What's new
What's new

Dorian SDN30BXA ,

SND

Diamond
Last week I ordered a Dorian BXA First time Buyer Set from KBC. They are on sale right now. Came with a few tools. Seems like a good deal. Didn't get the Free Machinery's handbook CD yet though.

The SDN30 seems to be a new model, not one I've seen before anyway, its orange, round yellow tag on it.

Now I need more holders for it.
Do the chinese import holders interchange with the Dorian holders? It usualy says they interchange with Aloris and Yuasa. Do they all have the same dovetail dimensions? I don't have any other brand of similar holders to compare measurements with, which is why I am asking.

How's the quality of the chinese holders? are they worth it at about half the price of the original holders ?

thanx!

Good googley moogley.

Spend top dollar for a nice Dorian set and then pollute it with China tool blocks? (apparently it's all interchangeable, BTW)

Here's how I did it.

Every couple months, buy 1 more holder. The $30 or $40 cost gets evened out like a cable TV bill and you won't feel the pain.

-Matt

The answer ia in the quality control and the material. With the Chinese stuff it is a total crap shoot. Never know who made the stuff and what it is made from. The clamping ability of your tool post rests with the ability of the wedge to tighten up and hold the tool holder rigid. If the size of the dovetail varies then the wedge will clamp in different positions from holder to holder. Position of the clamp handle will vary and the nested position of the tool will vary. Not a problem until you want to male the tool repeat even when you remove and reinstall the holder. Just went through all this. Have a Romi CNC engine lathe that i set up with an Aloris tool block...couldn't get the parts to repeat after a tool change. Went to the MultiFix system and it all got much better. You got a nice tool block, don't blow its effective operation with mystery tool holders.
Cheere Ross

It's a shame indeed to think about putting import holders on a Dorian.

This set came with a small carbide insert parting blade. The insert is only .085" wide. Seems nice, it will probably make a lot less chatter then with a .125", the lathe isn't all that rigid. But the tool post will surely help a lot.

Do Dorian tools have their own insert shape, or would common insert brands like Sandvik and Valenite carry the same shapes and sizes ?

The .085 - .095 parting tools (GT2) are really nice in a small lathe, much better than the .125 (GT3).

I have a great deal for you - swap even my fully matched ChiWan wedge set with ten holders for your Dorian set with only a few holders!!!

Even though my set is "all high-precision China" some of the holders look good, others look like they were made a few thousand years ago. Hopefully by Vikings or Samurais, not by goat-herders looking for something to pass the long winter nights.

Be consistent. Either buy quality or buy cheap. You won't be happy with the imports.

Dorian holders it is.

No swap thank you

I don't think this Dorian starter set was much more expensive then the chinese import set, considering the Dorian comes with a few tools.

KBC tools.
www.kbctools.com

I ordered right from the website. First time I tried that type of thing but it went well.

I just checked the US prices. The AXA is 495$, and the BXA is 576$.
The Kurt D675 are at 367$. Less then I paid for mine.

I found it to be a good deal for the BXA. It comes with a few tools. Free shipping. It was supposed to also come with a CD version of the Machinerys handbook. I didn't get it, I dont know if they're shipping it seperate or what, but it wasn't with the holder. But I got the already book anyway.
It was also a much better deal then what I could find anywhere else. Another supplier wanted about 500$cnd more and it didn't come with any tools. So when I saw they were on sale again, I jumped on it the same day.

SND:
I had the CD of the Machinerys Handbook and i gave it away! Too hard to use! It is a real pain scrolling down through pages to find info. Much faster and easier to use the book HMHO!
Cheers Ross

Back