What's new
What's new

ISO9001:2008 cert. feasibility

Black Lab

Plastic
I understand it's big $. Some companies wont bat an eye at you unless your certified. Is this even practical for a small shop(<5 employees)?

It depends on you.
Where you want your company to go in terms of growth.
Who you want to do business with in the future and what your current customers expect from you long term.

Above all, do you believe in it? It is a tool to be used to standardize the way in which you do business. The bigger companies like this because it will yield repeatable results from your organization.

For me, I would have it know other way. I have lived it for 20 years at the employee level so when I started my own company 6 months ago it was easy for me to start at that level. I am ISO 9001/ 2008 compliant working towards certification in the coming months and I am currently a 1 man shop, getting ready to jump to 6.

It has opened so many doors for me my head is still spinning, but this is what I signed up for, to build my own empire from nothing. I can't tell you how many CEO's of large corporations I have gotten to talk to and then be able to quote there work simply because they too believe in it and are excited to see young blood starting out.

My opinion is to do it now while you are small. This will avoid the culture shock scenario that larger companies have when they move to this level of standardization and employee training.

Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks, but it's so much easier to train a new puppy those same tricks.

Good luck

We're currently a 12 man shop and are in the middle of ISO9001:2008. The trick is getting set up with the right people that can help you set up the system to work for your business. We've all heard the horror stories about ISO and the problems it can create. This should not be the case if set up correctly for your business.

We have 5 men in the machine shop and have been certified for 3 years. It's not a big deal and if you have some form of documented QC system in place already you will not see a huge difference, IF you set it up right.

It is a game-changer in the type of work that you can take in. It is the best thing we ever did, no joke.

I have wondered about this myself for a while. I would think a smaller shop would be easier to keep track of everything when you dont have 10 different managers and then managers over them to make sure everything is being done right. If one or two people are overseeing everything that is going on it has to be easier.

Back