What's new
What's new

13" SB with 17/8 8TPI spindle

Sometimes used ones show up on ebay or someone here will have one, but your best bet is to make one. Get a 1.5x8 backplate and open it up. That presumes you have at least a face plate to hold it with.

allan

Sometimes used ones show up on ebay or someone here will have one, but your best bet is to make one. Get a 1.5x8 backplate and open it up. That presumes you have at least a face plate to hold it with.

allan

unfortunately I do not have a face plate, but thanks for the reply

Bore it out a tad and pick up the thread. 10 minute backplate. Its only an eighth inch. Maybe worn enough to run a tap through.

yeah but if he doesn't have anything to hold it with..

someone could fix this problem by boring a 1.75" hole in a cylinder of wood, heating it in hot water, thread it onto the spindle, tighten some hose clamps around it...

turn a cavity in the block of wood, or face it and leave a cylinder sticking out to center the back plate, run screws through the mounting holes in the backplate to hold it in place..

this is of course assuming its a cast iron back plate. it does not take a lot of cutting force to cut cast iron..

Found a dog plate/drive plate that looks like 1 7/8 X 8, email me and i will send photo.
Mark

Would you consider turning a nut round, fitting it to any face plate that could be bored to accommodate the nut OD, bevel the corners and weld , then mount on the spindle and face and turn the OD..
ASTM A194 2HM HEAVY HEX NUT HVY 1-7/8-8, PLAIN | Fastenal

With having a face plate any thing can be made off that. Might just call it a temporary face plate. Might put a few bolt holes in it.

You could even keep it but then you would have to trust the weld and that is not always good.

*Yes if you can buy one that would be best.

Did you get your lathe to buy things for or make things with?

For what its worth the very first project on my new to me lathe 30 years ago was to make a backing plate out of scrap metal for the second chuck it came with.

I like the idea of welding a 1 7/8 nut to a plate and working from there. Will any 1 7/8 8TPI nut work?

You can get a ASTM A194 2H hex nut at Fastenal for about $30 - that does not mean it will fit right on your spindle

The reason for this it that you have a lathe spindle, not some old bolt

Last edited:
You can get a ASTM A194 2H hex nut at Fastenal for about $30 - that does not mean it will ft right on your spindle

The reason for this it that you have a lathe spindle, not some old bolt

My bad that I did not check the price... $30 is a lot of money.for a jury rig face plate. I was thinking $8 to $10.

Likely you could get a home shop guy to bore and cut the thread to an under size face plate for under $100.

*Beter jump on this 4jaw and face plate for $80
Skinner/South Bend Lathe 6" 4 Jaw Independent Chuck - 1-7/8"- 8tpi | eBay

Back