What's new
What's new

How to keep dumb employees happy

swiss blade

Aluminum
:scratchchin: So, lots of us have this problem. We have employees under us that are good workers (as in staying busy), punctual "arrivers", and good influences on other employees. However, they are not over-intelligent.

You really don't want to lose them because they're not thieves, troublemakers, drug addicts, or "late-every-weekers", and they do a good job with the job they have. They would like to move up the ladder and get promotions, but you know that might not be feasible.

How do you keep them? :confused:

It's not in the best interest of the company and the other employees to give them much more money. They certainly can't be given more responsibility; yet you would really like them to stick around. Do you bite the bullet and overpay? What do you do???

I need some ideas, guys.

Any response is appreciated.

Last edited:
I think Bite the Bullet and overpay, is a very unfair way to put it.

They are making you money (right?), They are there day in/day out doing whatever they can do, and they do good work.

That alone justifies afew dollars more then the going rate for whatever it is they do... Atleast I would think.

Though you might want to sit them down and explain to them exactly Why they won't be getting more responsibility... Without being cruel about it.

How have you landed at the conclusion that they are "dumb"? Sorta how I just concluded your a dick? People only know what they are taught.
I am kinda shy, and not very well spoken in person. I couldn't sell myself if I had to. I bet you would group me in that dumb category as a first impression.
When in reality, I am quite intelligent.

Seriously?

Have you given any of them more responsibility to see if they can handle it? Or just passed judgement that they are "dumb" and your not willing to give them a shot.

My initial response to your post is that you need to communicate with these PEOPLE, and find out what their wants/needs/goals are.
You may find that some are content? IDK?
But, until you know what they want, you are shooting blanks in the dark.
Find strengths and weaknesses. But, above all, communicate.

Your basically asking the masses if you should dangle a carrot, or an apple, in front of a horse. Why don't you ask the horse?

Maybe they aren't the dumb ones?

And don't go thinking I don't know where your coming from. I am in the same situation. In a very big way.
I have an employee who I have found the top of his skill level. Actually pushed his envelope a little bit.
Had to throttle him back some. Just because, he can't do what I can, doesn't make him dumb.

Disclaimer: don't go taking offense to the "dick" comment. I don't really think you are a dick. I was just using it to make a point.

First, you need to convince us that they are "dumb".

Give us some examples of how/why you've drawn that conclusion.

Wheelie got it right.

I've had a few like that over the years. One guy showed up on time for a year, but never actually learned fast enough or moved fast enough to actually make me any money. His pay minus his scrap rate plus the value add of parts he touched was, after a year, negative. He wasn't getting any happier about it, either. I had to cut him loose. I hope he finds something he can excel at.

If it is an isolated guy, then maybe it is the guy. If all the employees are dumb, then you have to wonder. People's intelligence is normally distributed, so if the "dumb" are overrepresented, either you're attracting them that way, you're hiring them that way, you're retaining them that way or you're making them that way.

Everyone tops out somewhere. Some through ability, some through priorities, some through desire. Most make peace with it once it is obvious this is as far as they are going. If the employees feel dumb and they're unhappy with it, then they are unhappy because they feel like they should be doing better. Either that's training, or that's a broken evaluation system.

I'm with Wheelie and others. Disrespect anyone and there's a very good chance they won't be all that happy. As the OP notes, some jobs can be best done by someone who's not a rocket scientist. That good work deserves respect; even if it's sweeping the floors.

To put it another way, maybe a big part of the reason they want to move up is that they feel disrespected in their current positions. I sure would be, if reading this thread. I suspect no one needs an IQ above 90 to know when they're being put down.

While some % of folks might truly be mentally incompetent for the task at hand, the better question might be "Who was dumb enough to hire them in the first place?"

How to keep dumb employees happy

Stop thinking of them as dumb....maybe you're a dumb EMPLOYER that doesn't know how to have or manage employees.

Or to put it another way, maybe the employees are just stuck with a dumb employer.

Your condescending tone tells me I'm on the right track.
You're probably giving them as much respect as they are giving you.

Any response is appreciated.

You're welcome

Unbelievable! The dumbest thing the guy did was hire in at your shop and expect a fair shake. I vote dick..

