What's new
What's new

And the award for the ugliest Alzmetall ever goes to...

Ahh another HGR gem.
Amazing that the table looks great... you'd expect a Swiss cheese situation here...but not so... Oh wait, I forgot this is not a round column type... so only one hole is possible in the table... still, no T slot breaks, hammer marks or anything.

Alzmetall AB3HST Drill Press 26'' 1296475 | eBay

Who knew they used Alzmetall's in The Hood... even prior to the X marks it was ugllied up even beyond the wildest dreams of Northrup employees...

Ross, I would suggest you buy this for your greatest "Before and After" glory bask, ever...but it's lacking the desirable electromagnetic feed..dangit..

I saw that drill on the Bidspotter site and thought what a shame......

Kevin

This equipment was removed from the workshop of Jackson Pollock...

Actually... the person - or several persons - who applied those 'X' markings.. may have been doing a valuable service to those who came after.

Warning-off.

"Ugly" is probably a lot more than skin-deep on this one.

IIRC, it was a local auctioneer and the opening bid was $1000?

Kevin
Ok, so no way it got a bid and probably went to HRG for scrap price...or is on consignment with them.

Funny...if it has the right power feed and a new plastic cover for the top isn't outragously expensive I'd be templed to buy it myself (for the eventual 200 bucks HGR will have to sell it for anyway) as it would be the ultimate "before and after" situation that wouldn't take forever to do.

In spite of the X's my Spidey Sense is telling me it may not be in bad condition. The spindle bearings on those are a standard size, cheap and easy to replace.

Ok, so no way it got a bid and probably went to HRG for scrap price...or is on consignment with them.

Funny...if it has the right power feed and a new plastic cover for the top isn't outragously expensive I'd be templed to buy it myself (for the eventual 200 bucks HGR will have to sell it for anyway) as it would be the ultimate "before and after" situation that wouldn't take forever to do.

In spite of the X's my Spidey Sense is telling me it may not be in bad condition. The spindle bearings on those are a standard size, cheap and easy to replace.

Don't yet know whether to bless or blame, but 'twas YOU who infected me with wanting one after over forty years of dog-paddling with a 1942 Walker-Turner (hey.. cheap way to get a "Kearney & Trecker" badge under-roof, anyway!).

Ones I have been tracking - small/medium "AB" - series would fit - are asking about $3,000. Most other geared-head DP have way less power, AND would need a cutout in my 8' 6" overhead. Just not on my dance-card.

Good news on the bearings. Motors are where they can be gotten to. What about the gears and such?

Bill

Good news on the bearings. Motors are where they can be gotten to. What about the gears and such?
Dunno about the gears....shouldn't be many as it is two speed only gear wise....the rest is "Reeves Drive" variable speed discs. The plastic top cover may be the downfall, pricewise.... Willis in Ohio can quote. Year ago I bought a very late Alzmetall that was shipped common carrier, fell over and cracked the cover. I remember the price for a new cover was high enough I decided to glue the original back...but can't remember the price.

(as an aside, the drill arrived upright...the only way I knew the damage was from falling over was the trucking company didn't think to pry the wood floor remnants out of the hex cap screws ! Amazingly it was fine except for the cover and a slightly bent hand spoke)

Speed tach seems to still be there, but can't see how it looks on the face. Most likely the blue X can be removed via solvent without fading the screen print on the face panel.

Now... with a Steinway piano finish you might have the opportunity to one up Ross with his Bentley finish Deckel FP3 :popcorn:

Dunno about the gears....shouldn't be many as it is two speed only gear wise....the rest is "Reeves Drive" variable speed discs. The plastic top cover may be the downfall pricewise.... Willis in Ohio can quote.

Foolish me. Didn't know about the Reeves. Damn.

That sound would cue memories of 88-cent an hour shift work in front of a verdammt 'Powermatic' drill-press-shaped-object. Walker-Turner on ugliness-steroids without the bother of de-burring anything under shite-cheap green paint and white skunk-stripes. Skunk Union shudda sued them for defamation.

Guess I need to revisit short-column radials again.

:(

Bill

Foolish me. Didn't know about the Reeves. Damn.

That sound would cue memories of 88-cent an hour shift work in front of a verdammt 'Powermatic' drill-press-shaped-object. Walker-Turner on ugliness-steroids without the bother of de-burring anything under shite-cheap green paint and white skunk-stripes. Skunk Union shudda sued them for defamation.

Guess I need to revisit short-column radials again.
If you want all gear head heavy duty drill think in Spanish or Swedish.... Ibarmia or Erlo from Spain..... or Solberga or Arboga from Sweden. Re Ibarmia...think South Bend as well, as SB private labeled Ibarmia in the 1980's and 90's.

