Who are you buying electricity from, and what are you paying?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    12,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1507
    Likes (Received)
    2616

    Default Who are you buying electricity from, and what are you paying?

    I'm at the tail end of a contract and need to make a decision on who to buy from next. I've been harassed on a regular basis by cold call salesmen offering deals to sign contracts. I find these guys so annoying I want to blow up the phone to avoid them. On a $800 to $1000 monthly bill I'm currently paying $.83 on a 3 year contract. PPL's current default price is $.77. I'm now being offered as low as $.71 for a 3 year contract, 6 months ago it was $.66. There are similar deals on the PPL website for short terms, but I'm wondering what catches are waiting for the unaware(me).

    If I do nothing I'll default to PPL and can wait for a lower rate in the summer if that happens again. It could shoot up with the stock market, and I'll regret not signing up now. I can also choose short term promotions and jump around to whoever's cheapest at the time.

    So - how many of you use alternative suppliers and how many use the local utility? If an alternate, who are you using? How often do you change suppliers, and why?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    5,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    125
    Likes (Received)
    2172

    Default

    I think you have a decimal point in the wrong place if that is the price per KWH, if you are correct you are double what I used to pay in California and I believe they have the highest rates in the lower 48.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    894
    Likes (Received)
    406

    Default

    You're lucky to have choice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    332
    Likes (Received)
    2713

    Default

    I have no choice. I pay just over $.14/kwh when I divide the total cost by the amount of electricity used.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    123
    Likes (Received)
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I think you have a decimal point in the wrong place if that is the price per KWH, if you are correct you are double what I used to pay in California and I believe they have the highest rates in the lower 48.
    Yikes! I agree, it's likely that he means $0.083 per KWH. Up here in Oregon, it's around $0.05 to $0.11 depending on the utility which are small "monopolies" (some of the cheapest in the nation as I understand plus minimal need for A/C and even heating which is usually done by gas anyway). I think the only options are local utility or "grow your own". There are options to purchase "green" power but that, of course, is more expensive.

    The Dude

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sandy Hook, MB Canada
    Posts
    878
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I'm at the tail end of a contract and need to make a decision on who to buy from next. I've been harassed on a regular basis by cold call salesmen offering deals to sign contracts. I find these guys so annoying I want to blow up the phone to avoid them. On a $800 to $1000 monthly bill I'm currently paying $.83 on a 3 year contract. PPL's current default price is $.77. I'm now being offered as low as $.71 for a 3 year contract, 6 months ago it was $.66. There are similar deals on the PPL website for short terms, but I'm wondering what catches are waiting for the unaware(me).

    If I do nothing I'll default to PPL and can wait for a lower rate in the summer if that happens again. It could shoot up with the stock market, and I'll regret not signing up now. I can also choose short term promotions and jump around to whoever's cheapest at the time.

    So - how many of you use alternative suppliers and how many use the local utility? If an alternate, who are you using? How often do you change suppliers, and why?
    Hello Mud
    An interesting & foreign concept. These companies that you have a choice of, do they actually generate the electricity, or are they just brokers buying large amounts & then re-selling. How do they get it to you??? Who owns the distribution network? Is it open for anyone to use?
    Here in MB we have 1 choice & 1 choice only for electricity, MB Hydro. Unless of course you want to generate your own electricity (which isn't currently economically feasible).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsford, NY
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    510
    Likes (Received)
    497

    Default

    One choice?? New York has made the system crazy. This is residential, but I have 77 different suppliers of electricity available, in addition to Rochester Gas & Electric. They are all delivered by RG&E.

    RG&E | Electricity Suppliers

    Then there's the bill.

    Electricity Delivery Charges
    Customer charge 21.38
    Delivery charge 0.04181
    Transition charge - Oct -0.002756
    Transition charge - Nov -0.002313
    Revenue decoupling mech 0.000276
    Reliability support svcs. chg. 0.003521
    NY state assessment 0.00085
    SBC charge 0.006635


    Electrical Supply Charge
    Variable supply charge 0.04176774 (have to love 7 significant figures on that one)
    Merchant function charge - Oct 0.003798
    Merchantfunction charge - Nov 0.00384

    Electricity Taxes and Surcharges
    Taxes on delivery charges 2.04%

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    5,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    125
    Likes (Received)
    2172

    Default

    No choices here, I pay about $.12 per KWH. I think the bulk of it comes from the local nuke plant.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, PA
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    103

    Default

    Adams Electric Coop.

