What's new
What's new

today I went horizontal (milling) - VIDEO

thisoldtony

Plastic
Bought a Schaublin 13 not too long ago.. missing the overarm support;
Decided to do something about it.

I'll be honest, a three inch 18T cutter going for the work -- kinda scary.
My money would've been on it pulling the work right out of the vise.

Is climb cutting done in horizontal? Just curious, as I shudder to even think
about it. But.. conventional: the cut came out with a mirror finish.

5/8" cutter, 18T, about 0.4" DOC, 60 rpm and about 0.5 IPM.
Wanted to go deeper but I realized I'd run out of headroom in my setup.

By the numbers I still have some HP to spare -- experimentation to commence.
It's my understanding that a horizontal cutter should move material pretty
darn fast -- as it is, my roughing end mills put a 0.4" DOC @ 0.5 IPM to bed.

At any rate, fun project and I have a lot more form-cutting arbor mills than
I do end mills. Looking forward to putting them to work.

Horizontal Milling - Building the Overarm Support - YouTube

"I'll be honest, a three inch 18T cutter going for the work -- kinda scary.
My money would've been on it pulling the work right out of the vise."

That was the late great robert bastow's rule for setting feed rate on a horizontal: run it up
until either the machine jumps around on the floor, or the part rips out of the vise.

Then back off a notch.

Folks who run b'ports don't understand the sorts of feed rates that even small horizontals
enjoy.

Nice work and cute machine.
I sometimes wish I had a little horizontal mill, there's some odd jobs that they're still hard to beat at.

Nice work, interesting video shots. I always wondered about the formula for phosphor bronze. I might add though John Welden could have made that in less time than the video.
Have fun,
Ron

Of course there's climb milling on a horizontal.
The cutter climbs right up out of the work...that's where the phrase came from.
nah, just gotta take up the backlash, either with a good screw and adjustment of the nut, or what I've done on my junk BP clone, a couple garage door springs pulling the table into the cut so the screw is preloaded and the cutter can't make the table jump

Cute little horizontal, and very nice work.

ETA: there were many commercial adaptations for climb milling as well, others more in the know will probably be in shortly to educate on the matter.

I have only used a nice cinci number 2 horizontal, IMHO your babying that cut even on that machine. Sawing slots in can go pretty hard and fast, theres a lot of inherent rigidity in a horizontal set-up even on a smaller machine. Too low a feed If your not careful you end up rubbing the cutters blunt, especially conventional milling but spindle speed you need to watch, its really easy to go to fast with out calculating it out on larger cutters till you get your head around things.

I do a fair bit of simple screwdriver slot cutting in parts, a saw cuts the slots in a fraction of the time of a milling cutter of the more modern vertical option. Its a nice capability to have :-)

Horizontals will remove a lot of metal fast,especialy in deep slots .They are real good on multiple parts.Their disadvantage is long setup time. On parts that have many different features ,you could use 3 or 4 different end mills and or drills ect in a Bridgeport ,by the time you could change horizontal setups.I have run some very nice horizontals in my life,but there is a reason that most horizontals mostly sit unused.Yours looks like a beautitful machine. Edwin Dirnbeck

Nice project.

Climb milling is either a tighten the screws or hydraulically tighten the screws.
Two European machines at work both use hydraulics. I figure one is a Polish the other is German/ Romanian.

The wrong set up or something is missed , then its either cutters or the part(s) are FUBAR.

I'll be honest, a three inch 18T cutter going for the work -- kinda scary.
My money would've been on it pulling the work right out of the vise.

Have I known THAT feeling before!
Comes with the territory and horizontal milling machines I guess. About the first time ran mine (Van Norman No 2 Medium) I got ahold of a similar 4" x 3/8" wide side cutting slotting cutter (teeth on the sides as well as radially) like yours. It started out fine, then bound up in the cut and shattered in an instant. Broke the florescent light bulbs up above the machine, bits of the cutter stuck in the walls of the shop......yikes.
That was about 1981 or so....
I tend to like slitting saws with no teeth on the sides better.
And I don't think you'll wanna try climb cutting.

Great machine and really enjoyed the video!
Pure work, no BS, no chit chat about viewer mail, opening gifts sent in from
viewers, just machine work.
Put me in a state of machine tool Zen.

:cheers:

Really good amature level machining. Nice job.

Do you ever sometimes wonder why they named you John and not Dick?

Yeah, nice work. One or two things some of us would do differently but that's engineering. I might have made it out of cast iron and feathered it with a scraper. You can't knock the end result though.

Regards Tyrone.

Very nice work- might inspire me to find a couple of arbors and the arm for my Fp1- I would love to have the capacity to do slotting with it.

Thanks all, glad you liked it. As mentioned just getting my feet wet.. the video
really was 'live' in a manner of speaking.. some things I realized I'd do differently
as soon as I started making that cut.

Back