What's new
What's new

Knurling tool

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello,

I need to do allot of knurling operations (diamond pattern). I currently use a form knurling tool in my CNC lathe. Problem is...it's a PITA to setup and get consistent results. I found some knurling tools like accu-track that have a knurling tool that cuts instead of forms. It should be allot easier to setup.
I only found positive reviews of this tool. It ain't very cheap but the price worth it because it saves allot of time. Some opinions on this tool or alternatives?

I would recommend a cut knurling tool all day long. It took us a few goes to get comfortable with it, but once we hit on the right speeds and feeds it has proved to be pretty good. We still get the odd part in any batch run we do that doesn’t seem to come out correctly, but it’s manageable for us. Just remember that the OD still grows slightly just not as much as a normal form knurler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly agree with the above post. Cut knurling is the shit. Don't get one of those nasty form knurling tools anywhere near me.

Hello tcncj,
I've been turning at the highest level for decades. Knurling is the most difficult operation to master, especially on heat treated alloys. I'm very interested on hearing anything on this subject. Thanks for bringing this up for discussion.
otrlt

I'm out of Goats.

I've been turning at the highest level for decades.

I hafta ask, what exactly does the above statement mean? Exactly? Like for Vulcans or something? Maybe building parts for Gene?

Knurling is the most difficult operation to master

Do you mean in Life, or just on a Manual Lathe? Knurling is a filthy, raw and aggressive operation; "difficult"? "Most difficult"???? I don't think so. There is too much to set-up to really explore difficult in a short amount of time, try single point threading 0-80, try single point internal 2-56, try drilling .05mm holes in 304. I can think of some pretty horrifying operations that I have done, with questionable success. :dunce: I'm not even going to get into compound angularity, all around Profile or other make believe GD&T callouts. There's some pretty tough stuff out there.

Robert

Oh yeah, Accu-trak for me!! Bumping is tech. from the Bronze age.

I would recommend a cut knurling tool all day long. It took us a few goes to get comfortable with it, but once we hit on the right speeds and feeds it has proved to be pretty good. We still get the odd part in any batch run we do that doesn’t seem to come out correctly, but it’s manageable for us. Just remember that the OD still grows slightly just not as much as a normal form knurler.

Cut knurling tool will also happily reduce the diameter if you fuck up your math.

Best one I did was probably close to 1mm smaller after cut knurling with "slightly" too aggressive DOC :D

Cut knurling tool will also happily reduce the diameter if you fuck up your math.

Best one I did was probably close to 1mm smaller after cut knurling with "slightly" too aggressive DOC :D

[emoji38][emoji38]

The realy good scissor style pressure ones work just fine too, don't think any one makes a good one any more though, have a old turret mounted one and have never had a bad knurl off it.

That said, cut knurling is lovely, just hard to spend more on a tool for a occasional job than i have im my lathe! Have only used the quik ones, but again there good!

I bought a zues knurling tool today at my local tool supplier. Not cheap, but saves allot of time.
Thanks for all the feedback

Cut knurling should be the right way to go for CNC. Bit surprised by the size/maths problems. Can only presume that the machines in question don't have proper set-up procedure to get things right straight out of the box. In principle such is possible but does require proper reference surface provision on the tool.

Agree with Adama that a good scissors type is great. A Marlco 3" capacity one built on a 4" + cube of steel came with the Pratt & Whitney. Gotta be a serious job to heft that out of the drawer.

Gotta say I'm impressed by this Pratt & Whitney pivoting push knurl type with on centre and underslung wheel arrangements instead of the usual symmetrical about the pivot layout. Only paid £ 5 for it. Bought for the name really (Yup I'm sad. So) but it seems to pick up much better than the usual type. My guess is that having one knurl on centre gives a truer firmer push to get the first cut started on a smooth surface. Pivoted wheel having an easier time of it as its working on a partial surface with one side of the diamond pre formed.

P&W Knurling Tool.jpg

Clive

That said, cut knurling is lovely, just hard to spend more on a tool for a occasional job than i have im my lathe!

I bet "power skiving" would make really nice knurl right from the start and also make the cut knurling tools look like bargain!
Toyoda e5H GS Gear skiving - YouTube :D

If you want cheap cut knurling tool for manual lathe making DIY one to cut diamond knurl you have to pay only for one wheel.
With the exorbitant cut knurling tool prices you can still imagine it profitable even if your shop rate is 100$/h. ;)

DSC_0878.jpg

Received the Zeus knurling tool.
Took me some time before I found I had to install the right knurling wheel in the position that's marked left. And the left wheel in the R position.
But I'm very happy so far :) Just 2 quick test cuts.

Back