Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is a nice looking SB in the Detroit area..for 3700
    Agree may be 1944 or so..and not a taper atch. or a 3jaw
    South Bend Heavy 1 Metal Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Upon further scrutiny..its a repaint...the gearbox plate would have originally been pop riveted and now has screws, missing apron hand wheel nut..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And not a very good repaint at that, rust peeking through in a few places. I'm not trying to slam the seller, and all in all it appears to be a nice lathe for its intended work. I was also a little curious about the nicer tool holder not mounted and in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    Upon further scrutiny..its a repaint...the gearbox plate would have originally been pop riveted and now has screws, missing apron hand wheel nut..
    The apron Handwheel is pinned on, as it is supposed to be.(you’re thinking of the tailstock)
    SBL used pop rivets for a short time, then went with small screws.
    Ted

5. Likes old_dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

shit Ted....it gets worse than that, the damn flu has me seeing SB but thinking Sheldon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    A new lathe of that quality likely would cost $10K.. Other than not having metric, and you can get a change grear for metric..With care a perfect lathe of that quality would last a life time..Agree there are Logans, Rockwells, and a number of great names out there...any one in top condition will cost some bigger bucks..Yes one can be lucky and get a cream pull for $1500 or so...perhaps on the second Tuesday of next week.
    *It might be worth that much. *But 24" between centers consider that...bed does not look perfect..

You can buy a brand new lathe project for the same price and wish it ran better the second day...
    *but if you have to ask then you need to take a lathe guy to look at any lathe you might choose.

qt: [No taper attachment] agree I like a taper attachment and a thread half nut..
    Here in Michigan I see about the same lathe from $800 to $2900

Couple years ago saw a old stock new lathe (a later model, US made SB) for $5,000. almost bought it.
    Just for clarification, metric thread cutting on a 10K requires a set of 10 gears, not just the 127 tooth one. When I ordered my machine, the SB sales woman told me they only sold this gear set with new machines and that they were not available separately. Now, how true that was/is, I don't know, but I do know that I have never seen a gear set offered for sale........ever. When I bought my 10K, I ordered it with everything they made for it including this gear set. Interestingly, SB did not send me the gear chart plate at the time. I didn't catch that at that time and had to buy a Repo several years later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DamnColdGarage View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the responses. Decent lathes in this area that are under $2K seem to go pretty quickly. Perhaps it is worth $3K to some, but I don't think I can swallow it. There was a decently tooled Craftsman 101 with a quick-change gearbox that was on Craiglist for $1200 that I tried to jump on, but by the time I got home that evening the ad had disappeared, so I guess I'm not the only one looking for lathes in this sweet spot.
    Don't compare the Craftsman or Atlas lathe with a 10K, it's like apples and oranges. The 10K is a real lathe with features and accessories like those offered on big industrial machines never offered or available on the toys you are comparing the 10K to. Educate yourself first then go looking for a machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one for sale in Detroit area for $3700 is actually in Windsor. I spoke with him earlier in the week - he sold it for full price!!

10. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC Mech View Post
    No. No 10k or any model SB is worth $3000. Keep looking.
    That's funny!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Don't compare the Craftsman or Atlas lathe with a 10K, it's like apples and oranges. The 10K is a real lathe with features and accessories like those offered on big industrial machines never offered or available on the toys you are comparing the 10K to. Educate yourself first then go looking for a machine.
    Oh, I realize the SB is more of a "real" lathe. You can simply look at it vs a Craftsman and see the SB is a lot stiffer. However, as someone just looking to get into it as a hobby I thought a reasonably priced Craftsman would be a good starting point.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think if the one I saw listed nean the Op.(Portland)..the Cr was one owner like new 1236 with QC..so yes a nice hobby lathe..
    Agree the SB. Logan, Rockwell(and others) heaver and better if in good condition.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to everyone for giving me more perspective on this. There are so many stories of people saying they got some amazing machine for pocket change -- it warps your perception. No one tells the story how they paid a fair price.

Too bad there's no Blue Book for old lathes....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any lathe is worth what someone else is willing to pay. For those of us that know what they could be bought for 20 years ago it's hard to accept the prices we see. There are dealers and rip off artist inflating prices hoping for a uneducated buyer. They have always been there.
    A lot of good Manual lathes and mills were going for not much more than scrap 20 years ago. The CNC syndrome. Now the guys making prototype parts and hobby machinist have brought the market back some. I stopped thinking ,buy cheap ,and buy on condition and price. I'm getting to old to overhaul everything I own. You spend the money one way or the other. Sometimes more money on the bargain.
    There are still bargains but all those old barns are getting cleaned out. I see it in my area.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something I always need to remind myself of from time to time is that if I'm buying something that I need (or really want) and plan on using for a long time/the rest of my life, I don't need to get a great deal on it but it has to be what I want.

This kind of logic doesn't extend to impulse purchases or random deals that show up, but only to well thought out and researched purchases.

17. Likes mllud22, old_dave, texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    A lot of good Manual lathes and mills were going for not much more than scrap 20 years ago. The CNC syndrome. Now the guys making prototype parts and hobby machinist have brought the market back some.
    I think the YouTube phenomenon has done a lot to bring these old machines back in style. I'm certainly guilty of it. I got interested in machining about 18 months ago thanks to guys like Tubalcain and This Old Tony.

19. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

u tube makes it easier to become an educated buyer. Although there are some on there giving lessons and advice that need more experience. It's easy to see who knows their s...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know (or care) what the "new" 10k from Grizzly sells for, but from the look of the pictures, and the tooling included, this original late-model genuine South Bend 10k is worth far more, and you would be far better off purchasing the Craigs list 10k. If your goal is to use it and hold on to it for the long term, I think it is not terribly unreasonably priced.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    I thought the gearbox plates were usually attached with round-headed drive screws

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as the 6K collets - screw that!

Get a 5C collet chuck, and buy good quality collets cheap on ebay or at auctions.

It has a slightly larger spindle bore than a 9a, so you can pass larger stock thru.

I'd make an offer on it. Just came back from looking at a heavy 10 that was pretty worn. If this one is good, make your offer.

And the giveaway on the repaint is the ends of the shafts on the apron are painted - they were unpainted from the factory.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How can it be "later" production?
    It would have to be pre-'47, when SB began adding the three-letter suffix. This sn is all numbers...

South Bend Lathe Co.

Production numbers stopped in '43 north of 186,000-and this lathe is 40,058 indicating well before that date. No?