What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Spindle Removal.....New Thread

piniongear

Stainless
PG,
I bought the 12T shop press ($129) and a 3 pc3 jaw puller at Horrible Freight as you suggested. I want to put the extended collar handlever closer spindle gear (the one I had to swap for the old one that was for a handwheel) on my spindle.
The press has two arbor plates that go on the jack arm. The 12T hydrolic bottle jack lowers the pointed projection to the arbor plates.
My question is how do I set up the spindle which still has the other gears on it and the brass bearings. I dont want to crush or damage anything. Do I set the spindle on the floor
(NO, see below) with a piece of thick wood under it and press the new gear on by using a steel plate or block of wood under the pointed projection? How would you do it?
Thanks,
Thumbz (Nelson)

Allthumbz......I started a new thread so that Mystery Tour's thread did not get Hi-Jacked.
You have got to give me a little help here, as I am not real clear on what your question is.
It sounds like you need to know how to position your spindle in the press to remove/install the gears? Going with that assumption........

StepstoRemoveSpindle.jpg

These are the steps (1 through 4) that you need to do to remove the spindle from the large gear.
The gear face sits on top of the press plates and using a wood block between the ram and the spindle end you press the spindle through the large gear.
Install is just the reverse............ pg

5a) catch spindle with foot as it is about to hit floor. Bonus points if

5b) you catch it with your instep.

6) cuss like a drunken longshoreman.

One time I pressed off a coupling spline from a bmw motorbike
driveshaft. Had to take the thing into work and use the "BIG"
press there.

Knew it was gonna go off with a boom so I put a trash can under it,
full of rags. Cranked and cranked, that dial went higher, and higher,
and higher. Hmm. Time to stop and see what's going wrong.

Stepped back to think, and then BANG the thing unhooked.

Brought the entire model shop in to see what the HECK that guy was
doing now.

Jim

Back