What's new
What's new

10K variable speed -desirable? ( and question of value)

BridgeportinD2

Hot Rolled
Hey fellas.

A friend of mine recently bought a house, and the previous owner left behind what I've determined to be a 10K variable speed. He doesn't want it, wouldn't use it if it were working.

I didn't get but a couple of minutes to look at it, but here is my assessment of condition:

Paint and all tags look very good. That's the important stuff, right?:D

The crossfeed handle is broken off, but the dial is intact.

I peered into the cabinet under the headstock, and saw that the drive system was not 'square'.

I did not try to move the long, cross, or compound as there is rust showing at all of the mating surfaces of the ways.

Lantern toolpost, a 6"? three-jaw, and tailstock intact. There were a couple of small collets floating around in one of the drawers. Similar to a 5C but smaller. No evidence of any other collet stuff, or a steady. Wiped the bed ways off with my finger, and they didn't look too bad.

What say you South Bend guys? Just looking for a ballpark on what the little fella might be worth, and let's rate it as turd. My buddy needs some cash and not a lathe.

Thanks Gents.

P.S. Will get photos and a better look here soon.

Will be following... I could use a basement lathe if it's decently fixable :D

Edit: second set of photos looks rough!

It looks much better in person, but it certainly needs some love. The cross screw and handle wouldn't be too tough to make. The crud on the ways scrubs off with a rag. The toughest thing to fix IMO is the vari-drive casting. All of the fixes are certainly doable.

It just had me scratching my head when I flipped the top on the headstock and saw a big wide belt instead of the narrow belt and three pulley dia's like on mine. Then the crank coming out of the front of the cabinet. I knew something different was going on with this lathe.

It looks much better in person, but it certainly needs some love. The cross screw and handle wouldn't be too tough to make. The crud on the ways scrubs off with a rag. The toughest thing to fix IMO is the vari-drive casting. All of the fixes are certainly doable.

It just had me scratching my head when I flipped the top on the headstock and saw a big wide belt instead of the narrow belt and three pulley dia's like on mine. Then the crank coming out of the front of the cabinet. I knew something different was going on with this lathe.

Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full, buddy!

No input on this little lathe guys? On Tony's site, he does say that during '66-'67 a small number of these were built, so maybe it's just a very uncommon commodity.

Here's a link to a page about them on Tony's site:
South Bend "10-K" Light Ten Lathe

Now if this thing were a 10K without vari-drive, what might it be worth? Just looking for a ballpark number. It surely can't be very high, as scrap prices are down and it's a lightweight.

Thanks for any help guys.

Problem is, it looks like it's been in a flood. Or more likely in a space the floor periodically flooded "a little". :D

I don't see much in the way of accessories (steady, 4 jaw, taper attach, micrometer stop or collet closer.) Rusty 5c collets in drawer would not be for this lathe.

Pluses, it does have a threading dial, and the large dia crossfeed and compound dials are nice. Long bed is nice, I think, but not all need one.

It looks like it would clean up fine with a lot of work. Lots of rust on all the ways and bright surfaces to scrape off and clean. I don't normally paint stuff, but that one sure begs for it with all the rust. But it needs cleaned and sand blasted or large electrolysis project first.

If it was running and the lathe was in nice shape, a perfectly working variable speed could add some value for uniqueness. As it is, I would subtract some value to repair and prove it. One more "complex" mechanism with non-standard parts and belts to source, fit, clean up, and make work "nicely".

If it was in my neighbors barn and the ways look like they don't have much of a wear ridge, i might go $450 or so. If I knew he could not be bothered to put it on C-list or advertise or show it around much, $350 might even be fair to get a nuisance out of his way, and become a nuisance in your shop. It's a good start for a project. But it is a pretty good project to start on. Does the spindle still turn freely, or has rust gotten in between it and the bearings?

smt

Problem is, it looks like it's been in a flood. Or more likely in a space the floor periodically flooded "a little". :D

I don't see much in the way of accessories (steady, 4 jaw, taper attach, micrometer stop or collet closer.) Rusty 5c collets in drawer would not be for this lathe.

Pluses, it does have a threading dial, and the large dia crossfeed and compound dials are nice. Long bed is nice, I think, but not all need one.

It looks like it would clean up fine with a lot of work. Lots of rust on all the ways and bright surfaces to scrape off and clean. I don't normally paint stuff, but that one sure begs for it with all the rust. But it needs cleaned and sand blasted or large electrolysis project first.

If it was running and the lathe was in nice shape, a perfectly working variable speed could add some value for uniqueness. As it is, I would subtract some value to repair and prove it. One more "complex" mechanism with non-standard parts and belts to source, fit, clean up, and make work "nicely".

If it was in my neighbors barn and the ways look like they don't have much of a wear ridge, i might go $450 or so. If I knew he could not be bothered to put it on C-list or advertise or show it around much, $350 might even be fair to get a nuisance out of his way, and become a nuisance in your shop. It's a good start for a project. But it is a pretty good project to start on. Does the spindle still turn freely, or has rust gotten in between it and the bearings?

smt

Mr. Thomas-

Thanks for the assessment. As far as the rustiness goes, the lathe has sat in an unheated building with no decent ventilation for last 15 years without use or care. Condensation has left its mark. The toughest part of the de-rusting IMO would be the sheetmetal, which would need blasting and painting, but then the lathe and cabinet don't match. We know where things go from there.

As far as the vari-drive, Tony's page mentioned the Hi-Lo company out of Minneapolis being the builder, and they are still in business. So maybe parts wouldn't be unobtanium.

I did not detect any noticeable ridging on the ways. The lathe was in a trade school (the beat marks on the compound tell it all) in Ottumwa, IA until the previous owner of my friends new property bought it, and never used it.

The spindle is free enough to rock, but I thought pulling the caps might be wise before actually trying to turn it over. I will do this when I get a chance.

I'd take it home but I have a 9A there already that hardly gets used. I'm a machinist at a cutting tool company during the day, and do some die work and machining in the evenings at another shop. I pretty much get my fill by the end of the day. Plus I've got access to two Pacemakers at the second shop, so the little 9A sits and waits.

Thanks again for the help!

Like the others $350 seams realistic given all the little issues it has and all the parts that it will most likely need. Also who know what other issues it could have because it can't be run currently.

Not that anyone on this site would do it...:D.....

But the reason i suggested $450, (or $350 if you know the guy will never advertise or make an effort), is that it would be fairly easy to part that out for $750 - $1,000. But you would have the work and time to organize, advertise, photo, and relate to potential buyers, plus to get good $ much would still have to be cleaned.

TS, Headstock, Saddle & compound, apron, should each be good for $150+/-; the gearbox a little more than that. Banjo * end gears, long series leadscrew, threading dial should each be good for around $100; even the presumably crap chuck could get $50 as could each of the cabinet and remains of the bed and bed twisting feet. Parts for the "rare" drive might take longer, but someone out there needs them. etc.

At some level, parts value minus the effort to sell them puts a floor under common commodity items. If you "could" be interested in it as a project, there comes a line where your competition is the parts guys, not other project guys. :)

smt

Back