What's new
What's new

10k head stocks.. New vs old

dmp2275

Plastic
Hello everyone. I picked up a 1950s 10k for basically scrap prices. It had a ton of tooling with it and seems like it's in functioning shape but everything is worn. I'm going to do a full refurb/modernization of this lathe which got me thinking... the only thing I'm not happy about is that it's a bench model and I have a ton of tools packed into a small shop. An undermount (toolroom model) would save some floor space. I have a lead on a newer parts lathe for a fair price that would allow me to convert to an undermount and still bring me in well below the price of an average 10k. The only difference I've noticed is the newer headstock is shaped differently (it's more square vs the rounded "beetle" shape of the earlier 10ks).

Has anyone had both and can anyone confirm if headstocks swap back and forth between the different years of beds?

I'm familiar with tool restorations and have done plenty so I'm not worried about the majority of the work.. Just fitment issues. The plan is to use the undermount bed, saddle, and tailstock from the parts lathe, which are virtually unworn coupled with the leadscrew, gearbox, and small parts from my current lathe. I have an older undermount head casting in storage which is why I'm asking about mounting old headstock on newer (1980s) bed.

Thank you in advance
Dustin

I see no reason that you couldn't do as you wish provided you pay attention to the basics. ie: fit of apron to lead
screw and rack, etc.

Pete

Back