What's new
What's new

10L motor

dullvinci

Cast Iron
Have a 10L toolmaker, single tumbler gearbox, that was under a leaky shed roof for at least ten years. The motor, among other things, needs replacing. Question: is there any reason to go bigger than 3/4 hp, besides getting a good deal on a 1hp? I am going for a single phase capacitor start, (no intention of going 3 phase). Harbor Freight Tools has a pretty good selection, but quality is always an unknown.
I am still in the process of derusting.
Chaz

3/4 hp would probably run that machine just
fine. Do not go over one hp, you don't need
it. If you find a nice 1 hp motor, it would be
fine also.

Jim

I just replaced mine with a 1hp. Why not? it cant hurt. I was switching to single phase. Got a 1hp 110/220 reversable for $100. I did have to redrill the motor plate but that was easy.

Thanks guys. I saw somewhere a mention of a soft start for SBs to reduce shock to lock pin, gears,etc. Anyone know how they accomplish that?

My 10L came to me w/ 1/2 HP...not enough. Go w/ 3/4 or 1 HP. Some cuts will slow down my 1 HP. I don't think a 1.5 would be out of the question. But perhaps a bit overkill.

Mark

soft start, three phase, slow speeds, reversing, and more can be had from a single-phase solid-state VFD now days, running a 1HP AC motor. These units take 220V single phase ( that's house current- same as your electric range uses) and make three phase for the motor, variable speed, etc. runs around 30 dekaclams or a little less.

Back