Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Waste OIl - Shop heat?

Stuart Caruk is offline Stainless

Default Waste OIl - Shop heat?

I seem to be collecting a few barrels of waste oil, mostly Vactra # 2 way oil. I'm looking for an efficient way to get rid of it. Has anybody run waste way oil in an oil burning furnace? I drizzled some on some logs in the wood stove and it doesn't seem to want to burn terribly well.

Anybody figure out a good way to get rid of old gungy coolant while we're at it?

thermite is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Caruk View Post
    I seem to be collecting a few barrels of waste oil, mostly Vactra # 2 way oil. I'm looking for an efficient way to get rid of it. Has anybody run waste way oil in an oil burning furnace? I drizzled some on some logs in the wood stove and it doesn't seem to want to burn terribly well.

Anybody figure out a good way to get rid of old gungy coolant while we're at it?
    While it would 'probably' include far fewer nasty contaminants than used automotive motor oil, it is still a 'mineral' (read petroleum) based oil, not vegetable, and will have had various chemicals added to modify tack, flow, temperature sensitivity, corrosives and bacterial resistance, and much more.

Accordingly, best recommendation I have is to let the professional 're-refiner' industry manage all that.

In our area there is a no-charge dump-barrel for such recycling, otherwise ask at oil-changing shops. One would need far more serious quantities of it than a machine shop is likely to generate to be paid anything for it.

I can't see using it directly or even diluted for fuel, nor even as a proper 'starter' for a wood fire.

Bill
    tommy1010 likes this.

What would be your opinions for filtering the top 3/4 of the 55 gal drum of used vactra #2 way oil.

You could pump it through two sets of 5 micron diesel oil filters

Rob F. is offline Stainless

It used to be that any fluid drained from an old tractor was ran through the tank as fuel to get rid of it, just make sure not to run it straight. Do you have an old tractor?
    Rob

Bobw is offline Diamond

Sounds like somebody needs a foundry furnace.
    Nick Mueller likes this.

Greg White is offline Titanium

5 gallons at a time Auto Zone? any chain of auto stores,
    Maybe thats only small time,eh?
    Gw

Disclaimer: the following is a hairbrained idea for burning waste oil in a woodstove

Could one find an old injection pump and injectors from a diesel engine, worn and drooling even. Power the pump with an electric motor, and aim the injectors over the wood fire? The atomized oil should burn well, if enough air were present. The "throttle" control could vary the intensity of the heat, as could speed of the pump, and control the pump with thermostat controls...

The above probably won't work- just something I have pondered from time to time as it gets cold, and I take another 5 gallon bucket of used oil to tractor supply

chip_maker is offline Stainless

I give my used vactra to the local auto repair shops around here. They have waste oil burners and gladly take it off of my hands.

gorrilla is offline Stainless

I expect you would have to get Vactra very hot to ignite well. Dribbling it on a wood fire probably ain't enough.Other alternative is to atomize it . Get enough oxygen into the atomized fuel, and it'll burn very hot. Can't hazard a guess as to what the additives are going to chemically transform into when oxidized(burnt), but you're really gonna need a lot of ventilation. Also, if you're in a municipal area, be expecting a visit from the local enviro agency. I'll bet they fuss. They're always such party poopers. Hell, the greens don't really wanting us burning hydrocarbons in our cars, much less in a homemade furnace, even if it is a form of re-cycling.

Philabuster is online now Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by ponderingjunkman View Post
    Disclaimer: the following is a hairbrained idea for burning waste oil in a woodstove

Could one find an old injection pump and injectors from a diesel engine, worn and drooling even. Power the pump with an electric motor, and aim the injectors over the wood fire? The atomized oil should burn well, if enough air were present. The "throttle" control could vary the intensity of the heat, as could speed of the pump, and control the pump with thermostat controls...

The above probably won't work- just something I have pondered from time to time as it gets cold, and I take another 5 gallon bucket of used oil to tractor supply
    If the oil is filtered to less than 5 micron and the oil then pre-heated before going through the injection pump, it would likely work pretty good in a stove because I know this method works great in an old diesel vehicle. If it were me, I would just run it through a diesel engine / generator and use the waste heat for shop heat and use the free electricity.

