Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 5 Axis CNC Pay ?

ormachine is offline Aluminum

Default 5 Axis CNC Pay ?

If you don't mind sharing, roughly what do you pay or get paid as a 5 Axis machinist? Yes, I know experience counts, so include how long you have been programming/ setting up 5 axis equipment please.

Thanks, Ron

303_Enfield is offline Aluminum

We've got a 5-axis guy that's a savant: give him something complicated for aerospace or the military and he'll nail it. When I say "genius", I really mean it. He can make things I didn't know existed, using techniques I've never heard of, and he can do it all to within a tenth or two all day, every day.

He's been in the business somewhere between 30-35 years (at the same company) and makes about $26/hr. That may sound stingy, but he can work however much overtime he wants, we've got quarterly profit sharing (it all adds up to about an extra paycheck a year), a Christmas bonus, 50% of all the guys' personal tools are paid for by the company, our insurance is RIDICULOUSLY generous, cheap, and thorough and our 401K match is pretty damn impressive. To boot, the company even pays the $6ish quarterly fee for handling the account. Coffee's free, and the place is as clean as a whistle.

All told, our "fringe" benefits work out to be about $20k/year in a very pleasant and low-stress working environment (this guy's obligated to work 4 10's, there's a little mandated OT but not much). $20k works out to be about a $10/hr hidden wage paid by the company.

AFAIK, here in the Cleveland/Akron area we pay slightly below what a guy at another shop would make with all that experience, but everything that's done for us (a LOT) makes up for it. In comparison, the non-5axis guys that run HBM's and VTL's and stuff make about $21, with all the fringe benefits as well.

D Dubeau is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by 303_Enfield View Post
    We've got a 5-axis guy that's a savant: give him something complicated for aerospace or the military and he'll nail it. When I say "genius", I really mean it. He can make things I didn't know existed, using techniques I've never heard of, and he can do it all to within a tenth or two all day, every day.

He's been in the business somewhere between 30-35 years (at the same company) and makes about $26/hr. That may sound stingy, but he can work however much overtime he wants, we've got quarterly profit sharing (it all adds up to about an extra paycheck a year), a Christmas bonus, 50% of all the guys' personal tools are paid for by the company, our insurance is RIDICULOUSLY generous, cheap, and thorough and our 401K match is pretty damn impressive. To boot, the company even pays the $6ish quarterly fee for handling the account. Coffee's free, and the place is as clean as a whistle.

All told, our "fringe" benefits work out to be about $20k/year in a very pleasant and low-stress working environment (this guy's obligated to work 4 10's, there's a little mandated OT but not much). $20k works out to be about a $10/hr hidden wage paid by the company.

AFAIK, here in the Cleveland/Akron area we pay slightly below what a guy at another shop would make with all that experience, but everything that's done for us (a LOT) makes up for it. In comparison, the non-5axis guys that run HBM's and VTL's and stuff make about $21, with all the fringe benefits as well.
    You had me at free coffee

Zahnrad Kopf is offline Titanium

Hold on... I'm cutting the power to the machines, killing the lights, and locking the door... I'll be there shortly with my resume.
    snydersux425 and proturn like this.

allloutmx is online now Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by 303_Enfield View Post

What sort of machine is he running and can we see an example of his non-ITAR restricted work?

303_Enfield is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by allloutmx View Post
    What sort of machine is he running and can we see an example of his non-ITAR restricted work?
    He runs a SIP 4000 75 5-Axis, as well as a 700 SIP that's been converted to CNC controls. The 4000 has a bewildering array of rotary and angle tables, sine plates, you name it. He's very, VERY proud of his machine. It's always clean, he's got the original SIP work-holding cabinets with wooden tool-holding compartments lined in felt, he keeps the original manuals and sales brochures and option booklets in a locked drawer of his toolbox. There has to be more money sunk into SIP-specific cutting tools and accessories than there is the machine itself.

The 700 is just a secondary "throw some stuff up and let it run" kind of machine for his work cell. It runs at maybe 30% capacity.

