Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Manufacture and sell to China

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Without a doubt, low wages, loose environmental regulations, and patent theft are all big problems in China.

But in spite of all that, the USA is still exporting just under $100 BILLION dollars worth of stuff to China last year.
    Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with China
    Although I've shortened your post I must admit - the whole thing was interesting reading and information

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post

The problem comes with currency and the exchange. They do not let the RMB out of the country and as such if you sell something, you cant get the rmb to your currency and in your bank. This has just recently started to ease, but the sales we get from there, we have to keep the money in the country and then use to pay vendors there. In addition there is a need to issue VAT invoices to the customer, collect and pay the taxes, which means you have to be a registered company in china.

For the sales that I do have there, margins are fair, customers are happy with good quality. The made in the USA label does give it some extra value.

They are starting to ease restrictions on the RMB.

Jason
    Before going to China this year we got RMB from our bank here in Denmark without any problem. We did take most of our cash in USD$. The larger expenses were paid for by credit card and there was never a problem. Notes (foreign and domestic) were always scrutinized carefully so I wondered how common forgery was I can't recall ever having had my money scrutinized here in Denmark but I believe it isn't uncommon in the UK.

Jason H is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Before going to China this year we got RMB from our bank here in Denmark without any problem. We did take most of our cash in USD$. The larger expenses were paid for by credit card and there was never a problem. Notes (foreign and domestic) were always scrutinized carefully so I wondered how common forgery was I can't recall ever having had my money scrutinized here in Denmark but I believe it isn't uncommon in the UK.
    That was for personal travel, and they do allow some small amounts for family exchanges, etc. For stuff that is associated with goods moving, it is a pain!

Some people I know that sell seafood into china, have family members there they use to wash the funds through.

Jason

wrustle is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Solar71 View Post
    Ok Wrustle.
    I'm not arguing with you about your debate.
    I'm pissed at your hostility. Make your point without
    All the insane manic ranting.
    It's painful to read. At least put a "I'm insane" warning
    At the start of your crazy rants so I can just skip
    Some of your psycho posts dude.

You may now go back to being insane. Lol

Solar, are you sure you're ok?

In your previous to the post above you claim I am "extremely hostile sometimes dude" and you state you want to "just skip some of my psycho posts."

I asked you to basically put up or shut up, and to this point you've done neither.

Back up your claims or go away.

Gordon is a big boy and he certainly doesn't need you playing white knight.

Let's see some proof of my hostile psycho insane rantings.

By the way.........to further emphasize my concern for your mental stability, here's what you wrote just last Tuesday 4/12/2011.

LOL Funny post Wrustle

I like the way you write your silly words.
    And I especially like there order. Very funny/Entertaining

So what the hell is your problem?? Make up your mind..........

Extremely hostile, insanely, psychotically yours,
    Russ

Paul Farley is offline Aluminum

Default They are all human too!

The Chinese people are some of the most capitalistic and competitive folks in the world, Iím amazed that communism has lasted so long (unless they have modified it, which they have).
    The truth is they have problems and difficulties like everyone else.
    In 2002 I was on a survey vessel mapping the seafloor for a fiber-optic cable between Hong Kong and the southern city in Taiwan. We were required to have officials from both states to observe the mapping process and data collection.
    They would not be on the same vessel together. We had to split the survey in 2 because they wouldnít play in the same sand box!
    Yes they have a lot of issues to work out.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farley View Post
    The Chinese people are some of the most capitalistic and competitive folks in the world, Iím amazed that communism has lasted so long (unless they have modified it, which they have).
    The truth is they have problems and difficulties like everyone else.
    In 2002 I was on a survey vessel mapping the seafloor for a fiber-optic cable between Hong Kong and the southern city in Taiwan. We were required to have officials from both states to observe the mapping process and data collection.
    They would not be on the same vessel together. We had to split the survey in 2 because they wouldnít play in the same sand box!
    Yes they have a lot of issues to work out.
    PaulF
    I'm guessing you were never in Northern Ireland a few years ago

Not suitable for this forum but I could make a list of countries with much worse, though similar, problems

Solar71 is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by wrustle View Post
    Solar, are you sure you're ok?

