What's new
What's new

WTB: Atlas Clausing lathe parts

Kirk R.

Plastic
I have an Atlas Clausing 12x36 lathe, model 111 that I need some parts for.

Q526 72-T gear
Q530 75-T gear
DL455 back gib
DL457 crosslide gib

I have checked on ebay, but have not found anything for my particular lathe yet. I found a gear on ebay that might work. It is from a Clausing 5914 lathe. This is the 75 tooth wide gear that goes on the quick change gearbox input shaft, I got specs on the gear from the seller, it has the correct tooth count, center hole is the right size, but it is 1.25" wide. From what I can tell, based on how far the sliding gear moves on my lathe, it really should be 1.5" to 1.625" wide. It might work, but I am a bit hesitent to use it because there would only be about %75 tooth engagement with the sliding gear. What are your thoughts?

I joined a Yahoo group on Atlas and Clausing lathes and was referred to this site as a possible source.

DSCF3730.jpg

My Clausing 6300 uses a standard gear profile (20DP 14.5PA IIRC). You can easily buy them from places like boston gear. Stack two and pin if you need wider? I replaced 2-3 gears in mine when I rebuilt it.

Straight gibs are pretty easy to make. I had to make a new one for my compound.

Of course getting parts from Craig is probably way easier:)

Contact Clausing Service Center in Goshen Indiana. They still supply parts for all the old Atlas/Craftsman and Clausing Lathes/mills

I have two of these lathes(both 12x36) one with the Timkin roller bearings and an older model (30`s vintage) with white metal bearings. The gears on my older machine are the thinner type and they will fit,but you can track down new parts from Clausing at hugh expense or look for used parts ( my preference always ). Your machine has the roller bearings and should be run dripping in oil. Many parts are interchangeable on the 10 and 12 inch models. Craigslist has always helped me with parts machines.
Good Luck.
Tim O

Tim, I have located and purchased two good used gears, the other gear I needed, I ended up having a new one made as none of the gears are available from Clausing. Do the headstock bearings have to run in oil? I put new bearings in the headstock and injected them with a high quality bearing grease.

Tim, I have located and purchased two good used gears, the other gear I needed, I ended up having a new one made as none of the gears are available from Clausing. Do the headstock bearings have to run in oil? I put new bearings in the headstock and injected them with a high quality bearing grease.

Clean the grease out and run a proper spindle oil. I think ISO 30 is correct but someone may correct me.

Is that a plain 30w oil? or is it a special oil for headstock bearings?

Straight 30w non-detergent will work, but Mobil medium or maybe heavy spindle oil is better. You can get it from Enco. You might check in the South Bend forum because most of those lathes are plain bearing and I know the question has been asked before. Mine has Timken bearings so I am not sure if the requirement is the same.

Back