I'd love to show you some work, but we're very tight-lipped about what we do and who we work for, and I'd hate for it to come back on me somehow. A lot of his parts involve turbine and fan blades with very weird contours and complex geometry. The 700 work is mainly sub-components for dies. Yea he's gotta hold tolerances that are really low, but he's had the programs proven out and running the same jobs on that machine for at least 20 years. It's just not even hard for him.

kustomizingkid is offline Hot Rolled

This thread right here sums up why I am finishing my damn engineering degree... When a savant with 30 years experience makes $26/hr vs a 0 experience ME makes about the same, well the math ain't hard.

Kinda sucks really... Machining is a great job, but the only way to make any money is to give up your life and live to work.

Edster is offline Titanium

My Grandpa used to say you'll never get rich working for someone else. That applies to 5 axis guys and to engineers too.
    dstryr, rj newbould, kapps and 1 others like this.

toolsteel is offline Stainless

$30 an hour......I buy my own coffee......I dont like all that fancy crap in it......just black.....touch of sugar

wheelieking71 is online now Stainless

how bout a 4-axis guy? I have 4 years of live-tooling / 4-axis experience, (machinist for over 12) and I make more than the 30yr savant. you can keep your bennies, give me the money!

Edster, your grandpa was RIGHT!
    Edster likes this.

ormachine is offline Aluminum

wheelieking, roughly how much more?
    Ron

wheelieking71 is online now Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by ormachine View Post
    wheelieking, roughly how much more?
    Ron
    $1.50 more. I used to get a ton of overtime, and life was great. But the overtime has gone away. Now I am Heeding Edster's G-pa's advice. We'll see where that takes me.
    dstryr likes this.

dstryr is offline Titanium

If you are good at 5 axis another route you can do is become a CAM software Rep and do contract programming.

Doug is online now Diamond

Salary comparisons need to factor in location. The guy making $26 an hour plus benefits worth another $10, equal to $36 total pay in Ohio is not the same as $36 in Seattle. Google for a cost of living comparison calculator.

To equal $36/hour in Cleveland, Ohio you'd need to make $52 in Seattle, Washington. I don't believe $52 in Seattle would be considered underpaid for a 5 axis guy with good working conditions in a job he likes.
    303_Enfield and dstryr like this.

Busted Knuckle is offline Aluminum

That guy can make $40+ an hour... plus vacation, 401k, health bla bla bla in Houston today.

TXMachinist is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckle View Post
    That guy can make $40+ an hour... plus vacation, 401k, health bla bla bla in Houston today.
    I have to agree with this.

HAAS_BOSS is offline Aluminum

I program 5-axis (nothing super fancy yet) and only get $17/hr. I get all the overtime I want. Benefits suck. So I decided to follow Edster's G-pa's advice as well. Working on getting my own shop up and running.
    wheelieking71 likes this.

Oldwrench is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by HAAS_BOSS View Post
    I program 5-axis (nothing super fancy yet) and only get $17/hr. I get all the overtime I want. Benefits suck. So I decided to follow Edster's G-pa's advice as well. Working on getting my own shop up and running.
    Bada BOOM! Go for it! Being in charge of your own destiny is a fringe bennie you can't begin to put a price on.

Boris is offline Titanium

Do you hand out green cards?

Boris

<fed up being the last apprentice trained guy in the factory and being the goto guy when

PS A bit from my resume

CNC Machinist
    Duties: Programming, setting , and operating 3 and 4 axis VMCs (TNC530i and 370 controls)
    Programming, setting , operating various CNC lathes with live tooling.(Fanucs T series controls)
    Maintaince of various CNC machines, including calling out service engineers and ordering parts where needed
    Grinding: surface, cylinderical, and centerless
    Instructing the operators in the fine art of running machines(using a #2 copper/hide mallet )
    Training the company trainee in all aspects of machining and setting.
    Ordering tooling and making fixturing for up-coming jobs.
    and finally
    Lying in a hospital bed with a heart f***ed by being stressed out for 105% of the working day.

PPS ok ok the last one is'nt actually on the resume.... but you get the idea

Edster is offline Titanium

Hey Boris if you get bored you and mr slammy would be a big help over here. I've got some operators that could use some fine tuning.

If you hurry up and sneak over you might not need that green card with all the amnesty talks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast