What's new
What's new

O/T - Decent quality 1/4" socket wrench?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
My favorite 1/4" drive ratchet has always been the round head SK which has a pretty fine pitch ratchet action, but I don't think they make them anymore. Whenever I find one at a swap meet, I buy it. I recently bought a Kobalt 85850 at Lowes, and it has an even finer pitch ratchet (90 teeth?) and it seems to be well made and works well. It was $19.95.

Looking around and all I see is crap. Names I don't recognize all in the $10 - $20 range.

Snap-on is the only one that seems to have a quality wrench at $85:

1/4" Drive Standard Handle Round Head Ratchet

Craftsman may as well be called "Crapsman" now, it looks like it's made from re-cycled Skodas:

Amazon.com: Craftsman 11 pc. 6 pt. Standard 1/4 in.Socket Wrench Set 9-3486: Automotive

Any other quality tool names out there? Or have they all succumbed to "Global Walmartization"?

Stahlwille, Gedore, Hazet. (Facom, Bahco, Elora...)
But even the upper sector of dreaded Asian imports are pretty darn good nowadays. Gearwrench is one of the popular ones in US I believe.
Even Pittsburg pro series from Harbor Freight seems pretty decent

My favorite 1/4" drive ratchet has always been the round head SK which has a pretty fine pitch ratchet action, but I don't think they make them anymore.
6.5" 1/4" Drive Professional Reversable Ratchet

They also have a "stubby".

Wright Tools has made the same item - originally under license AFAIK, but I don't recall if S-K licensed from Wright. Or the reverse. i have had both for 50 + years, and neither has ever set a foot wrong

http://www.wrighttool.com/online_catalog.asp

Page 103 of 400.

Superb tools are still made in America.

Some of us even recognize their long-term value and actually BUY THEM!

i did say "fifty years" did I not?

Go figure...

McMaster sells some decent stuff. IIRC Proto is one of them. I use this item McMaster-Carr and find is really useful. Being able to twist the handle back and forth to rotate in close quarters makes is much better than a standard ratchet in many cases. For the usefulness and quality price is very fair.

Snap-on is the only one that seems to have a quality wrench at $85:

1/4" Drive Standard Handle Round Head Ratchet

Big time OT, and not looking for a fight but.... I just gotta ask...

I may be one of the few on this planet ( and likely the ONLY one on this board ) who absolutely despises round head tools of virtually any kind,
most certainly a ratchet handle!
I mean I don't care smooth or knurled, but what is it that makes a handle desirable which is absolutely indiscernible as to position when gripped?

I do have a few inherited round head ratchets, but could not tell you when was the last time I've used them or had the inclination to do so.
Without a question, my preference is something that I know where it is, how it is positioned and where can I get a solid grab on it.
Hence: handle with edges that even a callous hand can feel.

Now with that caveat out of the way, I have 2 identical Kobalt socket sets which I love that seem to be indestructible.
Both are Made in USA, and oddly enough both came from Lowe's of all places.

Big time OT, and not looking for a fight but.... I just gotta ask...

I may be one of the few on this planet ( and likely the ONLY one on this board ) who absolutely despises round head tools of virtually any kind,
most certainly a ratchet handle!
I don't "understand" the round handle design either.
My WAG is that everyone in US is copying after the famous snap-on design.
AFAIK here in Europe only American Car Enthusiasts use round handle ratchets :D
Can't remember seeing round handle ratchet for ages in anywhere. Polished bling-bling US vs coarse, bit more grippy matte-finish tools is also one of the differences between continents for better or worse.

I've had a " Kamasa " 1/4" ratchet socket set for years. It's not the best quality but good value for money.

My 1/2" set is by " Stahlwille ". Better quality but quite a bit more expensive.

Regards Tyrone.

try martin tools which is a division of martin sprocket. I have never used their sockets but have some of their wrenches and they are excellent. It is my understanding that their tools are all manufactured in Dallas Texas and that they are the OEM supplier for some Snap on items such as body hammers

Stalhwille or Hazet are the best money can buy. They are good and they are expensive. Gedore and Elora are nice too, and a bit more affordable.

I recently bought a couple of Wera Zyklop Slim fold out wallet type sets that seem nice but I haven't used them much yet.

Sorry to dump on your parade but this is exactly the kind of (IMHO) junk I'm talking about!!!

Go ahead and buy the snap-on then if it makes you happy :rolleyes5:

Wouldn't supprise me a bit if the chinese/taiwanese/indian horror weight "pittsburg" handles more ape torque than "good old times" 'Murican made Craftsman.

Thanks for the replies, think I'm settling on the Snap-On offering. I use it in confined spaces a lot so the small head and 72 ratchet count are big.

Wright, SK and Gray all look like quality but fall short of the SO for close to the same price.

Martin looks like they make good sockets but I couldn't find a ratchet on their site.

Round handles are not just a US thing apparently, the Stahlwille has one too:

https://www.tbs-aachen.de/Stahlwill...G-QR_QuickRelease_ratchet_1/4_i3453_48230.htm

Never seemed to bother me, I guess I just figured out which was was "up" when I couldn't see what I was doing.

It's sad that 99% of what's available is China crap, although I know they could make quality tools too if there was a market for them.

I must be getting old, I'm starting to sound like my old man...

Go ahead and buy the snap-on then if it makes you happy :rolleyes5:

Wouldn't supprise me a bit if the chinese/taiwanese/indian horror weight "pittsburg" handles more ape torque than "good old times" 'Murican made Craftsman.

"Crapsman" has fallen by the wayside and are now made in those locations from re-cycled Skoda's, sad.

skoda.jpg

Back