What's new
What's new

Saying "Good Morning"

coyotekid

Cast Iron
I work in a small shop with only about 15 employees total. Up until lately, I think we've always been a fairly close-knit bunch that gets along well together. We've been known to all go to lunch together often and have beers after work.

Lately, it has apparently become OK to be really rude to coworkers, especially first thing in the mornings.

I have a few coworkers that won't say a damn thing when I greet them in the morning. They'll look right at me, and they definitely hear me, but they don't say a word--not even a "go to hell" from them.

Am I getting worked up over nothing? I don't have thin skin, and I'm not particularly a morning person myself. But I do think it's common courtesy to be polite to folks.

I noticed this kind of attitude is the norm lately. I belived that if you say honesty and not robotic you will get a reply or a smile.
Also it starts the day with respect and that what happened yesterday was then and now we start with a new day.

Just my opinion here, but i always feel a "Vibe" from people who are deliberately being rude. I would prefer to get along with everyone(Especially in a working envoirnment), but it's just not realistic. There will always be people that are not happy no matter what. In this particular case, i wouldn't say a word after they ignorned me. And i also wouldn't say "Good morning" or much else to them unless it was required for a task at work. Shrug it off, and consider it one less "personality" to put up with.
It's one of 2 things. Either they don't hear you, which you stated you don't think is the case. Or they don't respect you enough to be polite. If i respect someone, i do my best to be polite even when i'm in a bad mood(Aka morning time).

I've had the same thing happen to me in the past. It always seemed to be the same people though. It used to bother me too. I don't think it is asking too much to reply to a "Good Morning" and I felt that it immediately soured my attitude that day.

I had one person in particular that would do this every time I said good morning to her. Then one day I said "Good Morning, Karen" so she would get the hint I was addressing her in a personal way, not just as a generic greeting. That broke the ice for me and she never gave me the glare again.

I also get this from my teenage daughter......:( Maturity (lack of) in her case i guess.

The best boss I ever had greeted me each morning with a "Good morning". At the end of each day it was "Thank you and have a good evening."

He always got a positive acknowledgment from me because if I failed to, my day would be long and miserable. ;)

I really miss Herr Peter Oberhauser. RIP

Getting up in the morning isn't a good start to the day for many people :(
I just say it and don't really care what their reaction is, then again I not longer have to say it unless I'm looking in the mirror. Although yesterday while at the ATM at the bank I heard one of the employees greet someone with " ah you here to do some banking are ya? " in an almost too stupid manner like he was talking to a 5yr old and I thought, "NO SHIT, we got a smart one!"
ahh things people say, and english being my 2nd language sometimes I wonder even more about what I hear.

I would keep saying "good morning" if I were you, if they want to be rude and miserable let them be. Don't let them bring you down to their level, you remember the old saying "misery loves company" I would make it a point to go out of my way and kill them with kindness.

I say "mornin" or "good morning" to everyone I see in the morning. I can't think of a time someone has ignored me.

I say, "see ya tomorrow" or something like that when I leave at the end of the day.

I save time by saying "groowning"

read Dale Carnegie's 'how to make friends and influence people", much old fashioned advice on this stuff. basic message is that you are responsible for making people feeling comfortable with you. Also, since so few people bother, then you have a distinct advantage by doing so.

I always say something short when I see someone for the first time that day.

At the companies that had 40+ employees, I walked through giving a greeting.

"Hey Mark", "What's up, Steve", "How's it going, Jeff", "Say, Bob", "Hey there, David". They always nodded their head or said "hey" or something.

Not everybody is a morning person. I really don't like the morning time, but I'm not going to be hateful to someone. If it's that bad of a day, they need to stay home, or something.

The guy in the McDonald's commercial that says "Don't speak to me until I have my coffee" gets on my nerves. I feel that way, but don't act like he does. He needs his a$$ kicked.

JAckal:cheers:

Dont dwell on it just say "mornin"to each&dont ruminate on it,as you get older it will bother you less and less.After all its just a job.When I was young it wd bother me terribly(my mum always said it was their problem not mine).Getting older is not all bad!Just think"miserable F,g git"& smile! Ted

I say "mornin" or "good morning" to everyone I see in the morning. I can't think of a time someone has ignored me.

I say, "see ya tomorrow" or something like that when I leave at the end of the day.

