What's new
What's new

Would like advise on selling my South Bend

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Here is the long and the short of it. I am a big history buff, and love collecting old machines. I had planned a set up in the corner my 1905 Averbeck Shaper, my 1895 W F Barnes, and the topic of our discussion, a South Bend (I believe model 34?) lathe, all run off a little line shaft setup. Currently however my business is growing. Space has always been and always will be a premium. Having a vintage lathe is nice, but I have a super nice 9" that was my grandfathers that I use nearly ever day. And I was fortunate enough to pick up a nice 10EE last spring. Other than capacity, this lathe offers no real addition to the shop. If I need extra capacity I can run to a friends who has 17" swing Model 60 Monarch.

So that brings me to my dilemma. Selling this old girl.

A good friend of mine just sold a SB 14" lathe of similar vintage with some tooling for $2500. We both agreed the guy had more money than brains. I thought about putting the lathe up on ebay, but I hate selling on ebay and avoid it when I can, and I would frankly be afraid that someone would scrap/part it out.

As a business decision I feel like my best course of action is to sell it. If so, what should I ask? Any NE Ohio guys interested?

IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0524.jpg

The lathe comes with two motors and transmissions. The bracket I would believe is either original or a factory accessory. It is too nice to be something "made". The motor that came with the lathe has transmission issues, but the second motor and gear box came off of a working lathe. I should rephrase that, I "believe" the LIMA motor and transmission and bracket are original to the lathe. They may have been aftermarket and installed after the lathe was sold.

Ways are in nice shape, no major issues, though some dings on the inner ways. No major wear, though I have not put an indicator to it. This was on my list of scraping projects along with the shaper.

IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpgIMG_0530.jpgIMG_0531.jpg

Lathe comes decently equipped with change gears (only 3), a 4 jaw, 3 jaw, faceplate, tool post (no rocker?), boring bar tool post and steady rest.

One thing I do love about this vintage lathe is how they put qualified surfaces on the carriage for line boring a part and T slots for clamping it. I really do wish more lathes had that!

If it's truly a "business decision" rather than a sentimental attachment you want to spend as little time as possible getting it out and clearing the space. Around here that would be Craigslist -- and maybe asking $1200 and see if there are any takers. Nice that it comes with several chucks, the steady etc -- but it also looks to need serious attention.

Clean it up and make it work.

It is too large for most hobby buyers and too old for most commercial buyers but perfect for a hobby person running say a farm or into other fields like old cars that needs a larger than normal hobby size lathe to make or modify parts for their true hobby...

Craigs list is the tool and after making it work "sell it".

Many adds just state "lathe for sale", you need to describe it as well as state things you can do with it as the farmer guy may not be looking but a search for something else may bring it up.

Photos help too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Have you sold this lathe yet ? And if not what are you asking. I am in Louisiana and a little more than a newbie but not much and wanting to find a 10 " SB and would have to drive up to pick it up I would imagine? I'm sure Frieght would kill me. So please reply if it's available & price and please make it worth the drive price
Thanks , MIKE ( shootur44 )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that John! I did not even think to look back at my older HTRAL. I will provide a copy of that with the lathe either in digital format or printed.

Mike, this is a 13" lathe. The last I headed south it was 14 or 15 hrs to Lousiana, I cannot see anyway to justify that long of a trip unless you get time and fuel for free.

Thank you for your reply can you tell me the best price you could make on that 13" SB. ?
Thank you , MIKE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back