What's new
What's new

16" south bend crossfeed screw

Dustywbradberry

Plastic
Looking for a feed screw for 16" south bend. I've found a few on eBay but there different from what I have. All I have is the shaft with the gear on it and the handle it's missing the actual screw. Was going to post a picture but couldn't figure out how

Attachments

• 20171029_143434.jpg
    20171029_143434.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Was going to post a picture but couldn't figure out how

Assuming use of ordinary PC...

Go Advanced
Manage Attachments
Find your jpg
Follow through on upload of thumbnail
Photos will be automatically resized

Sounds like you have the near-to-you half of a telescoping screw used with taper attachment

I don't have the taper attachment. The lathe was missing a few parts when I got it. Can it be put back together without the taper attachment? Yes it does have a keyway

I don't have the taper attachment. The lathe was missing a few parts when I got it. Can it be put back together without the taper attachment? Yes it does have a keyway

With a solid screw. T/A screw has the thrust bearings back there with taper attach. Another way of saying, no, you won't have cross feed thrust bearing trying to use telescoping parts

Add thumbnail

Attachments

• 10 to 16 TA.jpg
    10 to 16 TA.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 131
Easy fix is buy a piece of acme stock in the size you need(5/8" or 11/16"?)

Turn down the end to a tight sliding fit, loctite in place and then pin it.

Use a removable locktite in case you ever get a taper attachment.

So your saying I will just need a solid screw without the taper attachment?

Your part is for a taper attachment. If you don't intend on installing one, yes you would need a one piece, solid one. It should be in the area of 22.5" long. My 16's use 11/16 x 8 LH thread. A gear is a part of the one piece. With 11/16 the dial should be marked from 0 to 120. Not sure if 5/8" reads to 120 on dial, or what the tpi is.

It should look like this in this listing though crossfeed nut is hand turned on this one:
16”. south bend lathe large dial leadscrew Lot#12 | eBay

The problem with ebay used crossfeed screws is you dont know how wore it is, and the cost is in the area of what a new one should be. I would call these guys in this link to see if they can make you a new one:
Products – Miller Machine and Fabrication

Back