What's new
What's new

Fake warning signs: Good idea or Bad idea?

Whatley

Cast Iron
So I am looking at a small tract of land to put a storage container on, just a place to store some odds and ends and work on car stuff/hangout. Looking to buy the land to hopefully build a shop on one day. That's a bit daydreamy right now. But the storage container is a real idea and I could make it happen.

I won't be at this place all the time. And while the storage container locks, I wanted to keep some stuff outside of it (build a small awning, put an old couch/chairs under it Etc.) And I don't have any way to properly secure it, some tracts of land have chainlink fences around most of the perimeter. Some I'd have to put one in.

So to my question: I was trying to come up with some low cost ways of keeping teenagers and hoodlums from screwing with crap, Because honestly it will probably be a pretty easy target. So I started to think about putting up signs around the Perimeter like:

[HAZARDOUS WASTE STORAGE]
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS CONTACT A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY
VOMITING
SKIN IRRITATION OR RASH
SUDDEN BLINDNESS
HEADACHES

Or whatever. And while the thought of some punk reading that and hauling ass away makes me chuckle, I'm not sure the police or the neighbors are going to find it nearly as humerous.

Y'all think it's a bad idea?

Probably won't make your neighbors too happy. Soon, you'll have the FBI there looking for a meth lab and asking a whole lot of questions. Oh and don't forget to purchase all the permits you'll need for that hazardous stuff you don't have ahead of time. :)

Best Regards,
Bob

Sit the container on some nice big fat tractor tires, chuck a few small discrete solar pannels on the roof and add your choice in electric fence charger internally. Remote on off is advised.

Have yet to see anyone cut a lock sitting north of 6Kv.

I wanted to do that years ago, before I built my shop. But I was going to take it a step further.

Island Lake Nuclear Waste Storage Facility
Beware Of Radioactive Squirrels

Then I was going to get a bunch of concrete or plastic squirrels and paint them with glow in the dark paint, and place them all along the road.

Never did it, but sure wanted to.

Josh

I have one on the inner door of my lab which looks like a laser warning sign but instead of saying Danger it says "Dang! Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!!"

Along with the warning sign I got from a former NSA facility about what is not allowed inside the site LOL.

--Hawk

I love the idea.....unfortunately as Reb said....you are probably outside of legal.....Probably the best way to keep your stuff semi-safe is to get to know your neighbors....especially if they have a teen or two around, that way when your stuff gets messed with chances are about 50/50 that the neighbors teens will know who did it.....

I'm curiuos who would let you set up camp with a container on land that isn't yours
are you renting or squatting?

Looking at buying land, I don't need street presence as I am not going the Hot Dog cart route yet. There is a lot of land in Texas.

I wanted to do that years ago, before I built my shop. But I was going to take it a step further.

Island Lake Nuclear Waste Storage Facility
Beware Of Radioactive Squirrels

Then I was going to get a bunch of concrete or plastic squirrels and paint them with glow in the dark paint, and place them all along the road.

Never did it, but sure wanted to.

Josh

That is actually pretty damn hilarious.

When I was young, we had done some excavating and there was a large pile of dirt near the roadside.

One day my brother got some paint, plywood, and a fencepost...

" DANGER! Beware of giant Pocket Gopher! "

The cars would drive by, and back up to look..
It was talked about for a wide area.

Back