICES

Buck

Last edited:
Like the bench. The website makes you look like a good guy to work with. Does the website get you many calls?

Michiganbuck, good feedback on the shop pic, it's actually a 20' free standing stainless wall and I'm drilling the frame for the panels (to be installed onsite.) I'll dig up another pic. Mach2, we get a lot of calls off the site, some good some bad but overall I'm very happy with it. I have yet to get a production customer that will allow me to use photos of their products.

Yoke, I don't want to derail your thread. Again, very happy with squarespace, I think you would be too.

Hello.
Stablehost has nice hosting. Install wordpress on the back end, get a template from theme forrest,add content and you are done. Nice themes are oxygen and zephyr.

The first time around I learned Adobe Dreamwaver and spent countless hours refining the darn thing-- back then, I didn't have much business staring back at me. Not an easy way to go, too much education on the front end(but this was several years back, the software may be easier now).

Fast forward to last week-- needed to get a website up and went with Wordpress. About 90 minutes later I had a website complete with pictures and video content. If you go with Wordpress, there are numerous 3rd party apps. that improve the functionality of laying out the page-- I'd recommend using one of the page layout apps.

Toughest part was figuring out what to say and finding pics..

The photo's were easy, we take a lot along the way which I would recommend.....what to say? I didn't figure anyone ever read the text on a corporate site lol. I could probably leave it ipsum lorem and no one would notice.

Here, I'll write it for you. I can sell you more by the pound.

Here at ________ we take pride in what we do. Everyday, for every job. Equipped with the right equipment to meet your needs, our highly skilled team delivers your parts on time and to specification. Located in the __________ area, we've been supporting local business and manufactures for ____ years. Why not let us quote your next job? We promise competitive pricing and service with a smile.

GAG.....but what else are you going to say?

Back