Diesels can run on 100% oil but the injection pumps are not designed to pump viscous oils very well. Heating the oil to 200 lowers the viscosity a bunch just like diluting the oil in the diesel fuel to lower viscosity.

kpotter is online now Diamond

I have at least a thousand gallons of used motor oil in a tank out side the shop what do you do with the stuff. I called several places and they wanted to charge an ass load of money to take it away. I live in the desert so no need for any serious heat.

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    I have at least a thousand gallons of used motor oil in a tank out side the shop what do you do with the stuff. I called several places and they wanted to charge an ass load of money to take it away. I live in the desert so no need for any serious heat.
    Rankine-cycle power CAN be plumbed to be less finicky than Diesel or 'heavy' oil IC engines, burn more cleanly than the heating you do not need anyway.

If that represents ten or fewer years reasonably steady - and continuing - accumulation, it might be tempting to implement a steam power generation rig, cover any power outages, run off-grid part of the time even if outages did not occur. Tucson should not need a lot of effort to prevent feed water freezing.

Bill

These guys sell all kinds of filters and supplies for making biodiesel etc. DudaDiesel - Biodiesel, Chemical & Solar Supplies, Alternative Energy Store I would do as philabuster said and filter it then preheat on its way to a diesel engine. Another way is a conversion kit for a standard oil burner from a oil furnace (Beckett, Wayne...) to use waste oil. Welcome to Wasteoil Lot of info here.
    PS synthetic oil does not work.
    Rob

I like the steam turbine power generation thermite suggested. If you could get an old steamcleaner you would be well on the way, run the waste oil to heat the steamcleaner, feed to a turbine, condense and recirculate. Is this right Bill? Where to source a small turbine for cheap? Large turbocharger maybe?
    --I need to keep telling myself NO NEW PROJECTS--
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I like the steam turbine power generation thermite suggested. If you could get an old steamcleaner you would be well on the way, run the waste oil to heat the steamcleaner, feed to a turbine, condense and recirculate. Is this right Bill? Where to source a small turbine for cheap? Large turbocharger maybe?
    --I need to keep telling myself NO NEW PROJECTS--
    Rob
    Lazy Iyam. I'd use a recip. Do keep in mind you need to run seriously hot combustion temps, akin to HAZMAT disposal incinerators, plus some sort of stack-gas & particulates treatment in order to not create a problem with the additives and trace heavy-metals in the oil.

That wants a high-tech ceramics plus costly-alloy water-tube boiler, not fire-tube. Poisoning your family or that of your neighbours is just not on.

Bill

Gary E is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by solidworkscadman View Post
    What would be your opinions for filtering the top 3/4 of the 55 gal drum of used vactra #2 way oil.

You could pump it through two sets of 5 micron diesel oil filters
    and then what would you do with it?... use it?..for what?....there's much better ways to use your time.

Gary E is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    what does the county use to spray on your dusty roads??
    maybe they'l use the same ol same ol as in the days of old... ??? and take the junk you have

peterve is offline Titanium

I am not a expert but if you want to burn oil please make sure your temperature in the combustion chambre is high enough (about 1250 Dgr C I think)
    That means your combustion chambre has to be made from a refractory material
    With that temperature it does not matter how the oil enters the chambre
    It will burn anyhow With my foundry furnace I had I just let it drip in the airstream
    That also means if you need a atomiser or evaporator your temperature is to low

Peter from holland

Ox
    Ox is online now Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by ponderingjunkman View Post

Have seen it done with great results in an auto shop. I think he just injects it in the air line and points it at a hot plate in the middle of the stove.

Not 100% sure how he is mixing the air and oil, but likely just a simple venturi.
    Took him a while to get it all tuned, but has used it for years.

I think it is otherwise a fuel oil furnace?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Dave K is offline Diamond

Not sure if this is the same all over, but around here, the quick change oil places will take your waste oil for free. Although, that's motor oil, not sure if they would do the same for way oil. But, it's free to ask. Worse thing they could say is no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast