What's new
What's new

Pay range

hsma1020

Plastic
Can somebody give me a pay range for a CNC mill programmer using Gibbs. Can program 3,4, and 5 axis and design workholding fixtures. Not responsible for any scheduling, mgt., or meeting production requirements. 5 man shop with 12 late model CNC Mills and lathes.

Anywhere from $15 to $40 an hour.

Yep. :willy_nilly: And trust me, this is not a smart ass remark! There was recently (well, maybe a couple months) a thread about a 5 axis programming job that duties included walking on water and the starting pay was like $11-13? ...something like that.

Never made space shuttle parts but typical tolerances never exceed +/-.001 on diameters, flatness, concentricity etc.

often companies are fishing and seeing if anybody replies to job posting.
i often see they cannot find anybody willing to be a cnc operator on the night shift for less than $20/hr. literally they have job postings out for 6 months to years, interview many people, some even are hired but then they fail drug test so they end up not working even one day
think about it. you want somebody operating a million dollar cnc who works cheap, not too smart and makes mistakes and in general you suspect may have a drug problem too ??
eventually they raise pay levels til they find trust worthy people to run the expensive machines (and not crash them)

think about it. you want somebody operating a million dollar cnc who works cheap, not too smart and makes mistakes and in general you suspect may have a drug problem too ??

And some wonder why China sells more to the USA than vice versa? Are drug problems really so widespread in the US?

And some wonder why China sells more to the USA than vice versa? Are drug problems really so widespread in the US?
hair drug test picks up smoking marijuana too going back months
and i suspect it might also pickup people who are just near people who smoke marijuana too. when they talk about legalization of smoking marijuana thats does not mean companies will hire people who smoke it
i suspect it is keeping 50% of people out of jobs that 50 years ago they might have started working in. like how many teenagers have not smoked marijuana or not been near people who smoke it??
right now technology allows testing going back months. maybe in the future they will have tests that go back decades

Unfortunately the problem with our trade is that it can be outsourced and kids just aren't interested in it anymore. It's made to look all fancy and technical in the trade school with flashy computer software, but when it comes down to its it's all about mechanical aptitude, creativity and a love for what you do. Money is important, but you'll never get rich being a machinist. Maybe being the boss of machinists, but not the guy making the parts. I consider myself to be a highly skilled cnc machinist and I make 65-80k depending on how good of a year it is for ot. That is reasonable but let's face it: no one makes what they're worth.

BillShop: Shop photos and some work... - YouTube

Are you looking to hire a programmer and what to pay them, or are you one yourself and curious about pay range?

If you want a more accurate pay range, you should provide more details of your skillset..

This is pretty common from what I see on resumes that I get in response to job postings. People don't give any detail, they just have a bunch of crap (buzz words I call it) on it.

Ex:

Company ABC, 1/12 to 4/12 (lol)
Ran Mori Seiki, Haas, Mazak.
4-axis parts.
G-code.
Fixtures.
Run new programs.
Measure parts.
Aerospace, medical, oil&gas

etc, etc.

That doesn't tell me shit, now does it? Anybody can just list a bunch of crap here, but it doesn't mean they know anything now does it? What do you know? Give some examples.

"Made a macro to reduce setup time by _%" or something.

You say 5-axis. Cool. Is that 3+2 positioning, or are you programming inconel blisks? Details matter.

You really should do more research before posting jabs LOL

I'm not doubting the numbers but I'm pretty certain you'll find that those with drug problems don't work. Again, I suggest you do more research before you get an orgasm every time you think you find something negative about Denmark ;)

You realize that you keep giving me opportunities and reasons for posting links like this?

