What's new
What's new

OT - Tandem lift goes badly wrong

The idea looks insane from the get go...cranes on a floating barge that can list at any moment...would require absolute perfection of coordination between the operators to not be a disaster.

Thats really ugly and hopefully there will be no fatalities. It looks like someone did not plan on the barge rolling as much as it did as the load moved away from the center.

Thats really ugly and hopefully there will be no fatalities. It looks like someone did not plan on the barge rolling as much as it did as the load moved away from the center.
Yeah like somebody forgot that water is way less stable than solid ground...and in such a dense population spot to boot.

Yeah they did so much wrong it is hard to even list it all. Truck cranes on barges= bad idea. Not secured to the barge. Should have used spud barges or better, a derrick barge deigned for this. The first one down was listing before he he got the load up . No effort to keep the barges level. I can't believe that very many of this crew was used to working from the water. Plus there was plenty of time to stop the madness before disaster struck.

The whole operation in addition to being safer would have been cheaper to put a crane on either side of the canal and float the bridge in between them . One less barge and boat.

I don't think the barge and the lack of lashing of the cranes to the barge was the primary cause. It looks very much as if either one of the hydraulic rams or the derrick on the rear crane was caught by the load and caused the derrick to collapse.

I'd been watching this clip repeatedly on the BBC news web site before coming to PM to catch up with things...

The quality of the video on gcaptain is better and hell they had 3 barges and 3 boats. I cannot imagine why you wouldn't work from the ground on both sides.
Both barges were badly out of level. I'm glad I work with the caliber of personnel that I do. Shit can always go wrong but you can make it a lot harder than this for it to happen.

You can hear the clank when the load hit the far cranes boom.

Than the far cranes boom collapsed.

Than the far crane went over.

The near crane like to have saved it but he chose to just cable down.

Had he swung and boomed down his counterweight would have caught him.

Barge was likely sunk or spuded cause it was stable compared to the tug along side.

Long skinny barges and swinging over the side is not such a good idea. I have set many bridge beams doing a two crane erection off barges and have never came close to this outcome. I would sure like to see another view from a different angle.

I don't think the barge and the lack of lashing of the cranes to the barge was the primary cause.
Not primary cause but might have saved the situation from disaster mode. Re "caught by the load"...could be... but back to my contention this operation required near perfection of coordination between operators to work...which would be in the low probability range of actually happening and therefore should not have been attempted without many precautions that were not taken.

That's how I imagine some of our members' picks going.

Will my engine hoist lift this L&S Model X....
In another life I once turned over a Brown and Sharpe no. 2 vertical mill when the shop crane front wheel suddenly broke. The crane was on my homemade steel channel outside bringing the mill inside the basement so the mill fell over in soft dirt and had no damage as I recall. The shock when the wheel broke also bent the near fully extended hydraulic ram like a bananna. Being of limited means back then I straightened that ram on a press and keep using it for years later with no issues. Upgraded the wheels to something better. No memory of how I got the mill upright again...outside in the dirt...would have been especially tricky with nothing but a shop crane...and maybe a come-a-long or two.

Any two crane erection takes a lot of planning and coordination. Putting the cranes on a barge increases the risk a hundred fold. I have set beams weighing over two hundred thousand off barges that had to pass the beams from the beam truck to the second crane and then float them a quarter mile using small tugs. A lot of planning, good people, communication is needed. Not a job for the faint at heart.

Not primary cause but might have saved the situation from disaster mode. Re "caught by the load"...could be... but back to my contention this operation required near perfection of coordination between operators to work...which would be in the low probability range of actually happening and therefore should not have been attempted without many precautions that were not taken.

That is why you usually (around these parts anyway) see a bridge builder erect a temporary trestle to work off of or a dedicated barge crane designed to do such work. It was doomed from the get go IMHO

The weird thing is.....it's not like the Dutch have no clue regarding bridges, ships and heavy marine operations. No, it is what they are renowned for.

I am sure that regulatory authorities will investigate this well. Can any of our European members tell us where to find such an investigation report or link to it when it is ready , please. Even if you don't do critical lifts everyday there is certainly some there for us to learn from.

Yes I second that. Please post any new information as it comes. I will be showing this at our Monday morning safety meeting as it is good to keep things in perspective. We do so many critical lifts that some crew can get complacent and I like to keep it real.

I don't think the barge and the lack of lashing of the cranes to the barge was the primary cause. It looks very much as if either one of the hydraulic rams or the derrick on the rear crane was caught by the load and caused the derrick to collapse.

On the HD youtube clip it is much clearer.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nTLIuk6Hk

The lift either got caught by wind or they slewed it too fast, it moved towards the crane, the barge listed making things worse, and over it went...

It was the barge listing that was the eventual all over red rover cause..

Looking at the trees in the background, it is blowing a gale and the wind caught the piece being lifted...

I am not even sure where they were lifting it to...

Back