What's new
What's new

13 " SBL

It would be a good thing to have the newer lathe if it wasn't so rusted. It will be interesting to see if you can get the ways on the bed cleaned up. I have never seen one so rusted. I would think it would take a total rebuild. It might be better to break it up for parts. It is too bad some one let it go like that. Was it stored outside?

I would strip it down, remove the headstock, tailstock and carriage. Then i would sand down the ways with a long sanding block taking care not to change any angles on the ways. It should clean up nice. I don't know if there are wear marks in the ways. But i would not make them any deeper, just clean off the rust. I just bought a 16" in almost the same shape, but with no wear on the ways just surface rust. it should clean up ok for what i need it for. The double handle lathes still have some parts available, either from LeBlond or Rose at Parts Works...Bob

The ways aren't as bad as they look. It's had some cosmoline on the bed at some time. I measured it today and it has a 5 ft bed which is pretty nice. That with the taper attachment and big dials makes it a good one to me. The # is 6836TKL13 I'm doing some research on it.
Thanks for the help

use lots of oil, steel wool and elbow grease to clean off that rust. Will leave a nice patina that is quite rust resistant. Any abrasive will scratch the metal leaving it very susceptable to further rusting.

Jim C.

I did some more looking into it and it has a 7' bed and the large spindle hole. Shame it doesn't have a "D" nose. How common is the 7' bed? I've used a few SB's and the longest I remember was about 4'. I'm sort of of the belief that longer is better within reason.
I appreciate the replies.

In that model of the 13 inch the most common was the 5 ft bed, which give you about 28 inches between centers. It was available in 4,5,6,and 7 ft. Yours should let you go about 42 inches between centers, which is a pretty big piece of steel. As long as you have the room, a longer bed is good, all other things being equal.

Back