Having said that, the nicest all geared drill press I've ever owned was a Kira, made in Japan. In the 1980's there was a dealer for them here in SC so they turn up every other blue moon...man what a sweet machine. Here's a sistership... Alibaba Manufacturer Directory - Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters & Importers

Below is link to what seems to be a very nice Ibarmia, complete with the proper type of power feed where you engage/disengae simply by pushing the button at the end of any hand spoke.

3" Swg 2HP Spdl Southbend Ibarmia B 35 Drill Press Geared Head Power Downfeed | eBay

No "before and after" glory possibilities however.... it's ready to go as is...

If you want all gear head heavy duty drill think in Spanish or Swedish.... Ibarmia or Erlo from Spain..... or Solberga or Arboga from Sweden. Re Ibarmia...think South Bend as well, as SB private labeled Ibarmia in the 1980's and 90's.

Those were where I started my quest - Swedes first , Basque later. Along with several of the older US marques we once had such a wide choice among.

Many were top-mount motored - and/or too tall, regardless. Many had 'integral' motors not always convertible to 240. Others had narrow and 'too-fast' speed ranges. Unobtanium drive or feed geartrain parts abound.

An old, slow, 'camelback' is closer to my needs, but I don't want one.

Not much gained over dog-paddling the W-T beyond its rated capacity, IOW.

Bill

That looks like the exact model we bought new in the early/mid 80's. Hell of a good machine. Bill

"Below is link to what seems to be a very nice Iberia, complete with the proper type of power feed where you engage/disengae simply by pushing the button at the end of any hand spoke."

3" Swg 2HP Spdl Southbend Ibarmia B 35 Drill Press Geared Head Power Downfeed | eBay

No "before and after" glory possibilities however.... it's ready to go as is...[/QUOTE]

That looks like the exact model we bought new in the early/mid 80's. Hell of a good machine. Bill

"Below is link to what seems to be a very nice Iberia, complete with the proper type of power feed where you engage/disengae simply by pushing the button at the end of any hand spoke."

No "before and after" glory possibilities however.... it's ready to go as is...

Thanks, there's also another listing at the moment.

Decent enough machines, but .. also roughly double the price of an older Alzmetall, taller, wastes more daylight out of that height, and has lesser capability for pushing serious-large drills, cutters, hole-saws.

I don't have a 'production' need, either.

What I have is the odd unexpected 'challenge' and for the DP to sit out of the way, eat little, and just mind its manners in between serious calls to duty.

Radials don't do the staying out of the way thing all that well, or I'd have a used Taiwanese one already. And may yet, even if it would need a good deal of rework.

Bill

Decent enough machines, but .. also roughly double the price of an older Alzmetall, taller, wastes more daylight out of that height, and has lesser capability for pushing serious-large drills, cutters, hole-saws.
Now this is going to sound like you typing to me, so I am at some Captain Obvious risk here....but the ugly Alzmetall may be taller than the normal column style and might still not slide under the standard 7 foot tall home garage door.

The Ibarmia is about 3 inches too tall for a 7 foot opening....but the obvious part is, you can temporarily remove that motor and put it back once inside. I can't imagine any WT product that would even come close. If MV could be talked down to $4,500...and I suspect they could..that would be a great deal on the Ibarmia.

With the below Ibarmia even if not in production you might have fun with "Eeeny Meany Miney Moe, which drill shall I choose today" possibilities ;)

27" Ibarmia Model A 32 6 Spindle Gang Drill s N 66 F 1 thru 6 | eBay

Now this is going to sound like you typing to me, so I am at some Captain Obvious risk here....but the ugly Alzmetall may be taller than the normal column style and might still not slide under the standard 7 foot tall home garage door.

The Ibarmia is about 3 inches too tall for a 7 foot opening....but the obvious part is, you can temporarily remove that motor and put it back once inside. I can't imagine any WT product that would even come close. If MV could be talked down to $4,500...and I suspect they could..that would be a great deal on the Ibarmia.

Two HP? Candy-ass for a serious DP. Alzmetall has to sub for the radials I no longer have.

Anyhoo... the door isn't even 7'. Mere 6' 4", then also loses another 4" ramped within 2' inside of the sill.

Even so, I can only 'count on' 8' once indoors, and but 7' 2" under one beam that bisects the chip & coolant side of the space.

For one, I can just tilt lighter-weight machinery for the transit. Where 'lighter weight' is 2 ton and under. Alzmetall, yes. Most any radial DP, not. On a purpose-built timber cradle, of course. Not 'loose' on bungee-cords and 'hold my beer' hopes.

For TWO, an AB or SJ Alzmetall can have its column shortened by more work at rigging and simple b***y tedium than need of any complex re-engineering. AFAICS, neither AB nor SJ would need that, though.

Guess I have to accept that a Reeves drive run now-and then is less intrusive than a radial sucking up space 24 X 7 X 365 X 10-more-years-here-max (ELSE beyond caring sooner..). so...

Input has been much appreciated. Thanks, all!

Bill

Back