I say the same, I work alone, but every morning meet with the neighbors for 10-15 min. Everybody say "Good morning".

The guy in the McDonald's commercial that says "Don't speak to me until I have my coffee" gets on my nerves. I feel that way, but don't act like he does. He needs his a$$ kicked.
I thought I was the only one! That guy pisses me off to no end.

When I say goodmorning to someone and I get that hatefull glare, I usually say something like, "Wow, rough nite?". That either breaks the ice or does nothing, at which point I write that person off completely.

Haha... I thought it was a Subway commercial, but I could be wrong. The point is, that commercial really pisses me off too.

That's kinda what sparked this thread... I thought maybe I was being out of line because it irritates me when people, especially coworkers, are rude.

I'm going to bring the subject up at the next staff meeting and see what kind of response I get. I have to wonder how my coworkers treat customers and vendors that call before noon. Are they as rude to outsiders as they are towards me? One report I recently got from a former vendor claims that this is indeed the case.

I actually hate 'good morning'. It's a stupid greeting. I don't need anyone to inform me when it's morning - I know it already.

One of the reasons I hate working around the same people, every day, is the constant greeting. You pass the same guy 15 times in thecourse of one day - you are supposed to acknowledge him each time - that's a real PITA after about 5 years. I think it should be like this:

First time you see someone: Hello, Hi, How's it hangin', whatver.

Second time: I acknowledge your existence. It's no surprise that I see you since we both come here every day.

Third time: I see you, you F**ker.

Fourth time: complete lack of recognition.

If we cut out all the greetings I'll bet the average company would save 5,000 hours per year.

I used to work with one guy, if you said good morning, he would say what's so good about this morning? Miserable old grumpy guy.

Nowadays, it's case by case. If I pass someone in the hall, I say good morning. If I need to ask one of the guys to make a part, I say good morning first. I do not make the rounds in the offices to say good morning to everyone, too many people in the company to do that. I only have five employees in the machine shop, so I usually walk around, make sure that everyone made it in to work, and I usually say good morning to those employees.

By the way, the mcdonalds commercial annoyed me as well and I could not figure out why... I thought that I was the only one.

I think there's a huge corporate culture thing there.

Working at a large plant (thousands of people) I know
hundreds of them by name - not that I'm really good at it,
but after a long time you cross paths with many of them
and develop associations.

So you can't personally say good morning to all of them.

So:

1) the closer you are to the point of entry, the more likely it is to happen.
Meet in the elevator - yes. Meet in the hall 1/4 mile away - probably not.

2) you do this about three or four times, the first people you see, the
more likely it is. By the time you are in the cafeteria for coffee, less so.

3) the more folks on site that day, the less likely it is. On a holiday or
after hours, you will say good morning or hi to a complete stranger, simply
because they are a warm body roaming the hall.

4) emotional state of the people. One of the single biggest gripes where
I work, is folks you know will blow right by you in the hall, not even
recognizing you exist. Reason this happens: their mind is somewhere
else. They're busy worrying about a deadline, a fight with the boss,
a problem that needs solving.

4) emotional state of the people. One of the single biggest gripes where
I work, is folks you know will blow right by you in the hall, not even
recognizing you exist. Reason this happens: their mind is somewhere
else. They're busy worrying about a deadline, a fight with the boss,
a problem that needs solving.

Yeah. I've been known to not even be aware of someone's existence if I'm deep in problem solving mode. I think it's an occupational hazard of software developers. One of my bosses would either wait until I became aware of the world or go away & send me an email.

Once you've mastered sleeping with your eyes open and still being 2X as productive as the next guy, you've got it made.

PDW

Personally, I've never been big on the proper pleasantries. I'll probably throw out a "hey", but that's about it. I probably said Good Morning about two times in my life. I look at relationships as a whole... I don't really base it on individual things like that. When I was in construction, most of us weren't exactly in a great mood. But a couple hours into it, you tell a couple jokes, throw shit at people... By lunch it's all good. I don't hold it against somebody if they're in a bad mood. Lord knows I've had more than my share. If somebody is just a flat out a-hole every day, then that's a different story. Plus, as far as the women go... You never know what the hell is going through their heads, because a lot of them think they're god's gift to men, and if you say two words to them, you must be some perv that wants to get them in the sack. So they purposely ignore you.

Back