What's new
What's new

13" x 6 ft South bend prices?

ttm

Aluminum
Hello, is a south bend 13" x 6 ft lathe really worth 4500? it looks ok from the pics.

they say it is a mid 70 model lathe, from the looks of the pic, I assume the overall length of the lathe is about 6 ft, as the between centers does not look it from the pics, there is no model number or serial number listed, it is only listed as a 13 inch X 6 feet Southbend Metal Engine Lathe; weighes about 1650 pounds; about 1976 model; 3 and 4 jaw chucks; 3 phase with single phase phase-converter, 2 horse-power motor.

thanks!

Too much money with too little info. Be very very careful of this one. $15 to $2500. would be lots for that style of machine. These smaller hobby type lathes have gone up due to demand not due to the machine themselves. You have to look out for people trying to make a fast buck feeding on people with metal fever. :codger:

I paid $1000 for mine with a 3 and 4 jaw chucks, threading dial and micrometer stop. Its a 74 model with little wear. So $4500 is too much.

Where is it listed? I'd like to see it (for $4,500).

If that machine isn't museum-grade, or "Brad-grade" (joke) - then I believe the seller is possibly out of his mind.

I paid $1500 for mine. It's a 1950s lathe in very nice condition. It came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, 2 face plates and drive dogs, Full set of Hardinge 5C collets and handwheel closer, steady rest, taper attachment, 50lbs of carbide and hss tool bits, 4 position qc tool post, lantern tool post and holders, tons of live and dead centers, Morse taper adapters etc.

Last edited:
It does have a taper attachment.. I think I've seen those going for about 700 on the bay, can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
The Ex gave (I think) 1300 for a fairly worn 13" with only a three jaw here in Savannah many moons ago, she did have the blessings of the vo-tech teacher though. Iron is a bit scarce down here.

Edit, Lucky, you certainly were!

I paid $1500 for mine. It's a 1950s lathe in very nice condition. It came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, 2 face plates and drive dogs, Full set of Hardinge 5C collets and handwheel closer, steady rest, taper attachment, 50lbs of carbide and hss tool bits, 4 position qc tool post, lantern tool post and holders, tons of live and dead centers, Morse taper adapters etc.

Damn! Hence the name "Lucky 13" I guess, :D

He gave his number. Someone should call him and let him know that the machine will not move, at approx. 3 times the going rate.... with No tooling...

This lathe looks to be in good condition. Has a taper attachment. If it was manufactured in the '70s it shoul have a hardened bed. I would say that this lathe should be worth $3000. On the other hand, the milling machine is a old horizontal with a cobbled up Bridgeport head. If it didn't have the Bridgeport head, it would be worth about $500.

Lord Byron

The lathe is not worth $4500, however, it looks to be well cared for. It's a toolroom model with toolroom clutch, has taper attatchment with original chip shield still installed (most got mangled and/or thrown away). It does have "hard" ways. All of the aforementioned add value, and with machinery rare in the area adding a premium, without tooling it is over-priced. If it were close to me, I'd make an appointment to check it out and take cash with me just in case it turns out to be a "pristine", unmolested unit in original paint, and make the man an offer of what I think it's worth ! All he can say is no. That's one mans opinion.

$4500 is way off base...there is a 14 1/2 inch 6 foot bed SBL on ebay right now with tooling
for $1750.00

Call and see if it is a typo - he may have meant $450 . Does it have a cam lock spindle? I paid 1500 plus round trip fuel to get one like it so I would say no more than 1800

$4500.00, Is to high, Around here ,In Indiana, They go for around $2200.00- $2500.00, depending on tooling . But ,i guess it depends on if you are buying or selling , what you think it is worth.
Look around, there are better deals out there. Sorry Seller.

As a reference point, a lot of two together sold yesterday at a community tech college in VA - Description was not good, and some of the associated tooling was mixed into cabinets in the 3 other lots of lathes. They looked to be very late model original SB 13 x 6ft, hardened ways, D1 camlock spindles, and two cabinets of stuff (collets, etc.) for 3510 plus tax and admin fees for a total of 4036.50. Buyer was probably a dealer since he bought 7 lots, a total of 6 lathes, 3 mills, 2 surface grinders, 3 drill presses and several pedestal grinders, bandsaw, media blaster.... South Bend Lathes qty 2--- specific viewing times & removal dates - GovDeals.com

I inspected one that sold near me two weeks ago that I thought was a good deal, but it went just a little too far past my still-recession-bit budget. 1942 navy lathe that ended up at the student shop of a 4-year college. Grime upon grim upon grime from sitting unused in the corner, 13 x 5, beautiful ways good screws, not a chipped tooth anywhere, early small-hole spindle but updated to expander sleeve bearings, 3J, 4J, big Fp with 5 dogs, lantern holder, no taper att., Jacobsen flex collets and chuck, 5 tool holders. Bolted to a pallet, forklift available to load, and it went for 1210.

Back