What's new
What's new

10K Gear cover - How to indentify?

Rex TX

Titanium
I have a fairly complete South Bend 10K. The gear cover that it came with apparently fits a different model, it sure doesn't fit up correctly on this one. How can I identify the correct cover for this lathe?
I am happy to order one off ebay but I sure would like to be somewhat assured I'm getting the right one.

Anyone have a spare to sell?

Here's what I have. I'll get a better photo of the end when I'm at the shop this week.
The cover shown is the one that came with it and does not fit.

I wish I knew how to keep those photos from rotating :/

Attachments

• IMG_9927.jpg
    IMG_9927.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9964.jpg
    IMG_9964.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_9965.jpg
    IMG_9965.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9840.jpg
    IMG_9840.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 179
not the same one, look at the hinge.

650 is a common casting number shared by both the 9" and 1Ok, IIRC it is simply the code for an end cover.
650NK1 is for 9", 650NK2 is for 10k
TEd can confirm.

It just does not line up, no matter what I do with the bracket.
I'm going to mount it to a bench later this week. I'll fiddle with it again. Maybe there's an issue with the mounting bracket.

Honestly, It's been a few months since I tried to install it. IIRC it did not line up horizontally or vertically, off by 1/2" or so toward the front and down. I found some documentation then that showed 3 different covers for the 9 ABC & 10K lathes, and seemed to indicate I needed a 647 cover instead of a 650.
This lathe came from a home shop that had 2 other SBs and a lot of spare parts, including some that did not fit any of the lathes on hand.
As I understand it from the SB docs, the 9" A/B/C and 10K use one of 3 different covers depending on configuration. I have had 2 9As and a 9C and none had the cover with this horizontal "ear" at the hinge area.
At any rate, given all the above, when it would not line up properly I concluded I must have the wrong cover. But I need to get it out to set it up, so I'll give this cover another look. Could be I missed something. Or maybe I was holding my mouth wrong. :)

The eBay one came off a 10k, guaranteed.

it has the 1/2" of spacer stack and also the pin is actually an eccentric that gives you front to back adjustment.

And now that I looked a little closer you can plainly see it is 650NK2

The eBay one came off a 10k, guaranteed.

it has the 1/2" of spacer stack and also the pin is actually an eccentric that gives you front to back adjustment.

And now that I looked a little closer you can plainly see it is 650NK2

Did not realize the pin was an eccentric. Maybe that was the issue. I seem to recall the pin was a bit rough as well.

I'll take another look. Thanks!

Looks to me from the pictures that the banjo is the problem. Something is not in alignment because thoes gears should be meshing in a straight line. Unless it is the picture angle get that part in alignment and then try the cover. Again this is my humble opinion based on your pics.

Your cover looks just like the one on my 10K & appears to be the same vintage machine.
Here is a couple of pictures the of the cover & bracket etc. on mine.
I had to do a little finagling to get mine to line up right and I added a large washer/shim on top of the original spacer, that you can see in the photoHardy Reel, South Bend Gear Box 025.jpgHardy Reel, South Bend Gear Box 024.jpg.
I also found that on this cover (and others), that it was sagging as a result of the pin being loose in the poured babbitt/lead foundation. I re-tooled the soft babbitt much like plumbers tool the lead in poured lead/oakum joints in old cast iron waste lines. You can actually carefully move the pivot pin slightly in a more favorable direction, but you can't be overly aggressive. This is the one from my 10K Hardy Reel, South Bend Gear Box 026.jpg
and here is another one for a 9A that had the same problem Hardy Reel, South Bend Gear Box 027.jpg
Hope this helps
CWC(4)

Last edited:
Looks to me from the pictures that the banjo is the problem. Something is not in alignment because thoes gears should be meshing in a straight line. Unless it is the picture angle get that part in alignment and then try the cover. Again this is my humble opinion based on your pics.

I think the outermost gear was loose. When adjusted they mesh fine. Nothing in the geartrain is touching the cover when it is in position.

I rolled the lathe out where I had good light and access and tried it again.

With my bracket at the end of the bed, and cover in it's correct position:

1 - The hinge pin needed to be about 3/4" further out along the Z direction.
2 - About 3/8" in spacers made the height correct.

Photos show the cover in the best positioning available with the bracket and cover on hand.

The page show seems to indicate multiple covers, and that the 650 is not the one for the 10K. OTOH it doesn't clearly show a cover for a 10K with horizontal drive.

So I'm still scratching my head.
IMG_0191.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

I think you have a 9 inch cover. You need a 10K.
Post #3 third pic part number is 650 NK1

Info in post 6 says that is a 9 inch. 650 NK2 is for a 10k.

Ebay add shows part NK2. That's what you need.

I think you have a 9 inch cover. You need a 10K.
Post #3 third pic part number is 650 NK1

Info in post 6 says that is a 9 inch. 650 NK2 is for a 10k.

Ebay add shows part NK2. That's what you need.

Aha! That makes sense. That earlier post did not register on me for some reason.

So, anyone got a NK2 to sell?
I also need a bed "foot" for the headstock end. I think both are the same.

I also found that on this cover (and others), that it was sagging as a result of the pin being loose in the poured babbitt/lead foundation. I re-tooled the soft babbitt much like plumbers tool the lead in poured lead/oakum joints in old cast iron waste lines. You can actually carefully move the pivot pin slightly in a more favorable direction, but you can't be overly aggressive. This is the one from my 10K View attachment 213308
and here is another one for a 9A that had the same problem View attachment 213310
Hope this helps
CWC(4)

I studied that at length as my post was also loose. I noticed the outside looked like it had been brazed under the paint. so I was probably seeing babbit. I presume I can re-flow that with a propane torch and tighten it up?

And yes, that is very helpful!

Back