    Energy charge .07290/kwh
    WPCA (discount) -.00280/kwh

    Access charge 29.50
    Storm reserve 1.00
    Distribution charge .02580/kwh

    Adding the three rated charges comes out to .0959/kwh

    Classified as "residential all electric"

    Bill

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    12,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1507
    Likes (Received)
    2616

    Default

    Yes it's .083 not .83.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciszewski View Post
    Hello Mud
    An interesting & foreign concept. These companies that you have a choice of, do they actually generate the electricity, or are they just brokers buying large amounts & then re-selling. How do they get it to you??? Who owns the distribution network? Is it open for anyone to use?
    Here in MB we have 1 choice & 1 choice only for electricity, MB Hydro. Unless of course you want to generate your own electricity (which isn't currently economically feasible).
    I don't know all the details but a few are generators and the rest must be brokers. We pay the utility (in my case PA Power and Light - PPL) for distribution and are allowed to purchase the power from someone else, or purchase it from the utility. The distribution costs are fixed and are regulated by the PUC while the generation costs allow competitiveness in pricing. I thought this was nationwide by now.

    The general principle is great, but it's been a heyday for relentless coldcallers playing lets make a deal.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Pa
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    127

    Default

    American power and gas 6.16 cents per KWH But beware dont accept the energy saving light bulbs or they will automatically double your rates.

    Dont fall for the green energy they offer again double..

    Dont keep them for more than the year (change providers anytime you like no penalty).
    If you stay with them for the year they send you a rebate check and they double your rates..ALSO
    The rebate dosnt come close to the amount of your NEW rates.

    If they give you any crap Remind them about the Pennsylvania utility commission...One of the very few good things Pa provides. .

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Posts
    8,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1307
    Likes (Received)
    2121

    Default

    As in post #7 total cost with all the BS charges added, divided by KWH is around .158 cents/KWH. That of course can vary a bit with demand charges....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3591
    Likes (Received)
    1621

    Default

    One reason I moved where I did is the small power co-op. We buy direct from Bonneville dam and nobody profits. I can run everything in my 6500 sq ft shop balls out and heat my 3400 sq ft 1926 house at 72 degrees with electric heat and my bill for both is under $150/mo

  14. Likes jakefreese, tdmidget liked this post
  15. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    894
    Likes (Received)
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    I have no choice. I pay just over $.14/kwh when I divide the total cost by the amount of electricity used.
    I meant utility choice.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    8,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15230
    Likes (Received)
    4079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    I meant utility choice.
    Bernie allows a choice up there ?

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    22,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3149
    Likes (Received)
    6145

    Default

    I'm on a co-op, which was a blessing 25 yrs ago, but now I think that I am paying more than I would be if I was on Edison. I think that we are in the $.14 (tax, title, out the door) area now?




    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    One reason I moved where I did is the small power co-op. We buy direct from Bonneville dam and nobody profits. I can run everything in my 6500 sq ft shop balls out and heat my 3400 sq ft 1926 house at 72 degrees with electric heat and my bill for both is under $150/mo


    I just called the riggers, and we are heading towards Portland tomorrow.
    I'm @ $2000/month.
    Try to find me 12K' or more by mid next week when we git there eh?

    ------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  18. Likes Garwood, cranium liked this post
  19. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Seattle suburbs - Puget Sound Energy

    Base charge: $25.81 / mo
    Energy rate: $.099212 / kWh

    Running approx 15 hrs / day with 1x Okuma M560 VMC + Kaeser screw compressor = ~$330 / month

    I don't think we have any commercial power nukes in WA state. I think it is mostly hydro + wind. If we had more than 4 hours of daylight here, I might think about adding some solar...

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    8,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15230
    Likes (Received)
    4079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'm on a co-op, which was a blessing 25 yrs ago, but now I think that I am paying more than I would be if I was on Edison. I think that we are in the $.14 (tax, title, out the door) area now?








    I just called the riggers, and we are heading towards Portland tomorrow.
    I'm @ $2000/month.
    Try to find me 12K' or more by mid next week when we git there eh?

    ------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yabutt, you'll miss all that nice windblown SNOW ya'll get at your place....

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    22,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3149
    Likes (Received)
    6145

    Default

    I can trade out my Wawa, Searchmont, Hornepayne, Hearst, Marathon, Manitouwadge, Dubreuilville, for:

    Stewart/Hyder
    Whistler
    Kamloops
    Fernie
    Golden
    Revelstoke

    Or even some of the Sierra Cement if no time to travel....


    ---------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  22. Likes digger doug liked this post
  23. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    207
    Likes (Received)
    845

    Default

    I'm at about 0.14 per KWH total bill and only the one choice


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •