What's new
What's new

Getting an oiler button out of a chinese lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry42

Plastic
I screwed up, again, and while oiling the carriage on my lathe I let the tip of the oil can push the little ball down too far. It disappeared in to? I've just got tape over it for now to keep it clean. How do I get it out and where to find new ones? I'm tempted to make a hook and just try to pull it straight up. The part still there is brass.

Sami's got it. If you have a screw starter, they work pretty good. Just a screwdriver handle with a quick tapered thread at the end of the shank for starting screws in wood.

The other technique is to remove the carriage and then drive it out with a suitable sized drift from the underside.

AKA Last resort :eek:

FWIW - cutting the head off with a small sharp cold chisel leaves a thin ring of brass tube which can easily be collapsed and winkled out of the hole.

The oiler buttons on my import 16x40 (which I am generally satisfied with) are utterly useless. I have never been able to successfully inject oil through most of them (only two work, actually). This includes fiddly tweaking with Luer tip needles on manual squeeze bottles to shove oil between the depressed ball and the rim of the button, and using a high-pressure oil gun with a cross-slit tip to depress the ball while leaving a free space to pump. I've even tried pooling oil on top and then jacking the ball up and down with the tip of a scriber. As far as I can tell, these damned things are installed in blind holes! If there is any "window" of open oil passage between ball-up-and-full-closed and ball-down-and-full-blocked, I haven't found it in more than 5 years of playing with it.

I have not yet succumbed to the temptation of ripping them out with a woodscrew and a pair of needle-nose pliers, but I am getting very, very close. There are only a couple of oilers where a small filler cup would interfere with something (like slides passing overhead) and I'd be happy enough to plug those with felt or something.

In the meantime, the maintenance routine is very old-school. Dribble oil on the slides and run things back and forth weekly (daily if using heavily). Every six months (nine to 12 months if day job keeps me out of my own shop) take the compound and cross-slide apart, manually clean and lubricate.

I'd not be surprised if you pull some of those oilers out on a Chinese machine and find no passage for the oil to go anywhere, seen it on a 3 jaw chuck?
Dan

Yep. I've seen 2-3" long curlicues inside the apron left from match drilling/pinning the gears/shafts. Niiiccce.

Those import oilers were the work of Satan, almost never worked, the balls would stick down and even when the ball would travel up and down almost never would they take oil, normally they just pop out with a pull from vise grips. There were a couple that were flush mounted, no flange on those we used a small slide hammer with a tapered thread extractor, sucked them right out.

Well, for years you guys have been telling people if they make an errant hole to stamp "OIL" next to it and be done. Seems like the universe has switched things up on y'all .. LOL

metalmagpie

Take a drywall screw ,the tip is very sharp, screw it into the ball oiler about 1/4" or so. Then pull it straight up with a claw hammer. I replaced every ball oiler with standard cup types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back