In your previous to the post above you claim I am "extremely hostile sometimes dude" and you state you want to "just skip some of my psycho posts."

I asked you to basically put up or shut up, and to this point you've done neither.

Back up your claims or go away.

Gordon is a big boy and he certainly doesn't need you playing white knight.

Let's see some proof of my hostile psycho insane rantings.

By the way.........to further emphasize my concern for your mental stability, here's what you wrote just last Tuesday 4/12/2011.

So what the hell is your problem?? Make up your mind..........

Extremely hostile, insanely, psychotically yours,
    Russ
    All this means is. Sometimes your funny and entertaining. Sometimes your LAME and Hostile!
    Cant you be both ? Is that such a strange concept ?

PS : I much prefer funny/entertaining wrustle to LAME/Hostile wrustle.

All this means is. Sometimes your funny and entertaining. Sometimes your LAME and Hostile!
    Cant you be both ? Is that such a strange concept ?

PS : I much prefer funny/entertaining wrustle to LAME/Hostile wrustle.
    Can't you and wrustle exchange emails or phone numbers? It's like sitting in a good restuarant with a big steak and the guy at the next table decides everyone has to hear what he has to say (loudly) on his cell phone

Not sure how this will be received but I was asked a few days ago what American thing I'd buy if there was a European equivelent. Couldn't think of a thing until I rolled out my grill from hibernation. It's a Weber and is definately the most sold name in Denmark for grills. Wouldn't dream of having any other make.

garandguy is offline Plastic

It is about monetary policy please see: THE CHINA TRADE AND JOBS

China holds the line on imports by manipulating money so it can export more than it imports. So if you want to sell to China competitively you build a factory in China. If you build a factory in China you take on a Chinese partner in the enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by garandguy View Post
    It is about monetary policy please see: THE CHINA TRADE AND JOBS

China holds the line on imports by manipulating money so it can export more than it imports. So if you want to sell to China competitively you build a factory in China. If you build a factory in China you take on a Chinese partner in the enterprise.
    Well at least it's nice to know that the USA has never done and would never dream of doing anything like that

wrustle is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Can't you and wrustle exchange emails or phone numbers? It's like sitting in a good restuarant with a big steak and the guy at the next table decides everyone has to hear what he has to say (loudly) on his cell phone
    Gordon......for real?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

You blab incessantly on this site...........in every thread.

May just be "you're" the guy on the other end of the phone!

So, while I got you on the line.........how's the weather over there?

Geez......hope your white knight doesn't have a mental breakdown over this........

Later,
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by wrustle View Post
    Gordon......for real?
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
    You blab incessantly on this site...........in every thread.
    May just be "you're" the guy on the other end of the phone!
    So, while I got you on the line.........how's the weather over there?
    Geez......hope your white knight doesn't have a mental breakdown over this........

Later,
    Russ
    Sorry, this fish ain't biting

We can't have me blabin' more than necessary

The German economy is one of those doing best in Europe at present. Just read today that China has overtaken the US as Germany's largest export market.

UsedMachine is offline Aluminum

Default Enough, please

What has China got to do with Shop Management and Owner Issues? If you absolutely must expound your theories of macroeconomics based on a couple weeks' Potemkin Village experience, won't you please find a more appropriate forum? This one is for the discussion of things of immediate importance to shop owners, such as human resources issues and getting paid.

M.B. Naegle is offline Hot Rolled

We've had some customers come to use wanting equipment for a shop in china. When someone wanted a couple of our mainstay "made in america! same design since 1882! best in the world!" machines, we really thought about it but ultimatly desided to send them over. I personally don't like the general ethics of managment that sends work to an enviroment (or country) where quality isn't the biggest priority, but if they use our fancy-pants machine, good for em! It's a step in the right direction.

