Thinking out-loud.... Digital speed display

• Thread starter Guncraft
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 1,881
G

Guncraft

Hello All!

What are the options to hook up a device that would be able to display the RPM of the spindle on a step-pulley machine? Anything out there that would work off of the VFD?

Thank you!

Andy

Hello All!

What are the options to hook up a device that would be able to display the RPM of the spindle on a step-pulley machine? Anything out there that would work off of the VFD?

Thank you!

Andy
put a piece of reflective tape somewhere on spindle and have a non contacting tachometer pointing at it. it could be permanently setup
on a printing press this is often done to measure rpm on different rollers

Just spoke with the VFD manufacturer and this unit does not have an analog output.

Andy

If you hook to VFD or motor shaft you'll get RPM of the motor but not of the spindle because the VFD has no way of knowing which of the different gearing of the step-belt pulleys and backgear are engaged.

There are a lot of super cheap tach options on eBay for <$30 that run off of an inductive pickup. You could easily fit a bit of a tang or magnet to the top of your spindle shaft and hang the hall effect sensor near it. That way you would get actual spindle RPM regardless of what step the belt was on or whether or not backgear was engaged.

For about the same money as the various RPM displays you can get one that also does SFM, which is often more useful. Not sure what type of machine you propose to use it on. The various incarnations of the "Taculator" is what I'm thinking of.

Lots of inexpensive options. The $1 option is to just label your potentiometer -- especially if it's a decent VFD with some sort of vector control so speeds don't change much under load.

Your VFD potentiometer probably has (or could have) tick marks from something like 20% to 150% (or whatever you think your motor and bearings can handle) of nominal speed. By measuring the speeds with a hand held tach one time, you can make up a little laminated chart for each VFD and pulley setting.

One advantage of a chart - even if you decice to add a tach -- is that you will actually know the options of where to set both the VFD and the pulleys to get the speed you want. I Just the pot setting won't be accurate to the rpm (speed will vary a bit depending upon load, line voltage, etc.), but plenty close enough to set initial speeds and feeds. From there, you just listen to the cut and watch the chips to turn the speed up or down a bit.

My vertical bandsaw is set up with tick marks at 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 fpm. A small gear head lathe has the pot calibrated for half, nominal, and 2x speed. A 20" step pulley drill press has a chart on the side with a speed range for each pulley setting. With a VFD, I usually can stick to a single pulley setting, but know instantly what to change for very large or very small drills. Only a mid size lathe and a wood lathe seemed to want/need an actual tach. Nice if you can put the display right with the VFD control.

I installed a tachulator on my South Bend 10L. I used a piece of black electrical tape on the spindle's rear extension and ran the cable to a control box that I made for it:

Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

Works really well and tells the actual spindle speed. Can also be used to calculate SFM. I love it. As we all know exact RPM's are not super critical but it sure is nice to use so that you can learn what works and what doesn't.

And here is a video I did showing the operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4uM978NeQ

I installed a tachulator on my South Bend 10L. I used a piece of black electrical tape on the spindle's rear extension and ran the cable to a control box that I made for it:

Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

Works really well and tells the actual spindle speed. Can also be used to calculate SFM. I love it. As we all know exact RPM's are not super critical but it sure is nice to use so that you can learn what works and what doesn't.

And here is a video I did showing the operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4uM978NeQ

Nice lathe.
I think the problem with tracking is because the belt join isn't perfectly aligned.
I suggest replacing the joined belt with a jointless belt. This will required removal of the spindle to get the belt in place.

Back