What's new
What's new

Cool Heald I.D. Grinder

Cleaned up and painted it would be adorable but I'd hold out for a 72A. The 72 is going to be a lot more productive and easier to maintain, too.

Much as I love antique machines, there comes a point when something is just too primitive ...

Not me - I had the non knee planetary version and scrapped it - maybe 25 years back

If I was after one it would be the hyd job with the giant work head spindle bore

The manual however is desirable to this publication collector

Out of interest I looked up Houston to Hallsville Distance between Hallsville, TX and Houston, TX 214 miles ......then got a mental picture of John Oder and Alskfjfhg neck and neck on the highway, pedal to the metal ...........recreating the Wacky Races

johnoder:

The Worm Shaft and Handwheel for swiveling the Work Head are missing from the left hand side of the machine. The original Drive Pulley and Clutch for the Work Head have been removed when the new motor drive was installed. The Trip Dogs and the Automatic Reverse Handle are
missing. The Jack Shaft for driving the Coolant Pump is missing. My No.70 Grinder has Serial Number 1335 and despite its age has done
some very fine work grinding Spindle Bushings. Needless to say, any repair parts needed have to be made "in house".

Hendeyman

That machine looks very similar to a Parker & Majestic I sold a while back. When the guy came to try it, before buying it.....He ground the ID of a few 4”dia. parts 2” deep, then cleaned up the OD with the same wheel. He took the parts back to his shop for inspection. According to this guy, he could grind these parts 3x faster than they’re new CNC cylindrical grinder. He claimed they were dimensionally perfect and bought the machine.

He claimed they were dimensionally perfect ...
Then he needed new measuring tools :) There ain't no such thing ....

I'd agree on the convenience tho. If you only had five parts to do, you'd be finished on the manual grinder before you could even set the nc one up.

Back