We were also a little concerned that they might cloan the machines but figured 1. the machine's been around long enough, they could have done it already 2. the market isn't big enough for them to care 3. the machine is of a nature that I seiously doubt it would function if made with poor tolerances and material.

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    . I personally don't like the general ethics of managment that sends work to an enviroment (or country) where quality isn't the biggest priority, but if they use our fancy-pants machine, good for em! It's a step in the right direction.
    By the same token then why does the USA import and sell so much from these countries?

No country or company deliberately produces and sells bad quality. If the customer (importer or end user) isn't willing to pay the price that good quality costs then very few will turn down an order. They'll just make what they feel that the customer was paying for. Don't tell me that couldn't happen in ANY country in the world.

It stands to reason that a car costing $25,000 probably isn't going to be as good as one at $100,000. Both will get you from A to B and some are willing to pay more for that and others not.

I have my own saying: "If you're lucky you get what you pay for. You rarely get more".
    Another one (not my own) is, "The disappointment over bad quality last much longer than the pleasure derived from a cheap offer".

breakit is offline Aluminum

I didn't read many of the replies because it seems this is sinking into "manufacturing in america and europe" arguments..

Just wanted to mention a Chinese friend of mine revisited China recently and said much of this huge wealth is because of property value booms. all his generation (~40 yrs old) is richer there than he in the USA after 15yrs simply because of the property.

On the other hand, young Chinese seem to have a Gen-X syndrome going on. All the property values are so high now they can never hope to buy, and all they can do is work for these fortunate older crowd. lots of unemployment or low-rank jobs also for the recent grads.

As a USA gen-X-er myself, I can suppose that this type of thing can really cause things to be less clear in the future. how does a generation ever get its self out from under that shadow?

not a real fan here of what the baby boomers left & are still actively leaving us...

Quote Originally Posted by UsedMachine View Post
    What has China got to do with Shop Management and Owner Issues? If you absolutely must expound your theories of macroeconomics based on a couple weeks' Potemkin Village experience, won't you please find a more appropriate forum? This one is for the discussion of things of immediate importance to shop owners, such as human resources issues and getting paid.
    Just as yours is probably more appropriate in the Venting thread

OK, enough with the tit for tat retoric. I should write this as a PM but just in case others share your view I'll write it here.

In the Manufacturing in USA and Europe domain (which I agree with you is more appropriate) the moderator there deleted over 500 of my posts because we disagreed in 4 or 5. As those that read what I do write will know then it wasn't my using abusive or foul language. He furthermore stated that anything else I posted in his domain would immediately be deleted too. What annoyed me most was that after deleting my post he kept his own posts letting everyone know what he thought of me and what I had written. If he had deleted his own insults I'd have been able to disregard it easier. So much for freedom of speech. I received many emails from members who disagreed with the action of the moderator (half non Americans and half American). It might be interesting to note if the non American contributions have gone up or down in the last 3 months. I have no idea.

Anyway, being effectively banned from the appropriate domain rather limits my choice assuming of course that freedom of speech (OK writing ) still applies.

Your solution is simple if you find what I write uninteresting, either activate the neccesary "box" so you don't see any of my posts or just don't read what I write. It certainly doesn't have to become a problem that could possibly raise your blood pressure

I'll just add that although RJ and I don't always agree I find him both fair and open minded and certainly never as abusive or arrogant as another moderator who shall remain anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by breakit View Post
    I didn't read many of the replies because it seems this is sinking into "manufacturing in america and europe" arguments..

Just wanted to mention a Chinese friend of mine revisited China recently and said much of this huge wealth is because of property value booms. all his generation (~40 yrs old) is richer there than he in the USA after 15yrs simply because of the property.
    You're right with the property boom and the rising prices. It was the main topic of conversation among the Chinese I was with.

As to your first paragraph then I've tried giving a reason for this in my previous post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast