What's new
What's new

I need some advice regarding my Resume

simpleminded

Aluminum
Hi All,
I was hoping to get your advice on creating a resume,
I was with my previous employer for the past 11 years. During that time Year in and year out I was told that raises were a struggle, I accepted the word of management, and endeavored to do my part to increase profits. Long story short, I was handed a stack of work orders for the machine shop and included "MISTAKENLY" was a printout of the salary information for every employee for fiscal 2014. After seeing those numbers I had to leave, I resigned the next day.

This is what I have so far, it covers the last 17 years

Willing to relocate to: Colorado

Desired Job Type: Full-time

Authorized to work in the US for any employer

Add Experience

Work Experience

CNC Swiss set-up / Programmer

June 2004 to April 2015

Responsibilities
I set-up and programmed the Tsugami BW12 CNC Swiss, for both prototype parts and production runs.

I used Solid Works CAD on a daily basis to design new medical instruments

I worked with the manual machines when needed for prototype.

I was directly responsible for tooling up all of the machines, which included keeping up on modern machining techniques, and modern tooling.

Quality Assurance.

Accomplishments
I hired on as a CNC Machinist IN 2004 , this was to set up and program production runs on a Chucker type lathe with live tooling.

During the production runs, I taught myself how to use Auto Cad. Once I was proficient, I began working on new instrument designs, I then took those designs and prototyped them and eventually began production runs of the new instruments.

In 2008 we upgraded to the CNC Swiss Tsugami BW 12 , this machine was a hybrid with 5 40,000 rpm Spindles for Front and Side work. Once the Swiss was making production parts, I taught myself how to use Solid Works.
With the added capability of the Swiss combined with Solid Works for the design of new instruments, highly complex instruments were now being machined on a production level.

I stayed current with modern tooling and machining techniques in order to decrease tooling costs, and to increase production.

Skills Used
CNC programming
CNC-Swiss lathe programming and set-up
Auto Cad
Solid Works
Manual machining

CNC Machinist

February 1998 to June 2004

Responsibilities
I, programmed, set-up and designed and fabricated fixtures for the large 4 Axis Milling centers.

I was responsible for multiple machines and their operators.

From 1998 - 2003 I was the second shift supervisor, more of a got to guy because I still had to keep my line of machines running.

Accomplishments
When I hired on in 1998, the factory was running 24 hours a day in 2 shifts. When I left in 2004 the factory was making more machines per month running one shift of 4 ten hour days!
This was accomplished using the same machine tools. I re-designed all of the fixturing and upgraded the tooling on my line, once I had shown what could be done the other lines began following suit. This led to an overhaul of every aspect of production.

Skills Used
CNC Programming
Large part Fixture design and fabrication
Manual machining using , lathes, mills, and grinders.
Employee training
Employee management

I'm not a resume pro, but I think it may sound a little better if you remove some I's like below. I changed a few other little things.

Responsibilities:
Set-up and programmed the Tsugami BW12 CNC Swiss, for prototype parts and production runs.

Used Solid Works CAD on a daily basis to design new medical instruments

Worked with the manual machines when needed for prototyping.

Was directly responsible for tooling up all of the machines, which included keeping up on modern machining techniques, and tooling.

Organization, grammar and spelling

Responsibilities
From 1998 - 2003 I was the second shift supervisor, more of a got to guy because I still had to keep my

These type of spelling errors are hard to catch, "got" is a word, but not the word you want in this sentence. Read it out loud, or better yet have someone else read it out loud to you.

Accomplishments
I hired on as a CNC Machinist IN 2004 , this was to set up and program production runs on a Chucker type lathe with live tooling.

How is this an accomplishment?
To what does the pronoun "this" refer?

Accomplishments
When I hired on in 1998, the factory was running 24 hours a day in 2 shifts. When I left in 2004 the factory was making more machines per month running one shift of 4 ten hour days!
This was accomplished using the same machine tools. I re-designed all of the fixturing and upgraded the tooling on my line, once I had shown what could be done the other lines began following suit. This led to an overhaul of every aspect of production.

This is the most important part of a resume, what you did to improve your employer's profits.

