What's new
What's new

OT: Build quality example demonstration in one picture.

that has nothing to do with "quality"- its a crumple zone, and it was designed that way on purpose. I have had similar plastic parts on several cars, going back to maybe mid 90s models- mostly hondas, which are quite high quality. And when something like that happened, you could usually pop em right back out. Most of the time it didnt even damage the paint. I have built funny homemade push bars, with ball ends, for popping out stuff like this, in extreme cases I used a heat gun.
So, no, that tells you nothing about China- it tells you about a conscious design decision made by the engineers of most major auto companies.
I once had a drunk guy run a red light, and I hit him at about 40 in my 86 Camaro, which had a similar plastic front end. NO injuries to me or my wife, no damage to the engine or frame- just crumpled plastic that was replaced for about a grand. This is not new tech.

Ries,

I don't want the explanation. I just want to enjoy the photo.

And really, should it really crumble that easily? And will it just pop out?

Da hack. Don't believe shit you read on the web just because it was set in proper letters and not told in a bar over way too much beer.

If anything, it is a lesson to not cut bicycle spokes with sidecutters.....

even the most shitty ones are really strong stuff....and good to have around in the shop...but don't damage shears and cutters with them.

this is a novelty picture. we have no idea whether that car hit that bicycle. It could have hit a parking meter, or a phone pole, and then somebody posed the bike.
Its an internet meme.
again, I have had a half dozen cars with plastic bumpers like that, and, two teenage boys who learned to drive in them. They hit poles, got dents like that, and they popped right out.

If it crumpled like that going up against a bicycle then it is indeed of poor design/construction

Imagine it was you crossing the street instead of the bicycle. Would you rather be hit by that bumper, or a chromed steel one? That's part of the reason for the bumper construction: reduce pedestrian injury.

Here's a tip for some of you: You are looking at a deformed bumper COVER. It is for aesthetic and aero purposes only and has absolutely nothing to do with occupant safety. News flash!! New cars are different than old cars.

Back