What's new
What's new

10K Bed hard chrome plated?

quasi

Stainless
I have a 10 k 4 1/2 foot bed, on a southbend cabinet. Made in 1986. It has a plate saying flame hardened bed. A visitor to my shop claims the beds on these lathes are actually hard crome plated. It does look like it's crome plated, the lathe is in near new condition. Any comments/ ideas?

Hi Quasi,

I have never seen a South Bend Lathe with a hard chrome bed. I used to own a 10K with the hardened bed (built sometime in the mid eighties) and it wasn't hard chromed. If it is hard chromed, possibly this was done outside the factory?

-Blue Chips-
Webb

Ask your buddy why South Bend went through the trouble of printing a tag that says "Flame Hardened Bed" if, in fact they are hard chromed. Wouldn't they have made the tag say: "Hard Chromed ways"?
If that doesn't convince him, the extreme ends of the bed generally show a pattern left behind by the flame hardening process since temperatures taper off the further you get away from the surface. I think I need a cup of coffee, the words to better describe this escape me at the moment.
Regards,
Dave

[This message has been edited by Meridian (edited 02-12-2004).]

Back