What's new
What's new

New American Made Drill Press With #5 or #6 MT Spindle

jigman586

Aluminum
I am looking for , if anyone knows of any, a company or companies that build manual drill press/boring mills(vertical) here in the states.
We have a old Giddings Boring mill with a #5 MT spindle that has crapped out. Only thing i have been able to find is Knuth and its made in Germany.
ANy help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am looking for , if anyone knows of any, a company or companies that build manual drill press/boring mills(vertical) here in the states.
We have a old Giddings Boring mill with a #5 MT spindle that has crapped out. Only thing i have been able to find is Knuth and its made in Germany.
ANy help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Any US company that would even attempt to build such a thing today would be crazy as they wouldn't sell any, due to a combination of the price they would have to charge to make a profit and their near obsolesence via interpolating holes with CNC mills and machining centers.

And I seriously doubt the Knuth machines are actually made in Germany.... at best they are made in an Eastern Bloc country like Poland or Bulgaria, but more likely in China.

Having said that, if you'd got $$$$$....the USA company Carlton is rebuilding Carlton's to new specs...one of the best radial drills ever made.

===============

As an aside, somewhere here on PM resides a tale of woe from years ago, where someone had their Carlton rebuilt by Carlton to like new standards, took many months of waiting, and then during delivery process it managed to fall off the truck and was destroyed !! Hopefully insurance took care of it and they got another but I can't remember the details on the final outcome.

Thats what i figure too. CNC mills and such have obsoleted these type machines. We got some older guys in a company that are hung up on the old way of doing things! LOL
I been telling the people that decide on new purchases here that there just arent any companies in USA making machines like that old Giddings Lewis & Bickford anymore.
From what i have read and seen the Knuth Machine would do the job we would use it for.

Thats what i figure too. CNC mills and such have obsoleted these type machines. We got some older guys in a company that are hung up on the old way of doing things! LOL
I been telling the people that decide on new purchases here that there just arent any companies in USA making machines like that old Giddings Lewis & Bickford anymore.
From what i have read and seen the Knuth Machine would do the job we would use it for.

Are you looking for a drill press or a boring mill?
That is a curiosity, as he mentions G&L which I don't recall ever building a "drill press" but rather radial drills and horizontal boring mills. But then he mentions "vertical".......so whether he wants a heavy duty gear head drill press or a radial drill isn't yet clear.

A standard drill press with no. 6MT spindle may not even exist....even the below monster (German) Alzmetall AB 40ST I used to own was only MT4. Definitely into very large radial drill territory when talking 6MT.

ab40-1.jpg

What we have now if a Chipmaster Vertical Boring Mill. Sorry for the misinformation.
A geared head drill would do the job it but its got to drill up to a 3" hole. \
That used to be what we used for all our big hole until we got our first Mazak VTC 200. That took alot of the work off the G&L.
Some of the jobs we still run on it are just way easier than the Mazak.

This is like what we have.

Giddings_Lewis_974_Bickford_Chipmaster_Boring_Mill_1.jpg

What we have now if a Chipmaster Vertical Boring Mill. Sorry for the misinformation.
A geared head drill would do the job it but its got to drill up to a 3" hole. \
That used to be what we used for all our big hole until we got our first Mazak VTC 200. That took alot of the work off the G&L.
Some of the jobs we still run on it are just way easier than the Mazak.

This is like what we have.

View attachment 206196
wow....I have seen thousands of different machine tools in my day....but have never seen that model before...interesting....

The only thing i have found close to this other than a radial arm machine is the Knuth brand.

http://d1bwdd6xglc35q.cloudfront.ne...25d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/101696_hpt_fs_1.jpg
If the Knuth was made in Bulgaria or Poland it might be ok...just make sure it wasn't made in China...if made in Taiwan might be ok but still prefer Eastern Bloc for something like that. What is the price ?

But why not buy a late model used 6MT radial drill ? Tight on space ?

Not sure where the modern ZJ below is made but it is available in a 6MT, 3" drill capacity model.

cinnbickford.jpg
d9f56b_d780e8a7886a4a46b03037d073782ed2.jpg

What's "crapped out" on the current machine? That thing looks pretty simple. I'm sure it could be rebuilt and give many more years of service.

Milacron's Alzmmetal was 4 MT. Just enough'serious DP" that he hooked me on having an Alzmetall, but there yah go.. I've had neither need of nor room for an ATW Hole Wizard, or C-B anyway!

:)

Mine IS 5 MT (much older AB5/S - circa 1950 I think) if it is tooling compatibility that is a factor.

Did the research - I cannot push a 3" spade drill with only 7.5 HP and available feed rates and strength, but a helical or annular is not really a problem.

Are not, at least, the "column" machines still made inside the borders of Germany?

http://www.alzmetall.de/alzmetall/index.php?id=bohrmaschinen&L=1

Willis carries 'part of' their line, probably can get the rest, and there are radials in the mix.

No longer showing over #4 MT/MK, even as a listed option, but at what they charge, and for as many years as they DID ship #5, it is probably still available as a special order.

Meanwhile.. costs.. acquisition, transport, installation, training on differences, all those costs matter, too, no?.

Unless the one there now has lunched its geartrain - and maybe even if it HAS, "somewhat" - it should, as Wes noted, be rebuildable. Very much so.

Reconditioning a DP's spindle is the easier part. Drivetrain & feed, less-so.

Any US company that would even attempt to build such a thing today would be crazy as they wouldn't sell any, due to a combination of the price they would have to charge to make a profit and their near obsolesence via interpolating holes with CNC mills and machining centers.

Not just a US company.

Any "legacy style" radial @ 5 MT or 6 MT is likely going to mass a lot more than a CNC critter that can make the same sized holes as fast.

Radials are unwieldy, mass-distribution-wise as well as rudely heavy, and somebody has to transport them a long way.

I have a Fosdick hydraulic 4' arm 17 inch column 6 Morse taper, I think it's 20 hp. I think you are seeking older American iron for your task. Radial drills are inexpensive and handy on dies and jigs. Mine weighs about 20k and I have no doubt on 3 inch drills in steel will pose no issue. Biggest bit I have is 2.5

Taper in Spindle is worn out and clutches are done. Last time they replaced clutches it was like 6000 bucks. But as of last Friday you could stop the spindle in high gear with your hands. We have had it for i guessing 30yrs or so.

I don't know of a single gear head drill manufacturer left in the US. (There used to be probably 20 in Ohio alone.) I don't know of a single radial drill manufacturer left in the US. I think your best options are to repair your G&L (expensive) or get a used radial drill. (They are cheap.)

Back