What's new
What's new

1928 Junior felt retainer screw size?

Post pictures of what your talking about if you get a chance. I'd like to know what it's in store for me. Felt retainers and wipers...

Thanks...I'll have a look at mine when I get back in the shop. Another question for yall...how do you remove the spindle gear and bull gear? The both look to be press fit. I posted a new thread but maybe you guys can answer a little quicker.

Thanks...I'll have a look at mine when I get back in the shop. Another question for yall...how do you remove the spindle gear and bull gear? The both look to be press fit. I posted a new thread but maybe you guys can answer a little quicker.

I've been told the retainers I posted won't work on a junior, retainers and felts off a 10L work I've been told.

Although not your model lathe this vid might be of some help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1agcVkQ63U , my knowledge of lathes is minimal so check with other's with more knowledge.

I took a look at my lathe when I got home....it looks like a see screw holes in the saddle/apon in the pictures. Did you drill and tap these? I have no screw holes where I think I see yours.

I had seen that video previously, but thanks. I think thats a regular 9A he's taking apart and the take up nut just spins off over the spindle gear it looked like. On ours, the spindle gear is much larger than the spindle and the takeup nut wont come off with this gear in place.

I took a look at my lathe when I got home....it looks like a see screw holes in the saddle/apon in the pictures. Did you drill and tap these? I have no screw holes where I think I see yours.

No, that's how I bought it.....I've seen video's of junior lathes and they all had them.

Dark age,
During your resto, have you taken the spindle completly out to inspect the bearings? If so....the groove in the bearings...do you know if those are supposed to have felt? Mine did not.

Dark age,
During your resto, have you taken the spindle completly out to inspect the bearings? If so....the groove in the bearings...do you know if those are supposed to have felt? Mine did not.

I bought my lathe here at my winter home, it won't be in use until I get back to my main home. The only things I've done are cleaning and oiling, I have very little knowledge of lathes in general so I can't answer your question......I would like to know though before setting it for use.

Thanks, I saw that lastnight...thats why I was asking. The further I get into this thing the more I realize there isn't a ton of information on the Jr lathes as far as details go. There is all the information you want on the 9" workshop lathe. I read a post somewhere that said wick material can be purchased from McMaster-Carr...I checked it out, a little pricey for what it is but they have it.

Back