What's new
What's new

10L apron pic

jmm03

Hot Rolled
Hi all,would someone post a picture of the front view of a 10L apron showing the location of the oil cups.I am putting back together an old ex-highschool shop lathe with approximatly 400lbs.of grey paint on it,when the shop teacher didnt have a project for them they painted the machines,the whole machine...I have seemed to have located what appears to be the holes that the oil cups should fit into,one at the left top corner and one at the right frontabout one inch in.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks for your help so far.Regards,jim

1961 SB 10L, dbl tumbler...

SB-10l-apronjpg.jpg

Now that is a nicely spiffed up 10L apron. A big crossfeed dial and a lever instead of the old star wheel. Everything in really good shape and it looks like the gib has plenty of meat on it. I'll bet a penny the oil sump is clean as a whistle too.

Gregm

Greg,

Its an ex-school machine, has its share of wounds inflicted on it. But it is in excellent shape throughout. Have just about every piece of tooling. Would like to find a screw w/ a direct reading dial on the crossfeed.

mark

PS: I have cleaned the sump out a few times.

Hmm. Your 10L has the exact *same* drip
of oil on the bottom of the square pipe plug
under the apron reservoir.

Now I don't feel quite so bad!

Jim

I've had the apron off. And some ham fisted neandrathal (not me) screwed in the drain plug (pipe threads) so tight and put a crack in the lower apron at the drain plug hole. So it drips, its annoying, but tolerable.

mark

I think the drip may come standard on the 10L. My casting was undamaged and the threads were clean, but it still dripped every now and then.

I found the star wheel let me vary the "strength" of the feed, is that possible with the handle- or is it only full on/full off?

Gregm

Myself, I look at feed as either on or off. The feed is basically a clutch mechanism. I'd prefer no slipping.

If something jams up the drive belt will slip on the cone pulleys. And unfortunately thats usually more of a problem. Heavier feeds and depths of cut make my belt slip. I need to get one of those baltimore belting belts.

Mark

Last time I had my apron apart I put in a
brass plug, hoping that would seal better if
the threads were a bit damaged.

Still drips.... :(

Jim

Back