I hire engineers not machinists. One could argue that neither job requires spelling or grammar, but every job requires communication, and communication requires at least grammar, and spelling if the communication is in writing. If you cannot show that you have a firm grasp of the syntax and semantics of English, how can I believe you have mastery of the syntax and semantics of CNC programming?

Good Luck
CarlBoyd

Absolutely get rid of words like "I", "me", and so on. A resume is a summary, not a story. Use as few words as possible because excess volume can get a resume tossed rather than read. If you don't catch the hiring manager's attention within the first 20-30 seconds you won't make the "possibles" pile.

One thing I have to say straight out is that you made a serious mistake by quitting like that. Essentially you left a long time employer over pay differential between yourself and others. You don't say whether you gave notice or left immediately.

But what's done is done and now you need to minimize the damage. Any employer is going to want an explanation of why you left without another job to go to. IMO the answer should include "I made a mistake" and an explanation of why you did so but without the part about seeing confidential pay info.

I wish you luck in your job search and hope that next time you find a new job before you quit the old. It makes life easier.

What does "Authorized to work in the US for any employer" mean? You're going to get asked in detail about this.

As Scottl said, you will also get questioned why you left and the way you did. Employer's want to know if that is something they may have to deal with.

Each place you submit a resume may look for different things depending on the position offered. Try to research the company you are submitting to and adjust your resume to fit that job. Don't lie ...adjust the resume to highlight the appropriate skills for the position offered to the front that you have. You don't want them to have to dig for that information.

Example:

The job description indicates supervision of other employees. Key words like "shift supervisor" now need to be in the first few lines of 'your' skills or description.

As others have said, employers and HR people will be looking for these 'keywords' when sorting through resumes. Simple planning can make a big difference.

Cut out info fluff like " the factory was running 24 hours a day in 2 shifts." That is repetitive as "shift supervisor" covered that and more. The goal is a one page easy read that says it all.

Last edited:
There's no such thing, or there shouldn't be, as a standard CV unless you intend sending it out willy nilly.

Your education yes but after that then your experience should be tailored to what the company you are applying to needs. A "standard" CV is obvious to those that read them and it won't get the same attention as someone that has made more effort.

As mentioned by several leave out the "I"s. Short, sharp and to the point. Hobbies and private life can be left for the interviews if asked.

One important lesson you seem to have learned is that you shouldn't believe all that management tells you and if you are "promised" a raise after proving yourself (does that really happen?) then get it in writing.

Verbal promises aren't usually worth the paper they are written on.

after the economy took a dump here in the detroit area, it didnt take long to see stacks of resumes piled up at the companies I was applying for. Over time I started to change my resume to look less like what you have to more of a style that bullet pointed my skills and experience.

I made it quick and simple for the HR people to see what I was all about in about 5 seconds. At the top was a short paragraph that basically said how long I was in the trade and that im detail oriented blah blah blah..... then I bullet pointed my skills in the middle, in non paragraph form (remember quick n simple). At the bottom I listed the companies and dates worked. keep the education section simple.

If you have a college degree than obviously you dont need to list that you graduated high school. list other education that is perminant to the job. Try not to be too wordy; if they have a dozen resumes to look at they arent going to want to read a biography on you. That is what the interview is for. To further touch on the points of your resume.

After switching to this style of resume my call backs went way up. Remember too that it doesn't hurt to drop a resume at the same company more than once. They will start to remember your name and usually call ya in for a interview. sometimes a cover letter blowing that particular company helps too if just a resume don't work. I have gotten two jobs to date doing this. good luck in your quest for employment

A famous book for your purpose is "What Color Is Your Parachute." It emphasises creatively looking for a job.
Best wishes --- Allen

Whether it is true or not, the phrase "Willing to relocate to: Colorado" suggests to me "pot smoker". It does nothing for those employers not in Colorado, and those resumes you send to Colorado will be sufficiently inform the employer just by stating "willing to relocate".

