What's new
What's new

Any info on ancient H&G die head?

JST

Diamond
This one is from before 1927, when an "improvement" to it was patented.

It is a rotating type, and had a pin set up externally to trip the head by pushing in the lever. I have never seen the pin setup, and can't find a patent for the head prior to the 1927 improvement.

hB3CLmS.jpg

xVnWTYl.jpg

The improvement was to add a "tripping shell" with a sloping groove, that was held back by a fork setup, to trip the lever when the lever was pushed in by the sloping internal groove in the shell as the head advanced.

This unit never had a shell, it is prior to that.

Bump.

Nobody knows anything useful? Must be older than I think.

Was H &G just a brand name, or was it ever a company? Google turns up garbage for "H&G", and I do not know what the letters stood for, if anything.

For newer ones, probably.... This one seems to be earlier than the "style EE" H&G, which could be from as early as 1927 when the patent issued, or a couple years before while the application was being processed.

The B&S inserts I do not know about, presumably they are much more recent. The inserts for this one are larger, and have an angled slot in them, which is how they are moved in and out. The hole does not seem to have a function in the head,

jj06rJP.jpg

Yes, these you posted are complete, the newer ones I posted (and I have 2 of these style die heads) the chasers are bolted onto separate carriers. The carriers have the notches (probably similar angled slots) to actuate the pull off.

Yep.

Well this is the antique machinery area, so I thought I'd give it a try. This thing probably could be actually antique, in the sense of being 100 years old, although I doubt it has any particular value, especially given that the logo is barely visible even in part. I only found out it was H&G from a fellow who has a Style EE that is like this but with an added outer tripping sleeve.

All I ever found that was relevant was patent 1,615, 676.

Back