What's new
What's new

New Member Just picked up a 9

Richard M

Plastic
Hi all! great site, very informative. I just bought a South Bend Catalog No. 180-R. 9" x 4 1/2' bed serial # 58184. It's looks to be very well taken care of, I assume it has original paint. I'll see if I can post a few pictures, it came with lots of tooling etc, I'll be honest, I don't know much about them. I'm in the logging business and thought it would be handy to make my own bushings etc. Besides, I liked the chests the tooling came in, haha. Now, how do I post pictures?

No, just happened to stumble upon this one BB. It came out of Butte and I have it in C-Falls now, until I get my shop completed up near Eureka.

sb4.jpg

haven't had the chance to shine er up yet, there's a little duct tape residue here and there. I don't think it's been used in at least 15 years, I oiled it up and ran it for a few minutes. How should a person clean this? the gears etc.

sb5.jpg

here's just a portion of the tooling

Tooling1.jpg

what are the ones on the right used for?

Tooling3.jpg

Tooling2.jpg

tooling11.jpg

So, what do I have here?

Nice-looking lathe, Richard. And you really did well to get all the extra tooling with it. Before you do much more with it, I suggest you obtain a copy of How To Run A Lathe (available from eBay or Lindsay Publications), and maybe read some of the other threads here from individuals who just purchased SB lathes.

Yours looks like a fairly early model, before the 9" "Workshop" lathe became an established line. Serial number indicates somewhere in mid-thirties(?) There are more knowledgeable persons here than me on this particular vintage -- hopefully one of them has a better idea.

what are the ones on the right used for?
Those are tapered mandrels, and you are fortunate to have them. They are tapered around .006" per foot, and are used for finish turning work between centers. (p. 90 of HTRAL)

How should a person clean this? the gears etc.
For that sort of cleaning, I usually use a mild solvent, such as mineral spirits.

Paula

180 R is shown in the 1934 #94 catalog. The longest one they made. This is the "real" nine - as Paula said, before the advent of the lighter "Workshop" nine. Your lathe weighed 870 lbs crated, and of course more with the goodies. It was $403 in 1934 with hardly any extras, or the better part of the cost of a new Ford.

John

Paula,

It did come with a copy of "How to run a lathe, volume 2". My friend is a 75 year old fabricator/machinist and I stored it at his place. He is going to educate me as well as he can.
IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

I like how the oil ports are red
machinistchest.jpg

This vintage Union tool chest came with the following:
Tooling7.jpg

Tooling6.jpg

Tooling5.jpg

Tooling8.jpg

Tooling9.jpg

And here's a few more items that came with it.

Tooling4.jpg

more bits from the larger chest
Tooling10.jpg

anyone know what the tool in the middle left is?
Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like you got a good deal. I was given an old Union chest like that from my Father-in-law, I re-finished it and gave it to my wife for a jewelry box for Christmas.

"This is the "real" nine - as Paula said, before the advent of the lighter "Workshop" nine."

Also known as the "Heavy Nine". You find that the width and dimensions of the bed ways are the same as a Heavy Ten. I also see you have the very rare steady rest and extremely rare, almost non-existant follow rest, great buy! I recently sold a Heavy Nine steady to a fellow list member. It came with my H10, fit the ways, but didn't line up to the spindle, what gives I asked myself :confused: until I educated myself on Heavy Nines.

Looking at your picture, one can easily see from where the Heavy Ten is derived from.

Jeff

This is one of the earliest wide-bed "R" series lathes I have seen. The R series had the double wall apron with the modern feed shift selector, also had the "new" spud lock Compound. The N series, which had a different apron, still retained the T bolt compound.
Both had Top-oiling headstocks, the next series after the R was the S series, which did have the side oiling headstock, as did the next "T" series also. This lathe is a late 1934 or early 1935. The serial number would be a good one to call Leblond on as it falls at the end or beginning of the year.
I suspect it's a 1935 but can't make the call. It appears to have all the added sundries of a complete tool room lathe, which I would call it. It does appear to be in original paint.
South Bend stopped japanning in 1934 and this is the green gray first enamel. Note the cream/yellowish color inside the bed, an indication of an original finish lathe.
Now everyone will just have to trust me when I say this is not an "O" series lathe and I've never seen an "R" it in this early of a catalog. What this shows us is that the O, N and R series lathes for at least a few years were being made at the same time. The original series, The "O" lathe started in 1906, it is easy to identify by the more squared corners of the apron and with power feed will always have a star knob or round knob with star in the center for feed shift engagement. As time went on I suspect the O series was a more cost effective lathe and a real moneymaker for South Bend, so they would be reluctant to phase it out. I believe this happened when the Workshop series lathes took off in sales.
Richard, I believe you have a very nice original condition, well maintained very early edition R series wide bed 9. Something special I think. I would try to get more info from Leblond.
If you can take a few more pictures for me, I would like to post them to my photo files
on my web site. You may e-mail them to me at: [email protected]

Steve Wells
www.wswells.com

Thanks VERY much for all the responses. Ya'll, or as they say down South, All Ya'll make this forum the best one I have ever been to.

Richard

Back