What's new
What's new

1928 9" - Almost....

That's a beautiful lathe. Nice job.

I would urge you to think carefully about flood cooling for it though. While that sort of cooling has its place in an industrial production setting, I have found that the coolant gets into places you'd rather it didn't and many of the coolants that I've seen discolor iron parts so if you have a pristine lathe like yours, you may have trouble keeping it that way.

I would urge you to think carefully about flood cooling for it though. While that sort of cooling has its place in an industrial production setting, I have found that the coolant gets into places you'd rather it didn't and many of the coolants that I've seen discolor iron parts so if you have a pristine lathe like yours, you may have trouble keeping it that way.
Ditto that. Good job looks nice.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. I have a replacement motor i am going to use initially, but am planning on pulling apart, cleaning and trying to get original back to working.
In fact, immediately working on adapter to employ newer motor without damaging or altering original base. Still need to braze switch arm back together as well.
I dont think i will be necessarily flood cooling, but directed air/coolant misting. Just an idea. Like to try, but if it doesn't prove useful...

Ditto on the nice machine. Taper attachment for that year is rare. I have 2 wide nines. No taper attachments. Is your gear box a 2 threads per inch gearbox?
If it is I modified my gear train to double the threads on the quick change gearbox. Starts at 4 threads per inch now. The mod was simple and did not alter the looks of the machine in any way. It does however have a newer QCGB chart for thread selection.

Love that lathe! I have one just like it (1929), minus the taper att. I use mist coolant a lot on my Sheldon and it greatly increases cutter life. It may not be worth the time or cost on the SB, since 'pushing' the performance on these usually amounts to machine limits instead of cutter limits.

Ditto on the nice machine. Taper attachment for that year is rare. I have 2 wide nines. No taper attachments. Is your gear box a 2 threads per inch gearbox?
If it is I modified my gear train to double the threads on the quick change gearbox. Starts at 4 threads per inch now. The mod was simple and did not alter the looks of the machine in any way. It does however have a newer QCGB chart for thread selection.
Yes, starts with 2 TPI

Love that lathe! I have one just like it (1929), minus the taper att. I use mist coolant a lot on my Sheldon and it greatly increases cutter life. It may not be worth the time or cost on the SB, since 'pushing' the performance on these usually amounts to machine limits instead of cutter limits.
Thats my thought, help with tool life and also help keep part cool, clean up finish.

Got real lucky with this. Looks like it was used briefly and for what ever reason, left alone. The grime it was covered in, when i got it, definitely protected it over the years.

20170726_201102.jpg

Correct method for removing sprocket?? I am sure it would be hell to replace this if i botched removal.
I am assuming this is a tapered key and needs removed away from motor. ??

Yep. That is a Gib headed key. Put a punch on the edge of the head and drive the key toward the end of the shaft.
The key is tapered so once it lets go, it should move pretty easy.

Hope to have it running tomorrow. Finished switching over chain sprocket. Had to make an adapter/sleeve to go from .75" sprocket to new motor shaft at.625". Got mounting plate / motor adapter setup, sprocket on new motor and chain guard back on. Still need to line up pulley up to lathe, drill and tap to mount pulley, wire motor switch, and final tensioning. Sooo close.

20170728_231255.jpg
20170728_231351.jpg
20170728_231931.jpg
20170728_232916.jpg
20170728_233848.jpg

There were 2 pins on base that were not symmetrical, so i used 4 custom aluminum washers .25 x 1.50" to offset the first plate which provides adjustment in line with motor shaft and used a second plate for mounting motor and providing front to back adjustment for chain tension. Looking at it with fresh eyes, i do believe i am going to reverse the sprocket orientation on the motor shaft as it maxes adjustment. All the aluminum was drawn in 2d .dxf, converted and cut on a co2 laser. Waterjet was occupied. :)

I would like to make a stainless switch enclosure to mount on the stand, but that will have to wait. Chips.

So I have everything lined up and hooked up power temporarily. Now I have a noise issue to identify. While the motor is operating there is a horrid noise. Putting pressure or holding different parts of both lathe and motor stand does nothing to flatten the noise. Rechecked all fasteners and nothing is loose. As soon as i cut power the noise disappears. What i mean to say is, while it is still spinning, once electric is cut or coasting, it is free of noise and very smooth. I want to think it is the motor / bearings. Any ideas or opinions??

Back