What's new
What's new

Dry Ice Blasting...

john111

Plastic
Hi everyone. I am an engineering student. I read something called dry ice blasting while browsing net. Well I don’t know why, but I am curious to know about it. I know about traditional labor intensive methods like scrapers, wire brushes, sand blasting and pressure washing. I know dry ice is basically solid form of CO2, but I have no clue about this dry ice blasting.
Can somebody throw some light on this or at least suggest some site where I can find some info on this.

Sam.

Well its basically a from of media blasting which uses dry ice as the abrasive. Very useful in an enclosed environment where removal of the residual media would be difficult. The dry ice sublimates almost instantly so it is very clean. Think of an attic in a house that has had a mold problem, blast the rafters with dry ice to remove the mold, very little to clean up. It is a fairly light abrasive and also very useful if you want to avoid heat build up in the part being blasted like very thin sheet metal.

J

I work in the auto industry. An application of this process is used to clean up welding fixtures. Supplier MIG welds stampings into components and over time the weld spatter builds up on the fixture causing potential issues with loading parts and operation of clamps. The crushed dry ice is basically blasted onto the weld fixtures to clean up the weld spatter. The beauty is that no further cleanup is required.

It's also used extensively in the semiconductor industry - when one has a vacuum
chamber that is coated inside with 'overspray' from PVD processes, sometimes the
stuff is toxic and if the insides are blasted with regular media, the entire resulting
mess has to be disposed of as toxic waste.

With CO2 all that's left is the small batch of debris that used to be on the walls.

Jim

Blasting With Dry Ice

I watched the process one time in the steel mill where I worked.Blasting was done with portable equipement,brought in by contractors. They were removing years of accumulated grease off of mill housings befor a rebuild. the grease was blasted off everthing,down to the paint level and laborers just shoveled the frozen grease pellets away.I'm talking serious grease here ,sometimes a foot thick, There was no problems afterword with abrasives in the hydraulic systems; Their major concern

At high enough pressures CO2 becomes a very good solvent- it's used for some 'green' process dry cleaning and such. I'm not sure if the impact pressure is high enough to contribute to this aspect, but as an engineering student, it would make for a nice thought problem.

I worked at one time for a semiconductor fab tool parts cleaning business. We used one of the units made by Alpheus. Looks like they have been taken over by Cold Jet: http://www.coldjet.com/en/information/what-is-dry-ice-blasting.php

Good for removing photoresist-type residues from delicate substrates like anodized surfaces or plastic components. Also some adhesives removal from ceramics and quartz.

I remember some of the parts would develop a healthy static charge that could sometimes be a problem.

It's not a very aggressive media, at about 90psi as I recall.

Need to have Oxygen sensors nearby and good engineering control of the airflow in the area for operator safety.

It's used in the printing industry regularly for cleaning the ink buildup out of the print units on the presses. Of course you need a healthy compressor feeding a 1.5" line to the machine, welders gloves, earplugs, goggles, face shield, long sleeve tyvek suit, etc. It makes a mess, but the units come out clean. The ink freezes and flakes off really nicely.

Jamie

Back