What's new
What's new

1/4hp motor for 9C?

Long Lonesome

Plastic
The SB 9C lathe I recently bought has been fitted with a large 1/2hp, 110v motor. I happen to have a nice 1/4hp, 220v motor that I would like to use in order to solve a couple of problems.

First, the motor that is on the lathe now is so large, an adapter plate had to be used to shift the motor over for proper belt alignment. It sits behind the chuck. Second, I'm not certain that it can be wired for reverse, and my 1/4hp motor can. Also, the way it is mounted, the shaft oil cups point forward and down. It was suggested in an earlier post that I use offset oil cups, but I believe that they would still incline down, away from the shaft. My motor has rubber isolation donuts on the end bells where the mounting bracket attaches and can be rotated to allow the oil cups to face up. The isolation mounting may be a plus, as well, and the motor just "looks right" and fits right on the lathe - without an adapter plate.

The South Bend website recommends a 1/4hp motor for the 6-spd 9C.

Does anyone here feel that 1/4 hp would be inadequate, given that this lathe will be for hobby use only?

Thanks,

Greg

I tend to agree with Andy. My 9c had a 1/4 hp on it when my uncle had it. As I recall, the (synthetic) flat belt would always slip off before the motor would stall.

I have a 1/2 hp on it now, but only because I had the motor on hand.

I've never been satisfied with the synthetic belt - partly because the joint wasn't set true when it was glued. I'm going to switch to a serpentine automotive belt running inside out.

A good belt may be able to transmit more than 1/4 hp. Stock removal with a 9" SB is a slow process regardless.

Hi there,

I've noticed that the older 1/4 HP motors on 9" South Bends seem to have as much oomph as the 1/2 HP motors being made today.

Paula

"I've noticed that the older 1/4 HP motors on 9" South Bends seem to have as much oomph as the 1/2 HP motors being made today"

Very likely.

I would probably put a larger 56 Frame motor in there. Probably 1/2 HP, of the "2005 ISHP" (International Standard HP) type ;) .

Seriously, there are some honestly rated motors out there, but you've got to look for them.

Just this weekend I played with a very nice Baldor "instant reverse" 1/3 HP 56 Frame motor, and that beastie had a 1.35 S.F. ... rated to produce 135 percent of nameplate HP ... which is equivalent to 0.45 HP. Exceptionally well constructed, except that it had a half-assed implementation of the "GE Reverswitch" which Paula's motor (a GE) has a real-live example of.

Back