What's new
What's new

16" - Apron Lock disengaged

Richard Reid

Plastic
On my 16" SB lathe circa 1960's, the square head bolt to the far right, for locking the apron and saddle position for facing operations has become disengaged from the threaded part below or inside the apron. The lathe sat up for some time and I'm afraid someone else was fooling with it. The long bolt lifts right up out of there now. I have the exploded parts diagrams but the lock parts are very small and indistinct. I have seen diagrams of the heavy 10 SB lock casting and a post that mentioned that the 16" lathe lock is similar but larger. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever solved this problem more easily than taking the apron apart or off the saddle? Does anyone know if the lock casting would still be in there or could it have fallen out and been lost? If I take off the apron, is there any other routine things that I should not miss to clean, lubricate or replace? If the lock casting is missing or broken, any ideas where I might get an accurate drawing or replacement part for this 16" lathe?.

Another issue I have found after my not using it, is the bull gear plunger pin seems to be broken off inside, ie does not engage the bull gear to the spindle any more. Does anyone know if that plunger pin is replaceable, if I took off the bull gear, or do I need to get an entire bull gear assembly?

Please add a location to your profile, as per board rules.

Make sure to drain your apron before taking it off from the saddle, there is a square headed brass plug on the bottom of the apron. Put a catch container under it and remove the bolt, like changing oil in a car.
Then there are four flat head "Stove" bolts in the top of the saddle, remove them then the apron fasting should fall. Before you put it back together it might not be a bad idea to rewick the apron. The wicks distribute oil from the gitz oilers to the gears and other parts that need lube. It's important they are in good working condition.

be aware that the leadscew passes through the back side of the apron- do NOT let the apron fall.
if you do this *please* block up the apron securely so it can`t fall. the apron on a 16" is pretty heavy and can do some serious damage to both the machine and you if you allow it to fall.

Back