Denmark vs United States Crime Stats Compared

This damn drug topic always fries my onions. Keeping strictly with the cannabis issue, it comes down to our social norms. I have worked with folks that smoked weed on weekends and maybe some weeknights, but never on the job. Alcohol is bad, bottom line kills your liver, affects you socially (never seen a guy with "pot" muscles), never heard of someone getting smoked up and beating the tar out their wife or kid; maybe killing an apple pie but who cares. It is just that alcohol is so ingrained in our culture and it makes so many people so much money things ain't gonna change.
Not sure where I was going with this but IMHO given the choice between two guys equally qualified, one alcoholic and one who smokes pot on occasion. I would hire the pot head any day of the week, barring no usage during or prior to work.
It is a touchy issue but unfortunately as business owners it is one we must deal with more and more. I just don't see a good way to handle it except on an individual basis which wastes time/money and you can't really treat one person one way and another another, especially as your workforce grows in number.

Not sure where I was going with this but IMHO given the choice between two guys equally qualified, one alcoholic and one who smokes pot on occasion. I would hire the pot head any day of the week, barring no usage during or prior to work.

while I agree with most of what you wrote, it's not an equal comparison between an 'alcoholic' and one who 'smokes pot on occasion'.......by that metric, I'd be 10x more likely to hire a guy who 'has a few beers on a sat night' over a pothead

You really should do more research before posting jabs LOL

I'm not doubting the numbers but I'm pretty certain you'll find that those with drug problems don't work. Again, I suggest you do more research before you get an orgasm every time you think you find something negative about Denmark ;)

You realize that you keep giving me opportunities and reasons for posting links like this?

Denmark vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Comparing crime statistics in a tiny country like Denmark (population 5,686,750 in 2016) to the United States (population 324,118,787 in 2016) is rather inane. It tells me that you actually think Denmark is important, as well.

You need to lay off the Ganja.

Population by Country (216) - Worldometers

Comparing crime statistics in a tiny country like Denmark (population 5,686,750 in 2016) to the United States (population 324,118,787 in 2016) is rather inane. It tells me that you actually think Denmark is important, as well.

You need to lay off the Ganja.

Population by Country (216) - Worldometers

Is that the best you can come up with that the USA is bigger than Denmark? LMAO. The numbers in "my" link are percentages - NOT populations. Pick a state and compare if you feel that gives a better picture. Then again you could just stop insulting Denmark. Makes you seem very jealous!

Spain is a major economy and manufacturer.
Yes, much smaller than germany (.ge) or the USA, but still pretty significant.

Pot et. al. are common.
You can smoke in some bars I know, and its not criminal to have a joint or two on You.

Small quantities of even hard drugs are not a criminal offense aka You wont get arrested for having a bit on You at a club/party/etc for Your own use. Using is not criminal, selling is. (Yes double std).

I don´t smoke anything, I really dislike the smell.

Wine / beer is included on the avg. menu of every bar/restaurant/common meal in the country.
Yes, everyone can have half a bottle to one bottle of wine, cheaply, legally, if they want, with their mandated 2 hr mid day lunch break.
An 8€ avg lunch includes 1/2 half bottle of wine and dessert (0.375 l).

Neither the pot nor the wine are a problem.
Spain is the least violent latin country, with the least drug-related serious crimes, I know of.

A few years ago, all my workers, including millwrights (6), salesmen (8), were engineers from the university.
All were very good, spoke 2-3+ languages, had been to Japan, USA et al for training, ..

We always had *some* wine or beer with lunch, and mostly a little.
Everyone knew they are responsible for any police tests, on the road, personally.
Everyone drove a company vehicle at company cost.

I have zero idea how many smoked or not.
Never occurred to me to ask.
Never was an issue.
I think, looking back, they all would have told me the truth, and maybe some did .. ?? No idea in truth.
Dont care.

I am talking about the cream of the crop, we hired the top people at top $$, 8k€+ avg monthly burdened cost, == 10.000$/m.
In Spain, mostly, the drug tests et al are not an issue.

From my (+generally other principals I know) pov, as long as You are clean, sober, and do Your work well, we have 0% interest in interfering in Your personal life.

Back