Brent

A job shop may not be the best environment for somebody who is punctual, reliable and loyal--but can't handle planning and setting up a job when handed a print. Sure, your ideal employee may thrive on overcoming a fresh challenge every day, but not everybody does. Some people, regardless of IQ and/or experience, simply cannot stand dealing with the unfamiliar. But those same people may be fabulously productive doing the same familar set of jobs day after day after day. In other words, factory work...the sort of thing that makes the restless, creative types among us complain of being dehumanized. You don't necessarily have a dumb employee; maybe you have an employee that your business cannot effectively utilize.

I get the impression you wouldn't think much of the person in our plant who is happy running a cell with three machines, making the same parts over and over, changing the same inserts over and over...but to me that employee is more valuable than Joe hotshot who gets bored.

I have a guy who is not dumb, he is just not motivated. Sometimes all you need is a ford pinto, not every job needs a porche. He doesnt want to think he just wants to pull the handle and stack the parts. I have had really motivated people and they left to start their own thing. I want workers not entreprenuers. He shows up and immediatly hits the bathroom for 10 minutes then he drinks a coke. After he checks his phone he starts working he usually pisses away half an hour. I dont want to stand in front of the mill and drill hundreds of holes so I cut him a lot of slack. A few hours a week pissed away is a small price to pay for someone who shows up doesnt steel and pretty much just does what you ask. He has been coming in everyday for over a year now and he has not really said much or asked to do anything else. I had him deburr a whole pallet of alumimum parts and he didnt even complain. I would have lost my mind. So to answer your question pay them some more and keep them happy, the devil you know is better than the devil you dont.

First slow and steady can be very good traits in an employee.
How to keep the guys/gals happy? Learn to read personality types. A key in any manager.
That is what mangers do and why very great machinists will most often make very bad foremen/leaders.

How smart or dumb you are might depend on where you are standing at the moment.
If your employee can't advance to the next level is it the teaching or the employee?

Very rarely, (actually only once) have I seen someone just not able to handle climbing the ladder in machining.
And I do wonder to this day if I had tried harder,... maybe different results.
Many times my front line foreman/supervisors have not taken the time to understand how their individual people think and how you get through this.
Every employee has a personality, all need different pushes in varying areas.
You need to start with nobody is"dumb". Just people with differing views and cares than you.

How you make them happy is about understanding what makes them happy and the big thing is thinking about how they respond, not what would make you happy.
Down inside, nobody thinks the way you do. We are all individuals.
Bob

Give him a job with more responsibility and see how he handles it. Don't try to make a toolmaker out of a machinist over night. Have a conversation that goes something like this: " Joe, you are a good worker, always on time,..... How would like to try something a little more challenging?" If he says yes, let him go for it. You will find out quickly enough if he can handle it. If he says no, then explain although he is a valued worker, without more responsibility, you can only pay so much.

Tom

Give him a job with more responsibility and see how he handles it. Don't try to make a toolmaker out of a machinist over night. Have a conversation that goes something like this: " Joe, you are a good worker, always on time,..... How would like to try something a little more challenging?" If he says yes, let him go for it. You will find out quickly enough if he can handle it. If he says no, then explain although he is a valued worker, without more responsibility, you can only pay so much.

Tom

It really is this ^^^^^ simple!

Thanks for all the comments; everyone has their own opinion about these matters, and there is really no nice way to handle some of these things. I'm not the lead guy in management, so many times I can only offer suggestions. From many of your comments, I should just call my boss a string of names, tell him he's a worthless moron who should have never been promoted past toilet scrubber, and see if that helps. Well...it won't; nor is it true.

There is no disrespect intended nor expressed to this employee. He is a good guy! Worth every penny of the going rate...worth much more than that. Dumb was definitely too harsh a word to describe his position. However, he has been with the company for several years, and done a good job. In the last year, however, my boss has been trying to feed him more responsibility, since the employee has been pushing for it. So far it has cost the company about $30,000.

The comment was made that maybe I think all the employees are dumb. I don't. We have some very bright people working here; take my word for it, this guy is not. I've tried to explain to him why he isn't moving up, but like many of you, his response was the boss is an idiot.

I want to do all I can to make his job easier, make him happy, and keep him content being a lead operator until my superiors are comfortable moving him up. If any of you have an ideas for little perks that would make life easier for him, please post. If not, please don't.

Any, "helpful" response appreciated.

Back