What's new
What's new

10K spindle question(s)

Outboardguy44

Aluminum
I am working on a newly acquired South Bend, catalog number CL670Z with 3 1/2 foot bed, model number stamped in bed ways is DDB102KG. it will need to be worked on before I do any work on it, if that makes any sense...

gearbox chart 1.jpgmodel number.jpg

anyway, I took the spindle out to find that there are no oiling wicks in the headstock. I'm assuming that is wrong. I'm also used to my 9A which does not have bearing inserts in the headstock to support the spindle, but this one does. I don't know enough about the 10K's to know if that's correct either. Whomever inserted the bearings in this headstock did not align the hole in the bushing with the felt wick bores. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with this one.

spindle bushing 1.jpgspindle bushing 2.jpg

Was considering pressing the bushings out and re-positioning so that they would allow the oiling wicks to a) actually be installed, and b) travel properly so they can do their job. Would be interested in hearing/seeing what y'all have to say about my spindle situation. FWIW I haven't measured anything yet WRT the ID of the bearings versus spindle diameter.

Thanks for any insight.

Best,
Chris S

Thanks for the information and the link.

according to the document, the CL-670Z is a nine-inch machine, and that is my catalog number, so I guess I have a 9 and not a 10, is that correct?

It was advertised/sold as a 10K, I bought it from a friend who could only give limited information, but the price was right, so I didn't press him for too many details. For instance, he couldn't tell me if it was an underdrive model (which it is) and also couldn't demonstrate it under power.

Looks like I have some work ahead of me at any rate......<eyeroll>

Thanks for the input.

best,
Chris S

You DO have a 10K

The first few pages designating 9" is just an artifact of it being an Army manual- note the parts breakdown which is from SB is for a 10k

I am sure Ted can help you.

I am working on a newly acquired South Bend, catalog number CL670Z with 3 1/2 foot bed, model number stamped in bed ways is DDB102KG.

I believe the DDB102KG is the bed unit code, not your model number. Is there another number around the machine screws holding the lead screw bracket at the front right hand ways??? That would be your serial number for dating purposes.

John

checked with Ted, he's got the bearing expanders, headstock oiler wicks, and the LH screw for the apron clutch knob. The rest I can take care of, thanks for the help eh.

best,
Chris S

I believe the DDB102KG is the bed unit code, not your model number. Is there another number around the machine screws holding the lead screw bracket at the front right hand ways??? That would be your serial number for dating purposes.

John

yes there is another number stamped in the ways - 40316 K

Hope that helps.

best,
Chris S

Back