What's new
What's new

10 L Spindle thrust bearing

jonok

Cast Iron
Did anyone ever find a replacement thrust bearing source for heavy 10s?

I had a bit of a panic last week when mine started clicking ominously under any significant load toward the chuck.

Grizzly, of course has nothing of the sort anymore.

I scoured the internet and obviously came across all of the stuff on this site from 7 or 8 years ago.

(ultimately, I took the spindle out this weekend, and upon removing the bearing I found a nasty little chip wedged into the bearing keeper, without any discernible damage to the ball or either washer and upon removal and reassembly, the noise went away)

That being said, I did run across several companies that will custom fabricate bearings, and, in the interest of the public good, if someone has an old thrust bearing lying around that could be used as a pattern, and that they'd like to donate to the cause, I'd be willing to pursue having some made.

if, on the other hand, somebody has found a source, I'd love to know about it

Having put a few hours on the machine since I took it apart, it still clicks occasionally, so I'm worried that all is not right. Someone must have had the same problem and has found a better solution than pulling the roller thrust bearing out and replacing it with bronze.
Help!

Jonok,
I have a used Thrust Bearing from a SB lathe.
Measures approx. .622 thick x 2.341 OD x 1.346 ID
one washer and 1.316 2nd washer. It has 17-.25 Dia.
Ball Bearings in the steel gage. It is used but
very usable as is. Has some tarnish and minor pitting.
20.00 with free shipping.
spaeth
DSCN0587.jpg DSCN0586.jpg

Mine has an I.D. of 1.88, so I suspect it's a different spindle size. Thanks for the offer though!

Joining along on this post. My spindle clicks as well occasionally and I would love to replace the bearing with a roller type thrust bearing if one exists.

jonok,
Look for an EW 1-7/8 Thrust Bearing. Bearing book shows
it to have 1.879 ID x 2.750 OD x .625. Most of the major
bearing companies can cross ref. that number or if those
dimensions are not right they can offer one that would
work as is or with a little modification. Probably cost
50-75 bucks
spaeth

Have spent hours on the Internet and over an hour with several nice people from Motion Industries, Berry Bearing, and Grainger. Nobody can come close to those dimensions. I am in communication with Latheman2 (who sold me my heavy ten and is a hell of a nice guy) and he too has no source for the bearing.
If you have somebody that can actually provide one of these, for God's sake spill!

I am seriously considering financing a production run to keep the world's10L's up and running...

Janok,
The EW 1-7/8 Thrust bearing has flat raceways, no grooves.
The W series has grooved raceways but is a bit bigger.
W 1-7/8 1.879 ID x 2.813 OD x .750 Thick. These sizes
were from a Bearings Inc. Catalog and made by Andrews.
spaeth

Thrust.bearing

Janok,
The EW 1-7/8 Thrust bearing has flat raceways, no grooves.
The W series has grooved raceways but is a bit bigger.
W 1-7/8 1.879 ID x 2.813 OD x .750 Thick. These sizes
were from a Bearings Inc. Catalog and made by Andrews.
spaeth

I posted in my 13 thread, the bearrings, i found on ebay . It is a far better bearing than was orginal in the lathe. It has a double row of smaller bearings in a bronze casing, it measuse close to the orginal. i used the orginal bearing races and put the bearrings on each side of my spindle.i have probably ran it 10 hrs with no problems. Jonathan
Ps. My spindle measused1.88

I posted in my 13 thread, the bearrings, i found on ebay . It is a far better bearing than was orginal in the lathe. It has a double row of smaller bearings in a bronze casing, it measuse close to the orginal. i used the orginal bearing races and put the bearrings on each side of my spindle.i have probably ran it 10 hrs with no problems. Jonathan
Ps. My spindle measused1.88

could you provide a link?

The width is always the sticking point. Either too wide or too narrow, when you look into stock bearings. I made one a few years ago by silver-soldering hardened washers to each side of the raceways on a stock ball-thrust bearing and surface grinding to final width.

Latheman (Ted) came up with the original drawing, and I'm going to have some made I think. Mine lasted 50 years, so it was probably a pretty good design.

I'll let people know when I have some in hand.

Well, what's likely to happen is I'm gonna make lathman the guy to go to as he provided the drawings when nobody else would set me up with a trashed bearing as a pattern.
I still find myself occasionally staring stupidly at the pretty lathe he sold me (at a ridiculously reasonable price) once upon a time, and think how lucky we are to have guys like him around...

But I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I do.

So since there is an original drawing how about
ending the suspense and tell us the other missing
dimensions. ID of 1.88 was given several times but
OD and Width were only referred to as too big too
small too fat too skinny. Is the bearing encased or
just a 3 piece open thrust bearing like was posted?

ID 1.880
OD 2.562
Thickness .437+-.005
Three piece, caged roller bearings (20) races are not identical.

if you have a source for something more or less identical please me know because the prototyping from a bearing manufacturer who can match specs is gonna cost me over $1000, and the initial production run of 20 is gonna be about the same. That means at least $200 a pop to not lose money on my part.

Back