What's new
What's new

1" flat belt needed

pghlost

Plastic
Replaced my belt on SB 10L with one that was on fleebay. Wound up being some thin shiny stuff that has stretched several times.
I would like to find an original thick belt approx. 63" long.
I have a belt lacer.
Any help would be appreciated.

pghlost

Go to your local auto parts store. Tell them you want a serpentine belt at least 63 inches long. Buy that belt. Cut it to exact length if you have to. Use your belt lacer to connect the ends. Done!! Forget about the leather belt thing. The rubber serpentine belts have much more grip at much less tension than leather.

In the 1970s I replaced the leather belt on my 10K with a belt that had been slit off a wider conveyor belt. It lasted until last year when the lacings pulled out. It had great traction. I couldn't find anyone locally that could do Clipper lacings so I bought one of the shiny brown synthetic belts odd the Bay. Traction was poor until I sprayed adhesive on the inside of the belt. Synthetic belts have a couple of great advantage over leather. Synthetics don't stretch. Lacings hold better in synthetic belts.

In the 1970s I replaced the leather belt on my 10K with a belt that had been slit off a wider conveyor belt. It lasted until last year when the lacings pulled out. It had great traction. I couldn't find anyone locally that could do Clipper lacings so I bought one of the shiny brown synthetic belts odd the Bay. Traction was poor until I sprayed adhesive on the inside of the belt. Synthetic belts have a couple of great advantage over leather. Synthetics don't stretch. Lacings hold better in synthetic belts.

Just curious, where in IL are you? I know some local sources for belts (including John Knox as mentioned in this thread)But I am near Chicago.

Marc

I'm using the shiny ebay belt. Works OK after a few rounds of adjustment. I did have to wipe the flat pullies down with mineral spirits before it would run though. Proper leather grips through oil better than the synthetic does.

+1 on Al Bino. Put a 2" belt on my 13 and it has been perfect.

lXsLHxOCxrs57zLWqqt4xHL2g2UC4q9NzNy6T06EeO-0i952zDR_ElO0fFVfO3OIIizAkg_kJVLUkFuOwallm3i26S0G8jLHfk1uL3Hj9HufWIjJtghMY_qATAB5a6tQd07eq8kSnvxQJwbhqqpjxNoDtH22XiW0IB5U1FePW5pmyNkfYKTcS4OQL0TMQS2Mm7vmIJCIchXbZnds9t1xzw5wzrDcWykotVhBBM6uEboZzYi2qWG47FQ_Px_6Ixuk44IUdyL7oAxWA5YHJwEjacOjU2kaJlvc2XS5eqKW3d9Pe6SLMxLLxocxCdfQSFge6IdUzbM-87tgC2FO1fxYonqeZOAo_V2xgOxXbud3w2VwXd-pNs5mXnP8g9ABsZlk30ZSeZcIB6OzW-kX3cjwUK4QEPPE9t1Mfn7uKuN6LqQYBhxOSzOGm2HGN0uSLj0lsrHP-NaokZ-jz2Qi6HxLvL0sDBsk99DdvPVD4wqzPh2TGTxiYElhmVsjGqL2MAqTqRwvrvdWG0O2ikGAwi62cQftIzrKUz93KCN9GfgkchhCgeFn46JVDsrFuLZ7h1KjJVhhbMwNLNMmJHrr4VW_Bbs1qtKI2jQ4NFEl-T2ErNS8z9tbKcKK6pjtzZEBl9Avp_2PtNapr6cXc9wiOsIDvdcllqxYEilDyvwv=w601

1" flat belt needed

I’m cheap I go to auto wreckers get auto serpentine size up on lath then cut one over other end into a v put Saran Wrap under then use Loctite to bond have one on a heavy 10
fora number of years no problems or slipping and it was free

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I just replaced a leather belt and used www.leatherdrivebelts.com.
The guy didn't even want me to pay him until I ran the belt on my machine and all was ok. I am a sucker for that old machinery and keeping that old technology going.

My vote for the polygroove auto belt,too......I used to glue them,but now I lace them using "Stihl" whipper/snipper cord...run with the belt grooves to the pulley,lacing in the grooves.......they last forever....The cut green belt is too stiff for small pulleys IMHO,and costs a fortune.

I’m in the polyvee group. I cut my original belt at an angle when I rebuilt the lathe, super glued it back together and it held for 30-40 hours. But when it broke I could not reglue it. The John Deere dealer has been a good source of belts for me, got 3 so far this winter from the tech’s. Have couple extras now. This is a good time of year to get them from a JD dealer used, they are checking over and going through lots of machines now. I trimmed and over lapped the joint and used super glue. It’s ran probably 40 hours so far, if it break will try the trimmer lacing idea. I will say I was desperate when the belt broke. Until I got a polyvee belt I used a round baler belt. I trimmed it for width and length, laced it and stuck it on. It did squeak a little but talk about power. I don’t think it would slip, was afraid something else might break before it did. But it is now my backup.

Back