What's new
What's new

You guys ever have a retail client just wig out on you?

Trboatworks

Diamond
So this guy shows up in the shop for some work and we agree on a 30 hour job.
I ask him when he needs it done and he says- "no rush, lets just say by Christmas"

He leaves and I say- BACK BURNER and get on to all the rush jobs.

I have the thing on the bench last week about half done and some guy shows up at the shop.
I don't recognize him- some grumpy old guy...

So he starts in with "I can't believe this isn't done" and lays down all these things he insists on as the job comes to completion;
Deliver, install on site, modify some gear on site to accommodate widget, provide outside manufactured parts with made part...

I have to straighten him out with the written contract and that all this other stuff will be a change order.
He finally agrees and goes away.

I get a call and he is all pissed off again- I am incompetent as I can't find the correct accessories, not treating him well, he will just pick up part as he doesn't want me near this boat, etc.

So I am back to where I started- make a part and he will pick it up, by Christmas... LOL...

It's weird- sort of like I was dealing with two different people- nice guy when he orders, wack job next time he shows up.
Can senile dementia take someone out in the period of a couple of months, his cat die...?

Odd PITA and he will no doubt trash me every chance he gets..

I used to build custom parts and mechanical assemblies for ultra high end luxury yachts and their owners. They would do this on an almost daily basis. A little unnerving at first, but one gets used to it pretty quickly. Seems like the more abrasive I got ( which actually comes naturally ) the more even keeled they got. Great money, huge hassles. Can't tell whether I miss it or not. Good luck with yours.

One my 'rules' is that I am not anyone's boat boy and try to keep the abuse to a minimum- mostly works but this one got through.

He is more just general grumpy than treating me like some gum stuck to his shoe that got all over the teak decks...

And yeah- its a boat part...

I know that guy, his name is Al Coholic, comes in many physical forms but the personalities the same.

WOW- you may have nailed it- never occurred to me.

That fits- he was down right abusive with the poor gal at the desk at the marina.

Demanded to use a pen- threw it at her when he returned it.
She tells him he can't be throwing pens at her and he asks:

"You got a problem with me".

I wasn't there.

Thanks guys you straightened me out- he brings this shit here again and I will tell him to fuck off and take a loss on the deal.

Fuck off is my st approach to the recreational boat guys, they always want fast and cheep (because there real poor) yet high polished stainless. There just best avoided as a customer group IMHO Your dealings with ones pretty std to in my experience.

If you have plenty of better customers if he shows up again and you don't have much in it... send it with him, recommend he find someone more competent.....

just charge 2x times the labor rate for rush jobs. say you want it done faster it costs 2 times more
he might think twice about whether he really wants it done immediately

A long time ago, a friend of mine used to race cars at a long-gone nearby raceway. He was always happy when he found that he could buy tools right from a tool supplier's truck that always came to the races. He even got "Racer's Net" pricing! One day, while at his regular job, he needed a unique wrench, and called the tool supplier's warehouse city desk. The had the tool, and told him the price. He told them that he always got "racer's net" at the track - and the city desk told him that "racer's net" was from 15-20% higher than the city desk price to cover the cost of the truck sitting at the track all day.

Maybe you need to start charging "racer's net" to some customers (maybe call it something like "marine special")...

I went through something like this. I sold a guy a Baldor buffer. He seemed like a nice guy, paid me cash. He called me later that night and was completely crazy. He had taken the buffer apart. He wanted to know why it did'nt have a mag starter.and on and on. I worked 25 years in a mental hospital. My best guess is he was probably bi-polar. Bob

Some cry if their ice cream is cold then complain if it melts. When completed (if he pays) ask him to please come back again. When he says &*^&); say thank You I'd rather not work with You anyway. You'll be at peace and he'll have something to think about. In the meantime all Your buddies will have established him as a viable member of the local "black list". At the end of the day You'll win!

I don't deal with "off the street" people, solves a lot of issues.
At the same time I guess a bit of entertainment would be nice.

I would love to have someone come in my shop and yell at me... or throw a pen lmao.

My problem is if they throw a pen at me there getting a 2lb ball peen hammer back :-) Would be damn near auto reflex and both at home shop - work theres damn near always a couple in reach. Unless of cause im on the forklift, then all bets are off, good chance hes cars leaving the parking lot, what’s debatable is were the tines are going, underneath, through the doors or just through the windows.

Nothing gets bad payers reaching for there wallets faster than when they can't reach the door handles on there motor any-more :-)

That customer could have been me last week. LOL I have been sick, worst cold I have had in a very long time. It messed with my head something bad. I had to apologize to several friends, luckily no customers. Almost afraid I messed up a potential relationship over it. Not entirely sure why, but several doctor and nurse friends think maybe tumor. Oh well, cant afford an MRI, so I will just keep plugging away.

Josh

I would love to have someone come in my shop and yell at me... or throw a pen lmao.

Had a fellow like that once, years back. He apparently didn't like the point that I didn't get upset and yell back at him. I found out that even being polite doesn't work all the time. He left and went to the local bar and built up some macho. As I was leaving the shop, came up and tried to blind side punch me with a round house...somehow my left arm got in the way of his round house and as I knelt down to apologize, my right fist straight forward punched through his balls. Go figure?

It must of really hurt because he puked... a lot.

Back