What's new
What's new

13” compound ball crank retainer and dial thumbscrew specs.

John Strange

Aluminum
I recently acquired a 13” 145b that needs some love in the compound department.

For lack of a replacement part source as of yet, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the compound ball crank retainer nut thread pitch?

EDIT The compound ball crank retainer nut is .555" diameter and 5/16-24 thread.

Does anyone know the thread size used on the compound dial’s thumb screw?

Thank you

Last edited:
My T lathe SN 142442 has a 10/32 thread in that dial. The screw is a slot head set screw,not a thumb screw. A thumb screw might be good. Hmmm.

k3vyl, thank for the info. I believe the screw in my cross feed is slotted as well. I assume the missing compound screw would also be slotted. I informally called it a "thumbscrew" because the one on the cross feed while slotted is also knurled. At any rate I will try a 10-32, thanks.

The ones on mine are set screws that are flush or below the diameter of the dial. They are tricky to loosen when facing down. I had a Logan that had nurled head screws on the dials,easier. There may be brass pads under the screws,I forgot to check that when I took mine out. Check the parts list in the stickeys.

Mine had one original slotted screw and one cobbled up mess put together from what looked like a machine screw with a nut soldered to it. I replaced both with a brass thumbscrew cut to length.

Thank you all around for the bits of info and thoughts. Thankfully I managed to get my compound back in order.

Back