singer053.jpg

singer041.jpg

singer043.jpg

singer064.jpg

singer054.jpg

This was my shopping result, everything I asked for was in stock:
singer066.jpg

Oh.... My.... G-O-D!!!!!

My mouth is drooling.... I'd love to just walk around that place!!!!

Alan

PS, Ask them if they have the parts to upgrade a Dialog 2 to a Dialog 4.... Or do I want to find out?

I will go back in 10 days to drop off a table for plane-ing, I`ll be in Munich anyway (95%).
The cool thing was I had free reign, could touch anything and go anywhere. I could spend a few days in the warehouse. The stock is amazing. Everytime I ask for a minute little thing he said "yeeees, I should have that..." and pulled it from some drawer. I got completely knocked out of my socks and my FP3NC feels to crummy now ...... its not new. Work done on the machines was just georgious and perfect.
They do about 100 machines a year, but only 5% of those NC. Maybe after time passes, I'll show you the things he gave me for free.
singer032.jpg

singer033.jpg

Last picture showing Mr. Singer.

Just riveted and speechless..... but it does look a little crowded like that might be a fire hazard for the workmen so maybe they should just ship a contain over to Don's building so they have a little more room........

now I know what it will be like when I die.I I I
I wonder if they are hiring?

Hi Gentlemen,
I am not a Deckelite (yet) but WOW!!! , I think this is a very significant event in this forum. Now I know there is a place on this planet where a gathering of these green(and grey) machines in superb condition... waiting to be taken away. Since I am a Monarchist, I can totally relate to the response of forum members by closing my eyes and imagine the pictures shown are rows of gleaming 10EE... yees, I think I just drooled :D :D :D . Martin, you are a lucky guy.Thanks for the pictures
Khanh

Now, gentlemen, I will gladly arrange a little Deckelite Germany Tour as an official PM outing.
I propose a schedule along these lines:
I pick y'all up at Munich airport and we proceed to Franz Singer where we get an introduction to rebuilding a Deckel. We will see actual scraping, will get a table planed, see heads and gearboxes rebuilt, and get an introduction into the finer points of Deckeldom.
Then we will retire to the storage area for further show and tell. Stretchers will be at the ready and an ATM will be set up in the building. Mr. Thomas may look at the approx. 200 Heidenhain scales in stock, Mr. Hantke can try to piece together a Dialog 4 from separate parts, Mr. Sean S might finger a gang milling head.
Afterwards we drive 20 miles to FPS for the introduction into the more NC oriented machines, where we also get an introduction into the finer points of parameter programming and Deckel electronics.
After this we go back to Geredsried to take a tour of the DMG factory to see whats happening there nowadays. Visitors are requested to contain their "boooo-ing" until we are out again. To close the loop we go to Andechs to drown ourselves in beer, because we all feel so misirable now.
At night we may then proceed to the grave of Mr. Friedrich Deckel to pay our unlimited repect.

I can arrange this quite easily and voluteer for the translation service.
singer051.jpg

Martin,
I don't know if you were kidding or not, but I think that would be a fantastic trip! I for one am in as long as it is in a warm month!
Thane

YES!! Hear hear! I'm in.

I'm not that far away, so it should be possible. (and the Singer company might know me (maybe), because I'll have bought a number of replacement parts for my FP2)

(now I have almost a year to make it plain to my wife, that it's a pilgrimage. And she may have to call me Hadj after the pilgrimage - Haaa!)

And maybe another day a the Deutsches Museum and....

Cheers
Erik

"I will go back in 10 days to drop off a table for plane-ing, I`ll be in Munich anyway (95%)."

Hi Martin.
Could you please ask him what sort of paint he uses on his machines.
by that I mean the make and the product... and the make and product of the filler/surfacer as well.

And is the stuff he uses capable of sustaining a LIGHT hammer blow with out coming off really bad...by that I mean .......just light superficial damage and not some huge chunk removed.

ALL THE BEST.........MARK

I too would be interested in the tour/get together.

I was looking in the photos for an FP1 with power Y axis and notice in file name singer043 an FP1 that must have power Y, due to the 3 axis "activ" readout LED display panel. However the engagement lever is not where I expected it. Every power Y FP1 I've seen pictures of had the lever hanging below the Y handwheel, whereas on that one it's up higher... to the right of the stop button. I wonder if that was the original position on the first power Y FP1's or an improvement on the last of the FP1's ?

I think that the 3 axis "activ" readout LED display panel was the most prevalent part. The 2 axis "activ" readout LED display panel is only relevant for the “early” variant of the late model FP1, it must be the rarest. Therefore, I surmise that with a rebuild the 3 axis part is the one that is available.

The lever pictured, must be the “Y” axis clamp.

I own a late model FP1, without the “Y” power feed, although it is in excellent condition, it is unfortunately missing the LED display.

Best regards

Doug Neaves

Doug, yes, that is the Y clamp indeed. Would you believe I was extrememely tired and "fuzzy" when I typed that post ? I didn't thing so.. ;)

deckel55.jpg

With all those very detailed photos, I would imagine that everyone was ‘extremely tired and "fuzzy"’, so yes I believe it. So much to look at, such a big wish list to compile, so much detail to take in without wanting to missing a thing.

We have learned how they hold a Deckel table on the planer.

Somewhere in that lot will be a “missing link”.

Best regards

Doug Neaves

It would be fascinating to know what their shop was like when Deckel was still in business making manual machines versus what it's like now. For instance, I wonder if they have so many Deckels "piling up" because they aren't selling too well due to their prices, and used ones are being "discarded" from the CNC shops more and more frequently, that find their way to Singer.

Or, was it the case even in the 1980's that plenty of 1960's and older Deckels were accumulating in their shop, and all that inventory they have in 2005 indicates nothing other than a brisk business which keeps plenty of machines coming in and going out ?

He quite clearly said to me that he always wants something on EBay as promotion, so people know he is there.
Also he has some good deals on EBay, because he sometimes gets large numbers of certain things in. Like currently the DIN 2080 tooling. I bought a whole set of short horizontal arbors at 15€ each. When they are gone, they are gone.
Really expensive with him is mostly stuff that he had to put work into. You can on the other hand get a good used and checked lever FP1 from him starting at 3k if available. I have yet to figure out the price thing.

Back