LOL kinda makes sense, but I am keeping My residence and we have 4 rentals, so I would like to drive back twice a month to check up on things. I also have family in CO

When I was a technical writer in the aerospace industry in Southern California I would often review resumes for my department to thin the candidates when jobs were offered. I was given strict orders to can any resumes that were more than one page long and/or which contained photographs of the hopeful candidate. The ones that made the cut were then forwarded to the decision makers. That may not be the rule everywhere else, but it's something to think about.

I was told that one page was sufficient and that anything more than that showed that the writer was unable to focus. Also, when you have to go through 100 to 200 resumes in one day, the two pagers will get little attention in any case. I have seen resumese that were ten pages long and in one instance over 20 pages! Photographs can be annoying as well since you may look like someone that the boss dislikes. LOL.

When I was a technical writer in the aerospace industry in Southern California I would often review resumes for my department to thin the candidates when jobs were offered. I was given strict orders to can any resumes that were more than one page long and/or which contained photographs of the hopeful candidate. The ones that made the cut were then forwarded to the decision makers. That may not be the rule everywhere else, but it's something to think about.

I was told that one page was sufficient and that anything more than that showed that the writer was unable to focus. Also, when you have to go through 100 to 200 resumes in one day, the two pagers will get little attention in any case. I have seen resumese that were ten pages long and in one instance over 20 pages! Photographs can be annoying as well since you may look like someone that the boss dislikes. LOL.

Interesting. As my wife is HR manager she probably (in fact certainly) gets more than 1,000 CVs every year. At LEGOLAND they like to have a photo on the CV as often it helps memory if there are several applicants to be interviewed, which is almost always the case.

Visible tattoos or multi-coloured hair for example and you get no further.

I was told that one page was sufficient and that anything more than that showed that the writer was unable to focus.

The "fresh out of school" resumes I've seen with 2+ pages are the best. Detailed descriptions of each and every school project they worked on, and grades they got. Lines a bird cage real good....

The "fresh out of school" resumes I've seen with 2+ pages are the best. Detailed descriptions of each and every school project they worked on, and grades they got. Lines a bird cage real good....

It depends. If there are few candidates and you have the time, then 2 or even more pages would be fine. The rule where I was only allowed one page. If you are using them as "fish wrap" then I would prefer the longer ones, as well. LOL.

As Carl Boyd noted, the technical aspects of spelling and grammar are, in my opinion, to be absolutely correct. This is the first thing that potential employers see and comprehend. In my previous lives, I reviewed a lot of resumes, and hired a fair number of people for technical and machine shop positions. The ones that had errors in spelling and grammar went to the bottom of the pile, and usually from there to the "not you" response pile.

If you develop a standard resume that works for a number of different companies to which you are planning to apply, do not under any circumstances include a cover letter that is hand-written on steno pad paper. Or include the phrase "My momma, she done my resume", as was included in one memorable cover letter on steno pad paper... The cover letter should be on the same paper, use the same typeface, and look like a part of a well-integrated presentation.

While I agree that there are many authoritative sources of guidance that state (or have previously stated) that the resume should be a single page, I am of the belief that a second page can be used effectively if you have unique skills or accomplishments that deserve further explanation. The first page, though, must contain everything about you summarized concisely.

At LEGOLAND they like to have a photo on the CV as often it helps memory if there are several applicants to be interviewed, which is almost always the case.

Visible tattoos or multi-coloured hair for example and you get no further.

Gordon, do you realize what you just put on the Internet? In this country that's the same as BEGGING for an EEOC prosecution.

You got that right. In this part of the world we evaluate candidates for hire based on their qualifications, not their looks.

I certainly agree. Everyone should have a fair shake. For example, how about hiring this fellow for a sales position at your company? I mean, he's human, right? And discrimination is a bad thing, right? And everyone should have a shot at a good job, right?

piercings20tattoo20convention20frankfurt_zpsrx31nmcw.jpg

I was handed a stack of work orders for the machine shop and included "MISTAKENLY" was a printout of the salary information for every employee for fiscal 2014. After seeing those numbers I had to leave, I resigned the next day.

Stop worrying about what other people make. It will cause you to lose a lot of sleep and nothing good comes of it. Worry about yourself, select the best option for you. Lots of people get paid a lot of money to do absolutely nothing useful in the world.

Back